Author Topic: Larger Flat Screen TV discussion thread (> 50" and more....)  (Read 430553 times)

Offline in1voice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
For me, I think anything larger than 60" would be better served by a projector screen.  A large black screen in the living hall will look very strange and dominating.  A retractable screen will be much less intrusive... of course if you can live with the inconvenience of having to darken the room everytime you want to use the PJ.

Offline specuvestor

How about the newly revealed Pioneer/Sharp LED collaborated TV's.  Coming in 60" and 70" for US$6k and 8.5k respectively.  Wonder if it will make it into Sillypore.

Funny part is you need to double the price when it comes to Singapore... not sure why

Sharp 70" 732 in US MSRP US$3k some got it for US$2400 or less... think will be at least S$6k if sold in Singapore when we are closer to Japan  :P

Offline velocity

• transcendental state of video enlightenment...
Just saw the 65 inch LG 3d TV at Harvey Norman Funan. Going for $9K+. Throwing in a bluray player and 4 pairs of glasses. 3D effects not too bad plus brightness level is great. I suppose that's one of the advantages of a passive dsiplay.

Offline bigbird

Today I saw Sony KDL55EX720 55" LED TV selling $3699 and comes with free Sony 3D Bluray player and 3D glasses.

Good price?

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
Just saw the 65 inch LG 3d TV at Harvey Norman Funan. Going for $9K+. Throwing in a bluray player and 4 pairs of glasses. 3D effects not too bad plus brightness level is great. I suppose that's one of the advantages of a passive dsiplay.

That's not cheap considering that the 55" inch LG is about half the price.  For $9k, you can get a get a very good PJ + screen setup... 

Passive 3D is probably the future of 3D.  This battery thing is really not sustainable/workable.  Imagine you have to charge so many 3D glasses before you invite frens over for a movie, and what happens if one runs out of battery halfway? And that does not even take into consideration the comfort factor.  I'm trying to delay my 3D purchase until the 2nd or 3rd gen of passive 3D TVs... which should be much better than the current LGs.

Offline Avonez

3-4 yrs ago a Sharp 65" LCD costs abt $20k, saw a Samsung 64"D8000 plasma going for $65xx today,  price has certainly dropped a fair bit.  However, the marked price difference between here and the US market remains the same. 46" seems to be the new norm now. Waiting for the 70-75" to become available at an accessible price. That is the ideal size for me after seeing a Sony SXRD 70" some years back.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Paid a visit to courts today.... No 60 or 65" of any type in sight at Tampines.... Excuse? Not brought into Singapore....

The colors were almost all consistently wrongly set .... So it was pretty hard to check out the 8000 series Samsung Led or plasmas, the Sony 55" HX 925 nor the Paansonic VT 30 .... And why have a tv set to 3D with no glasses in sight? Pun intended .....
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline petetherock

Oh and I really hate the 'soap opera effect' of LCD and Led tvs....

My gear:

Offline c722

• I'm a llama!
Is the samsung 75 anywhere to be seen ?

Offline petetherock

Is the samsung 75 anywhere to be seen ?
nadda...

But I would venture to say that at 75" I would invest in a smaller tv, then get a PJ for the larger view.

My gear:

Offline c722

• I'm a llama!

But I would venture to say that at 75" I would invest in a smaller tv, then get a PJ for the larger view.

U can still do both what  ;D

Offline kmolth

• YNWA
Btw, what do you do with your old 50" plasma (2004 Pioneer) when let say you upgrade to a new 65" panel? I don't intend to put it in my bed room as it is too big and there is no space.... sigh..... garang kuni? No way....
Gryphon Diablo, Marantz AV8801, Wyred4Sound 5 x 500w, Oppo 103, Samsung UA75ES9000M, Luxman DA-06, Apple iMac Mini 2.66ghz
Wilson Benesch Limited Edition ACT C60, Centre and Torus Infrasonic Generator
JL Audio F212
Thiel Power Point 1.2 Surround Speakers, Richard Grays

Offline petetherock

Btw, what do you do with your old 50" plasma (2004 Pioneer) when let say you upgrade to a new 65" panel? I don't intend to put it in my bed room as it is too big and there is no space.... sigh..... garang kuni? No way....
My 507 is working well and serving my folks well, they love the fact that it can let them watch TV and teletext side by side...

My gear:

Offline petetherock

I am afraid after reading about the current batch of top of the line plasmas, I notice the floating blacks issue still seems to exist for both Panasonic and Samsung and the buzz is quite audible... sigh...

Someone has posted some rather grave findings on the Panasonic and Samsung plasma:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showthread.php?t=3370765

My gear:

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
I was at Courts Tampines yesterday and was really impressed with the Philips 58" 23:5 Led.  It was showing Avatar (as usual) and it was simply gorgeous and PQ sharp and vibrant.  Very good level of black as well.  You know what, a guy came along and buy the display unit on demo!!!!....... :o