Author Topic: The Arsenal Thread  (Read 30536 times)

Online silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
Re: The Arsenal Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 22:15 »
All we need is a similar result in mid-week...

Well, one can only hope.

Looks like the gunners have inherited liverpool's past bad luck and slump.

I wouldn't call it either bad luck nor slump.

If you need to play 4 totally new faces who wouldn't have even got into Liverpool's substitute's bench, on the 2nd game of the season, something's awfully wrong with the team.
Walcott was terrible too, to add to the misery.
Only 11 days left for Arsene to spend.... he needs all the "motivation" he can get.   :P :P :P

Offline Pingu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2011, 02:08 »
Losing to Wigan after being 2-0 up wasnt enough.

Losing to Spurs after being 2-0 up at home wasnt enough.

Drawing with Newcastle after being 4-0 up wasnt enough.

Would an absolute spanking at Udinese be enough?

One can only hope... >:(
xxx

Offline vp171s

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 13:13 »
Losing to Wigan after being 2-0 up wasnt enough.

Losing to Spurs after being 2-0 up at home wasnt enough.

Drawing with Newcastle after being 4-0 up wasnt enough.

Would an absolute spanking at Udinese be enough?

One can only hope... >:(

According to Arsene Wenger, it's "scandalous luck" that "every decision in the past three or four months" has gone against his side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/14603102.stm

If Samir Nasri leaves, AW may well be forced to buy reinforcement. However latest rumour is that transfer talk has broken down i.e. AW feels even less compelled to go into the transfer market.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 20:24 »
while I would agree that Arsenal have been very unlucky with very many decisions recently, I dont see that washing for the club's current predicament.

Was it luck that saw Cesc leave and no replacement signed for him?
Was it luck that has lead to the Nasri saga dragging on and on?
Was it  luck that saw the new signing get sent off for caressing the cheek of Barton despite the intervention of several players?
Was it luck that made Song try that stupid stamp on the same player? Surely even braindeads must know about tv replays and retrospective punishment?
You could go on listing...

I mean, we know Arsene doesnt do tactics, doesnt do defending, now he wont do any buying too. But couldnt he at least do something about the discipline within the  squad? Kolcieny getting sent off against Liverpool last season was somewhat unluckly. Van Persie against Barcelona too. But not Diaby's. Not Gervinho's. Certainly not Song's. And all this has cost the club dearly.

Still, so long as there is Champion's League football, it's alright for the Board and management. Well, hopefully Udinese will have something to say about that.

Arsenal is headed towards mid-table obscurity. With or without Wenger. Who can compete with the Chelseas and Citys? It's just that with Wenger in charge the process has been somewhat accelerated... :P
xxx

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 14:55 »
So, Arsenal made it after all... Hats off to a resolute display. Winning both legs of the tie is not easy.

Wenger said: "We live in a society where everybody has an opinion on everything. I'm like somebody who flies a plane for 30 years and I have to accept that somebody can come into the cockpit and thinks he can fly the plane better than I do.

:) :)

Then again, this win came with both Gervinho and Song playing...

xxx

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2011, 16:58 »
After the tentative play in the first two PL games, at least it's a return to the somewhat swashbuckling, quick-pass footy, admittedly often with no end result, that made Arsenal such an attractive side to watch last season before the post-CC final implosion.  Walcott's goal was worthy of Henry himself, a confident cut-in from the left flank, coolly slotted into the tiny gap between the keeper and the near post as the keeper tried to cover the far post as well.  Van Persie showed how lethal he can be, keeping up a fairly incredible record of scoring in away games.

The defending was a bit heart-in-the-mouth, and perhaps admittedly it was only because Udinese's star striker is a (relative) senior citizen that he was unable to capitalise more than once.  But Szczesny proved once again why in this close season, Arsenal didn't look for a new keeper, and most fans didn't clamour for one either -- that penalty save was truly brilliant, Schmeichel-esque, even. 

Given the trevails of the past few months, this is certainly a strong positive step; with ECL qualification now assured and the resultant revenue stream, hopefully the board will loosen the pursestrings and targets sitting on the fence now know for certain there will be ECL football at Arsenal this season.  And Le Boss keeps his 100% record (for what it is worth) in ECL qualifiers, which I suppose isn't a bad record to have, is it?
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 02:37 »
xxx

Offline armoury

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 11:48 »
^^  Ya know, might as well draft some of those girls, they can't be any smaller than the kids playing in our first team anyway... and at least they have the winners' mentality -- Arsenal Ladies have been champions for several years running now, with a quadruple back in 2007 or 08.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 14:07 »
Read somewhere abt Wenger talking about the 8 senior players he had unavailable for the game.

The players that played: Szczezny, Djourou, Koscielny, Traore, Jenkinson, Rosicky, Ramsey, Coquelin, Arshavinl, Walcott & Van Persie.

Who was unavailable?

Vermalean? The guy who played 5 games last season?
Gibbs? Who?
Wishere? The rookie from last season? Who will probably be out for the whole of this season?
Song? The guy who was unavailable for 2 impt games because of the needless stamp?
Gervinho? The new purchase? An another brainless one too?

Nope, that was as near a full-strength side  as we will see from Arsenal this season. The fans have been seeing this coming for some time. But not Wenger. Not the Board.

Now, which self-respecting 'super quality' player will want to join the club in the next few days, I wonder...  :P

I dread to think what Swansea would do next... :-X

(Still, with Chamberlain and Miyaichi and Jenkinson etc I'm sure we'll walk the Championship next season... And then no one can say Arsenal havent won anything in years...! ;))
xxx

Online silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 14:18 »
LOL!
Pingu, luv your comments, especially the last part.  :p

It's ironic, ain't it? Wenger hesitated on buying earlier on because he wanted to get those players at a cheaper price, and talks stalled because he was haggling over 1-2 million quid.
But now at the end of the transfer window, even mediocre players will be going for high prices, especially since they know the buyer is desperate.
Looks like he's about to be scalped.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 14:30 »
like Cahill for 12 million...

the fact is the landscape has changed so much since the Invincibles. First with Chelsea and now ManCity. And  Arsenal have not just kept still, they have actually gone backwards. Way backwards Imagine a boy like Chamberlain being introduced in a game at OT?  :o
xxx

Offline armoury

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 15:45 »
Who was unavailable?

Vermalean? The guy who played 5 games last season?
Wishere? The rookie from last season? Who will probably be out for the whole of this season?
Song? The guy who was unavailable for 2 impt games because of the needless stamp?
Gervinho? The new purchase? An another brainless one too?

Nope, that was as near a full-strength side  as we will see from Arsenal this season. The fans have been seeing this coming for some time. But not Wenger. Not the Board.

Rather harsh: yes Vermaelen only played a few games last season, but the season before he was awesome, and was too in the Udinese games.  He leads the back four, without him they were utterly headless chickens. 

Wilshere may have been a rookie and is still a kid, but there's no disputing his impact on the side.  There's a reason that he's already a full international and we had that whole U-21 or not debate (and that's not just because England aren't that great...)

Song's mindlessness certainly caused his suspension, but while it is certainly his fault that he was unavailable, that's not to say that he wasn't missed.

Gervinho has looked useful in his few games so far, again in particular against Udinese.  So he too was missed, and his suspension was somewhat harsh considering that the true perpatrator, one odious Joey Barton, got away with a mere booking.

But I do agree, Wenger and the board really do have to splash the cash, even if it's over the odds.  So bloody what if it's a few more mill than you think the player is worth, what price failure?  And now we're not just looking at missing out on the title -- which was possibly the outcome of his being reluctant to buy in January 2011 or January 2009, but this time around, we're not even going to finish in the top six (not just top four) if there aren't some serious reinforcements.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 09:54 »
Rather harsh: yes Vermaelen only played a few games last season, but the season before he was awesome, and was too in the Udinese games.  He leads the back four, without him they were utterly headless chickens. 

Wilshere may have been a rookie and is still a kid, but there's no disputing his impact on the side.  There's a reason that he's already a full international and we had that whole U-21 or not debate (and that's not just because England aren't that great...)

Song's mindlessness certainly caused his suspension, but while it is certainly his fault that he was unavailable, that's not to say that he wasn't missed.

Gervinho has looked useful in his few games so far, again in particular against Udinese.  So he too was missed, and his suspension was somewhat harsh considering that the true perpatrator, one odious Joey Barton, got away with a mere booking.

But I do agree, Wenger and the board really do have to splash the cash, even if it's over the odds.  So bloody what if it's a few more mill than you think the player is worth, what price failure?  And now we're not just looking at missing out on the title -- which was possibly the outcome of his being reluctant to buy in January 2011 or January 2009, but this time around, we're not even going to finish in the top six (not just top four) if there aren't some serious reinforcements.

Vermalean - yes, it was unfortunate and he was missed. But the 2 CBs who played were not junior but senior players. So no excuse. (How many games has Ferdinand missed in recent years?)

Wilshire - relying on a rookie as a senior player and offering his absence as an excuse. Need I say more?
Besides, in true Arsenal fashion, he will most likely miss the major part of this season. So we already have a permanent excuse for the season then... :P

Song - yes, was certainly missed. But if you can't teach your multi-millionaire professionals some basic discipline and common sense I dont think you can offer their unavailability through suspensions as an excuse.

Gervinho - Barton is certainly odious but that didnt just happen overnight, right? The respective punishments are a joke but, hey, this is England. You want to play here you got to learn to deal with the Bartons. And the Phil Dowds. Did you see the no. of Arsenal players who were trying to keep Gervinho away from the odious one? Yet he persisted on caressing his cheek... Yes, Gervinho could have made a difference on Sunday but his unavailability due to an act of stupidity is a recurring symptom of Arsenal's ailment under Wenger...

But I will concede one point - the absence of Sagna. He was injured and his presence could well have made some difference to the scoreline - certainly Young would have had something more to think about than scoring spectacular goals from outside the box... Then again, hasnt Sagna, arguably the best rightback in the league, been playing leftback recently? Oh ya, our senior and regular leftback Gibbs is out injured. Now, that's certainly an acceptable excuse! :P
xxx

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 13:38 »
Park, Santos, Mertesacker.

With more to follow...

I need to lie down some........
xxx

Offline jerms