Author Topic: Home Net work... where is the IP address?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline Relax

Home Net work... where is the IP address?
« on: June 11, 2011, 16:29 »
Sorry i know this must have sounded stoopid, but heck I ain't no IT guy.
Just picking all the skills & knowlegdes

When I switched over to Aztech homeplug, my Dune player cant seem to find the network..

- perform auto-detect fail... attempting to manually key the IP addresss..
 - and then realise I dont know where to find the IP address...
 - so question where can I look for my network IP address

It all started with .............
When I switch from Homeplug from Comtrend to Aztech, Comtrend plug was running flawlessly while Aztech fail to detect.
So why am i replacing it... I need additonal unit in my bedroom and the required to be of the same brand.
Could not find the Comtrend model so bought the AZtech

Anyone with knowledge, please shed some lights on me...
thanks

Offline louco73

• Louco73's Place on the Internet
Re: Home Net work... where is the IP address?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 17:34 »
It sounds like your Aztech homeplugs are not configured correctly. Do you have all 3 active? If so, I suggest you just use a pair to see if you can get it working. I think with 3 homeplugs you have to do some setup so that they are all recognizing each other.

I assume all the lights are correctly lit on the homeplugs? If so, then the easiest way is to test if it's your Dune player or the homeplugs is to plug a laptop in at the Dune player end to see if that works.
http://www.louco73.com to see some of my home theatre and hi-fi journey. http://baby.laydu.com for Baby Clothes and Products.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 17:45 »
It will be better if you tell us the model of the Aztech homeplug you're using  - I assume its a 200mbps? The best approach to solving the connection problem is to place the homeplugs side-by-side and perform the auto-connect. I assume you're aware that you need to depress the 'Connect' button on one of the homeplugs followed by the other one. The activity LED should flicker to suggest the pairing of the plugs are successful. If still not successful, do a RESET for the homeplugs and try again.

You won't see the Network IP address of your homeplugs IIRC...the only IP address you see on your Router's local network DHCP client tables will be your Dune Player.

Offline Relax

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 20:34 »
yes, agreed with guys and I did that.. the aztech homeplug model is 110E
that is...

thinking that i did not config the 3 plugs properly, i personally brought it down to Aztech and the techs perform a reconfig and loaded the new firmware too.

they actually tested the 3 plugs with their laptops and it was working fine.
but the weirdest thing is when I removed the comtrend and put in the Aztech.. the Dune was unable to see my NAS, also meaning it did not see my network.
i tried the to use the auto-detect in the Dune network setup page... it just cant find it... however when I switch back to Comtrend, the dune just detect and I can see my NAS..
Wierd isn't it....

I am thinking of using manual input on the Dune network setup page to force it to detect my network. so that is the reason for looking at the IP address of my router???

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 23:19 »
Since DHCP mode can't seem to work - meaning your Router can't seem to 'locate' your Dune player...then use static IP address and see how it goes.
It doesn't matter what IP address you're going to assign to your Dune player...just take a look at the available range of IP addresses you can use. The Subnet mask be default is 255.255.255.0...you should already know the default gateway IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Doesn't need the Primary or Secondary DNS.

If the Dune player has an option for you to choose between 10/100mbps or 1000mbps, choose the former and see whether it works...sometimes its the way Aztech homeplugs interfaces with the current network/router.

For your info, I am using 3 110E homeplugs in my home setting...I have no problem setting it up...and guess what I even mix and match with other models as well and no problem so far.

Offline Relax

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:04 »
Since DHCP mode can't seem to work - meaning your Router can't seem to 'locate' your Dune player...then use static IP address and see how it goes.
It doesn't matter what IP address you're going to assign to your Dune player...just take a look at the available range of IP addresses you can use. The Subnet mask be default is 255.255.255.0...you should already know the default gateway IP address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Doesn't need the Primary or Secondary DNS.

If the Dune player has an option for you to choose between 10/100mbps or 1000mbps, choose the former and see whether it works...sometimes its the way Aztech homeplugs interfaces with the current network/router.

For your info, I am using 3 110E homeplugs in my home setting...I have no problem setting it up...and guess what I even mix and match with other models as well and no problem so far.

desray,
where can i find the default gateway IP address? as in where on my computer system can i check this?
also dont remember that dune has a option for choosing 10/100 or 1000 mbps.
how about the 2wire  modem cum router, maybe it has the setting. should take a look too.

anyway i will check...
shuck!! seem to be a magnet for trouble these few days.
my netbook just has a white fluroscent  screen when i opened the cover...and last week hdd crashed... whats happening....!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42 »
desray,
where can i find the default gateway IP address? as in where on my computer system can i check this?

That will usually be the admin router page that you enter. Are you using the 2Wire modem-cum-Router or there is a separate router like DLink or Linksys you are using? If its the former, you can try to gain access to the router's admin page by typing http://gateway.2wire.net (I'm assuming your PC is connected directly to the 2Wire modem here)...if the second scenario, you can try http://192.168.1.254 (depending how you configure your IP address range in the DHCP).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:58 by desray »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27 »
Dunes, why are you fooling around with 200 Mb/sec homeplugs? Get the Gigabit ones please!

(Audio)

Offline Relax

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:56 »
@ Audio,
 I need the AC pass thru leh.... the other end was gigabit plug and yes I was told that with such config only 200mbps is limited.

Okay attempted today with the default gateway setting on Dune
in home network page still see the Dune is not connected.

Switch back to my Comtrend, and shuck now Comtrend dont connect... confirm all setting still the sames..
but the ehternet connect led now failed to lit....

Decide might as well switch to the Aztech plug on...
U see, I have to power down the computer becos the computer is using the 230 AC pass thru
powerup and after a while, the  ethernet LED,(3rd led from the top) lighted... wow...

Now i can see the Dune being connected to my home net work...
At last happy ending after spending 3 hours... and still donot understand it suddenly work?????
Setting was not changed after Desray's instruction to peform the hoem network setting

Thanks Desray & Louco73, Audio for the comments...hehehe
have a good day

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 22:10 »
Glad it work...enjoy.