Author Topic: The Arsenal Thread  (Read 32671 times)

Offline Pingu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
The Arsenal Thread
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:59 »
With the impending start of the new season and all the doom and gloom of Arsenal fans ( and to keep myself out of mischief at Planet General! ;)) I have decided to start this thread and see where it leads.

Given the way the last season ended and all that's happened since, I'm hoping it's only up! :)

And for a start:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/12/arsene-wenger-cesc-fabregas

you gotta admit, the guy sure can field  them! :)
xxx

Offline silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
Re: The Arsenal Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 21:10 »
Well, to be fair I think last season was a fluke. Arsenal should have done much worse last season but surprised everyone by doing pretty well.
Individuals like Nasri stepped up in the absence of Fabregas to keep Arsenal in the hunt, when they were written off before the season even started.
I vividly remember some of the ManU fans here even saying that Arsenal wouldn't even finish top-6 for last season. Even I predicted a 5th or 6th place finish.

And last season, Arsenal played so many games without their best defender (Vermaelen), best midfielder (Fabre) and best striker (RvP), and some might argue, their then best goalkeeper (Almunia).

This season, however, I DO see only doom and gloom. Not just with the loss of Glichy and the impending loss of Fabre and Nasri, however, but with the general lack of worthy replacements.
With no proper replacements and no creative midfielder left in the squad, strikers like RvP and Chamakh will be pretty useless. They certainly can't make goals on their own, unlike Henry.

To even have a ghost of a chance, Arsenal really needs a good midfielder with leadership qualities. I dare say someone in the Wesley Sneider class.
With a potential 50m quid to spend, I hope Wenger does splash out a bit, else this coming season is gonna be pretty grim.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 21:43 »
Another piece:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/this-french-resistance-to-the-obvious-truthcest-magnifique-2336710.html

For me, while losing Cesc is a real loss, I'm quite okay with Nasri leaving, and certainly with Clichy too. Ramsey can probably replace Nasri in terms of creativity and Clichy, I think he really needed to move on! It's the lack of signings that's worrying. Didnt Wenger himself say at the end of last season that new signings were needed? Perhaps no one wants to come to Arsenal any longer? :P
xxx

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 10:55 »
Gervinho, welcome to England!! ;D
xxx

Offline arsene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:24 »
What a drab draw last night. The attach lacks creativity.  I think Wenger should just play 4-4-2 with another striker supporting RVP.  Dun understand why he likes to buy striker and play them as attacking midfielders.  Look at Gervinho & Bendtner.

Offline silencer13

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 17:24 »
Didnt Wenger himself say at the end of last season that new signings were needed? Perhaps no one wants to come to Arsenal any longer? :P

It's not a matter of no one wanting to come, it's a matter of Wenger haggling over the price.
Take Mata for example, the player himself wanted to come, the club was willing to let him go, but it never went through because of a 1-2 million difference in price. (less than 10% IIRC)
Now it looks like more of the same for Jadson.

Wenger went on to rant that player's valuations were now 3 to 4 times what he valued them at. Maybe he needs to move with the times?

I'm also as confused as you are on his stance. He DID say he would get new signings, and that they NEEDED to sign new and quality players.
In fact, just last week he hinted that he was going to sign some super quality "next week":
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/940358/arsenal-boss-arsene-wenger-plots-signing-of-?cc=4716

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 20:55 »
I really love this gem from the Guardian article:

But would he be introducing a new centre-back before the closing of the transfer window? "Yes, because Vermaelen played only five games last year."

;D ;D
xxx

Offline silencer13

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 21:07 »
Yah, *slaps forehead*.
By that same reasoning, selling Fabre would be good too, since he missed half of last season, and when he was back in the team the team actually lost more games than when he was out.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 00:21 »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/942813/arsenal-skipper-fabregas-finally-signs-for-barcelona?cc=4716

for the first time ever, I'll be rooting for Mourinho/Real Madrid this season... ;)
xxx

Offline badbad2000

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47 »
As long as wenger stay Arsenal wont win any cup for sure. His style of managing is out-dated.
Watching Arsenal game is the pain in the axx. I give up on watching them live. Just knowing the score next day and react "expected".
The current team just not champion quality. His team like a new speaker, need time to run in or burn in whatever it is.
By the time the players are on their best, they want to leave.

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:50 »
for the first time ever, I'll be rooting for Mourinho/Real Madrid this season... ;)

Wasn't it inevitable that he'd return to Barca someday?

God grant me the serenity... etc etc :D

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:49 »
Actually, best wishes to him lah. Really difficult to blame him over this. It is Barcelona and the way they had been going about it that irks me. And they have been my favourite continental team since the days of Cryuff... :P

Anyway, digressing a bit, is this Mata guy really worth the trouble? With these Spanish guys, the moment Real or Barca come calling they seem to go running. So why bother training and  developing them just for this to happen?. There was Reyes, Alonso, now Cesc.
Of course Reina is still at Liverpool. But that could be because of Cassillas and Valdez...
xxx

Offline silencer13

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 15:48 »
Can you *really* blame them? I mean look at the playing styles.

In Spain, they play a nice flowing brand of football with plenty of flair and not *too* many hard tackles. (well, Barca, Real and Valencia do anyway)
English football at times resembles more like a rugby match rather than football. Hard tackles flying in, flair players get brought down or tugged back the moment they touch the ball, career or season-ending tackles abound.... coupled with a very long season, many more games and a higher tax, if I were in their shoes it makes more sense to play in Spain.

Offline Pingu

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 15:57 »
ya, in Spain you have Messi, Ronaldo, Xavi, Iniesta...

In England you have... Barton! ;D
xxx

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 16:23 »
.. and Rooney LOL