Author Topic: Chinese Tea discussion thread  (Read 10543 times)

Offline tsammyc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I think, therefore I am
Re: Chinese Tea discussion thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00 »
Wonderful info. I will be visiting all the shops mentioned.

Offline domho8

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 11:18 »
I am just starting to appreciate chinese tea this tread is indeed useful. ;D

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 11:24 »
Sam:
Will be in China in Oct, if you want some, I can get you more from there...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34 »
Sam:

Noted with thanks.

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 11:40 »
The other thing I find with Chinese tea is how the flavour changes over the day. Say with the Jasmine that I am currently sipping. The first brewing is very light and fragrant. The second flush is very strong. The third and subsequent brewings give it a mature fruity taste, which eventually lightens as you exhaust the leaves.

How do others brew tea? I have a glass Japanese teapot with a metal basket at home. I like to see the colour of the tea. For the office, I have a white porcelain cup with a porcelain basket. For TKY, Oolong, Jasmine I generally heat water in a 2 piece electric kettle, let it cool for 10 mins (at home I have a thermometer for 80C), then rinse tea once and then brew for about 1 minute (longer for 2nd brewing) with lid open before taking the basket out.

For Pu Erh. I just whack boiling water and cover for a minute.

Offline lewlian

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 12:00 »

Pu erh needs a rinse as well especially the aged ones.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 13:08 »
Yeah. sorry I do rinse Pu Erh as well. Its more that I don't wait for the water to cool.

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09 »
i've generally one to two pots for each type of teas, i.e. currently have about ~20 purple clay pots and 1 glass pot.

but in office i either use a bodum double walled cup with a glass strainer.
maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 10:06 »
How much tea do you put in for Pu Erh? I tend to like my Pu Erh black in colour and really strong. Is that the wrong way to drink it?

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 11:01 »
How much tea do you put in for Pu Erh? I tend to like my Pu Erh black in colour and really strong. Is that the wrong way to drink it?

for black pu-erh its fine to drink it that way, but the quality of the tea leaves have to be high enough not for the flaws to show up on such intense brewings.

for green pu-erh, its not advisable for too much leaf material to be used, as the brew may be too astringent, and cause a bit of a stomach upset.

i have a small weighing scale, in teapot use i generally use about 5 grams of leaf and take short infusions, in big cups, i use the same amount of leaf, but longer infusion.
maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline tsammyc

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2011, 10:10 »
Stopped by Wang San this weekend and picked up some 1992 black Pu Erh. Cost was $60 for 100g, However, since I have lots of 5-yr Pu Erh, this should last me a long time anyway. Definitely more fragrant than the 5-yr Pu Erh. Quite enjoyed it.

How large is your teapot where you used 5g of leaf in litres?

What about caffeine. Which teas have more or less caffeine? What I do know is that if I make a very strong Pu Erh until black, just one cup can really whack me. The TKY seems fairly mild in terms of caffeine, but the high quality Jasmine that I have is quite strong.

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2011, 23:07 »
Stopped by Wang San this weekend and picked up some 1992 black Pu Erh. Cost was $60 for 100g, However, since I have lots of 5-yr Pu Erh, this should last me a long time anyway. Definitely more fragrant than the 5-yr Pu Erh. Quite enjoyed it.

How large is your teapot where you used 5g of leaf in litres?

What about caffeine. Which teas have more or less caffeine? What I do know is that if I make a very strong Pu Erh until black, just one cup can really whack me. The TKY seems fairly mild in terms of caffeine, but the high quality Jasmine that I have is quite strong.

for 5g of leaf, i use a pot of 75-100ml only (0.075 or 0.1 litre). shorter infusion durations.

across the tea types, the caffeine levels are generally quite constant, it fluctuates. there's scientific literature on this, amount of caffeine in a drink is determined by brewing temperature, leaf quality and quantity.

Higher brewing temp = extract more caffeine
older/bigger tea leaves = less caffeine, tea buds has more caffeine
broken leaves = more caffeine extracted in brewing
more tea leaves = more caffeine in brew
aging the tea = less caffeine over the age

Offline ootg

• Argh! Not Again!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 23:13 »
Sam:
petetherock: Best to buy tea in the late spring, when the tea estates have harvested the first shoots of the season. Chinese always talk about the tea before Cheng-Meng (the festival to visit ancestors' burial sites)...

Offline landis1

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 09:31 »
for example in the case of longjing tea 龙井茶, it is best to buy during the second week of march which is usually the time of first harvest. for the best quality, go to longjing 龙井 at hangzhou 杭州 personally and buy right at the plantation for the first few times, and once you know these people (owners), you may get them to courier the stuff to you (singapore) at very reasonable prices. to ship 1 kati (~625g) of tea to singapore costs only ~s$20 or thereabouts

otherwise you can always buy from the many tea plantations with web presence but at not-so-attractive published rates ;D

http://www.google.com.sg/search?num=20&hl=en&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1138&bih=581&q=%E9%BE%99%E4%BA%95%E8%8C%B6&oq=%E9%BE%99%E4%BA%95%E8%8C%B6&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=f&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=188131l188131l0l1l1l0l0l0l0l240l240l2-1

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:39 by landis1 »

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21 »
Wonderful info. I will be visiting all the shops mentioned.

The only shop I will go in Singapore.

http://www.kokotea.com/
Blk 4 Sago Lane (street level)
 Contact Number: (65) 62203061

Very friendly and reliable uncle who always goes to China for hidden gems

P/S: no connection with them