Author Topic: Larger Flat Screen TV discussion thread (> 50" and more....)  (Read 429355 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Gone are the days when I stared at my 50" set and felt it was big...
Actually that feeling disappeared about 1 week after I bought it, just that the 60" version was incredibly expensive...

So here is a thread to talk about bigger screens and we all know size matters :)

Right now I still like plasma, so the Panasonic VT 30 (3D or otherwise) is the lead candidate followed by the 8000 series from Samsung which happens to be cheaper too.

Will also consider LEDs but I find that this is still a nascent technology and prices and quality will stabilise later on...
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 18:23 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline jeffong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Based on consumer level TV options (excluding the 103" Panny Plasma), actually there's a 70 inch LG 3D LED panel available in retail going for less than 30k.  Below that would be the 65" VT30's followed by the 60 inch offerings from Sony (NX720), Sharp (LE830) and LG (LW65) and finally the 58" VT20.  Sammy will supposedly launch a 60" version for the 8000 as well but not much news is available yet.  I wouldn't even deem a 55 incher to be a screen size worthly of discussion as it's too damm common already.  Just my two cents. ;D
HDR Rulez - UHD-K8500 | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku 4 | Nvidia Shield
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Sony 40NX720 | Panny AE7000
Denon 7200WA | Denon 4520 | Denon 2309 | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110
UHD BD Titles : More than 20

Offline kmchow98

I like the 58VT20 that I just picked up. Quite an upgrade from my 6 year old 42" plasma.
If you pick LCD/LED, you will have to compromise on the light bleeding and non-uniformity. Power is great though.

After watching the free 3D Blu Rays movies, i think getting a 3D set (especially full HD) is the right choice to make.
The experience in 3D is unmatched.

Avatar and Coraline in 3D clearly demonstrate what 3D can bring. But not all movies are made the same.

Offline econav

• Trade Count: (+2)
70-72" is the size to come.
We are not second hand dealer , all items we sell as used are tradedin from our customer and we don't rate it condition but for the buyer to decide on it own.
From time to time we may sell off some New but open up used for rental/standby/loan items and to ensure they cant be sold as Brand new , we will dispose off the box.
All used items will not come with cable.
For viewing of used items. text@96387418
all post
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2968

Offline petetherock

I like the 58VT20 that I just picked up. Quite an upgrade from my 6 year old 42" plasma.
If you pick LCD/LED, you will have to compromise on the light bleeding and non-uniformity. Power is great though.

After watching the free 3D Blu Rays movies, i think getting a 3D set (especially full HD) is the right choice to make.
The experience in 3D is unmatched.

Avatar and Coraline in 3D clearly demonstrate what 3D can bring. But not all movies are made the same.

Hey bro
I am sure the new Panasonic is impressive, but do note where you come from - 6 yr old, maybe HD ready panel?

The panels have made great strides forward and those two CGI / animation movies are made in 3D and will impress you. Many other 3D shows have been real ripoffs though.

Even so, the VT 30 is something I saw the other day and the LED based Samsung 8000 series also looked not bad, albeit in bright light... and it was an animation on display....

My gear:

Offline jeffong

The major problem with the Sammy's is it's 3D performance. It's still riddled with the cross talk issues that plagued the C Series. On the other hand, I'd much prefer the Passive 3D of the LG over Samsung anytime. Too bad about the viewable scan lines though when up close.

Offline rayleh

My preference will also be the LG passive 3D TV. Quite impress with it I must admit.

Offline kmchow98

My preference will also be the LG passive 3D TV. Quite impress with it I must admit.

It was under consideration until I tried watching it at above or below eye level. The 3d image start to screw up if watched beyond certain angles.

Offline petetherock

Saw a few large sets today

Sony:
there was a 15k one, LED and 3D obviously... slim
another 6999
Both were 60", and although the 15k set was better, it was not twice as good. Also they mainly showed static images, and the showroom at BD was bright, which helped these LED based screens to look better.

Samsung also had a 60" LED (9000 series?) going for 6xxx

And I saw the Panasonic VT 30 as well.

I don't think I will get any TV for the 3D features right now. Those specs don't fit me well and I don't need 3D on my movies. Most weren't made for it anyway.

The plasma based Panasonic had the most natural picture, and motion control, but in the showroom conditions, and without a proper a/b comparison, my biased opinion is that my Kuro is still a keeper. In fact if someone finds a 60" new one, that's the one to keep.

My gear:

Offline XTRProf

Actually, the larger the better. Up to about 70 to 80" will be the max for most homes. Any larger, I don't think we need it unless we like to see large size pimples as well. ;D But we must take into consideration of the best value for the size and PQ. It can be when we go into another size bracket like 60" and above there will be quite a price jump. So now currently the best value is still 50 to 55".

IMVHO, the LG passive 3D is still not there yet when compared to the Sammy active. Too close and at wider viewing angle will have 3D views problem. The active approach still is the better currently. I think LG knows this as well and their new models are surprisingly marketed at a very attractive price to "clear".  ::)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 17:53 by XTRProf »

Offline jeffong

How about the newly revealed Pioneer/Sharp LED collaborated TV's.  Coming in 60" and 70" for US$6k and 8.5k respectively.  Wonder if it will make it into Sillypore.

Offline petetherock

Currently the biggest and best are the 65" Panasonic VT30 and the 60" Sony HX 925... but the Sony will cost more than what I paid for my Pioneer.... :(

However I will be watching keenly to see if Panasonic has solved their increasing black levels issue.

Will consider this option as well, since my viewing distance is rather short, and the place I intend to use it at, will not allow total blackout either.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:20 by petetherock »

My gear:

Offline djjcp

• Snr Member
Any one knows whether they will eventually bring in the 55" VT30?  This is probably the ideal size for many flat dwellers... big but not too big for the living room.  Big enough for immersive 3D.  Think the 50" is a little too small these days, esp. with the emergence of 3D.

Offline HDTV_noobie

Any one knows whether they will eventually bring in the 55" VT30?  This is probably the ideal size for many flat dwellers... big but not too big for the living room.  Big enough for immersive 3D.  Think the 50" is a little too small these days, esp. with the emergence of 3D.

Agree with you.  That's the sweet spot size at least for me too :).  Looking forward to upgrade to 55"-60".
Any bigger will let the projector do the work.

Like Pete said, my 7-years old 43 inch Pioneer plasmas are at best HD ready panel and great stride had been made in display technology.
Just waiting for the darn reliable Pioneer 43" inch plasma to give up. :D

Offline petetherock

If you do a lot of SDTV, the 43" Pioneer is fine actually.

For me the 55" is not worth the upgrade. Even a 60" isn't much bigger than 50".

So I have to aim for a larger panel. My new viewing distance is about 2.5 - 2.8m...

My gear: