Author Topic: Criterion Discs discusion thread  (Read 62261 times)

Offline naglfar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forever Underground
Re: Criterion Discs discusion thread
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 13:07 »
Nowadays with the kids around, no time to go cinema already....

A few of my personal fave Criterions on DVD would be would be Withnail and I, How to get ahead in advertising, Beastie Boys Video Anthology, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Chasing Amy, In The Mood for Love, Man Bites Dog. Stopped buying Criterion stuff for a while, but now with Criterion blurays, it's time to start again!
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 16:15 »
Monty Python's Life of Brian... one of the ones I dont have..maybe the only one I dont have...

Nice to see some Pythonians here....must get Meaning of Life and Holy Grail out again and have a laugh...funny was just doing the huge point teeth part and the holy hand grenade bit last night while catting about some HUGE rabbits we saw at ECP beach area yesterday.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 16:57 »
Nice to see some Pythonians here....must get Meaning of Life and Holy Grail out again and have a laugh...

"It's just a scratch!"
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 08:34 »
Some personal faves Criterion on DVDs will include Rashomon, Hiroshima mon Amour, In the Mood for Love, Brief Encounter, Rushmore, Brazil, Nights of Cabiria, Dead Ringers, Unbearable Lightness of Being, Night and Fog, Throne of Blood, Tokyo Story, Rififi, Chungking Express, Playtime... All these I have watched at least twice.... I still have many sitting on my shelf which I have not seen yet... Sigh

In the Mood for Love will look amazing on Blu. I remember picking up e soundtrack immediately after watching it. So so love the title which is actually what e movie is really about - that elusive mood when one is in love captured on film. This is one Criterion DVD I hope be given e Blu treatment ASAP

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:58 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline westendboy

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2011, 00:01 »
All e talk abt The Vanishing got me interested to watch it again. Since my wifey has never seen this, it's an easy excuse to do it again. I gotta say I have completely forgotten abt e how of e ending but not e what. Me and my missus found ourselves immersed in e characters.  The director did a superb job of telling their back stories and shots of the scene of e crime from all 3 perspectives were seamless... Almost transcending to a tragic stratosphere. And the metaphor of the golden eggs is just so uncanny, ironic and ultimately tragic.

Then came that 'shocking' ending. I am sure I was shocked when I saw this in 1988 but somehow in 2011 it has lost it's impact and feels very jaded becoz numerous movies have done this, like Kill Bill 2, e very first episode of Alfred Hitchcock presents (yes... I have never forgotten this one) and most recently, Buried.

My wife had another issue with e ending - why would this guy kill him?  What does he achieve by doing this?  I explain that this is precisely what makes e villain scary. Because he has no motive, he is ordinary - he hides among e everyday ppl and he does not let fate/rules dictates what he should do. She is not impressed with my explanation. She did mention that Audition does a much awesome job of showing manic murderous behavior... I give up
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 00:13 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline pathetichindsight

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 12:11 »
i remember watching Audition during the film fest and i was gripping the arm rest during the torture scene

Offline westendboy

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 16:18 »
Mrs Postman just delivered my Criterion shipment. I had forgotten all abt em. Videodrome is damn retroliciously cool... I am gonna watch this with my missus and before that tell her it's an old-fashioned retro-love story  ;D

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 18:03 »
ah that's beautiful :) i hope my discs start trickling in over the course of August & hopefully ALL of them will get to me by the time September is over.
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 14:33 »
Westendboy.....I hate you.

(Audio)

Offline westendboy

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 15:44 »
Westendboy.....I hate you.

(Audio)

DEATH TO VIDEODROME.... LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 22:53 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 19:10 »
Ah nice westendboy! I hope mine reaches soon. I think we ordered around the same time.
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 08:54 »
Cinephiles and film geeks! Don't miss out on an awesome Criterion event starting tomorrow, 8/16 at 6am. We'll be featuring four 4-hour lightning deals of Criterion favorites, just in time for the new Kubrick release, "The Killing".
https://www.facebook.com/AmazonMoviesTV

No idea of the titiles that will be on sale, but just in case you fellas are interested.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58 »
Thanks bro... 6am US time is what time here?  Anybody knows

Stanley Kubrick's The Killing is a must get for me!!!

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline InnocentBlood

• Trade Count: (+4)
Criterion's November Blu-ray Line-Up
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 20:54 »
Criterion's November Blu-ray Line-Up: Renoir, Anderson, Kieślowski, Lumet and Bergman

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7105

The Criterion Collection has officially announced their November line-up, which includes an exceptional assortment of titles from some of cinema's most revered filmmakers.

The three releases teased last week were all confirmed by Monday's announcement. These include a brand new edition of Jean Renoir's 1939 classic The Rules of the Game and Wes Anderson's 1998 coming-of-age comedy Rushmore. Krzysztof Kieślowski's much anticipated Three Colors Trilogy will also be added to the collection with all three films (Blue, White and Red) packaged together in one complete set.

November releases that were not on the radar include Sidney Lumet's timeless courtroom drama 12 Angry Men and a Blu-ray upgrade for Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander Box Set. This set, which includes both the theatrical and television versions of the intimate period drama, has been slimmed down to three discs from the five included on the DVD version.

All of the titles carry the $39.95 SRP with the exception of Fanny and Alexander ($59.95) and Three Colors ($79.95). Special features and release dates for each title are outlined below.

Fanny and Alexander, 1982 (November 8th, 2011)

High-definition digital restorations of the television and theatrical versions of Fanny and Alexander
High-definition digital restoration of Ingmar Bergman's feature-length documentary The Making of Fanny and Alexander
Ingmar Bergman Bids Farewell to Film: A sixty-minute conversation between Bergman and film critic Nils Petter Sundgren recorded for Swedish television in 1984
Audio commentary on the theatrical version by film scholar Peter Cowie
A Bergman Tapestry: A documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew
Costume sketches and footage of the models for the film's sets
Stills gallery
Theatrical trailer
Optional English-dubbed soundtrack for the theatrical version
Booklet featuring essays by documentarian and film historian Stig Björkman, novelist Rick Moody, and film scholar Paul Arthur

Three Colors Trilogy, 1993-1994 (November 15th, 2011)

Three cinema lessons with director Krzysztof Kieślowski
New interviews with composer Zbigniew Preisner, writer Krzysztof Piesiewicz and actors Julie Delpy, Zbigniew Zamachowski and Irène Jacob
Selected-scene commentary for Blue with actress Juliette Binoche
Three new video essays, by film writers Annette Insdorf, Tony Rayns and Dennis Lim
Kieślowski's student short The Tram (1966) and his fellow student's short from the same year The Face, which features Kieślowski in a solo performance
Two short documentaries by Kieślowski: Seven Women of Different Ages (1978) and Talking Heads (1980)
Krzysztof Kieślowski: I'm So-So . . . (1995), a feature-length documentary in which the filmmaker discusses his life and work
Two multi-interview programs, Reflections on Blue and Kieślowski: The Early Years, with film critic Geoff Andrew, Binoche, filmmaker Agnieszka Holland, cinematographer Sławomir Idziak, Insdorf, Jacob and editor Jacques Witta
Interviews with producer Marin Karmitz and Witta
Behind-the-scenes programs for White and Red, and Kieślowski Cannes 1994, a short documentary on Red's world premiere
Original theatrical trailers
New and improved English subtitle translations
Booklet featuring essays by critics Colin MacCabe, Nick James, Stuart Klawans and Georgina Evans, an excerpt from Kieślowski on Kieślowski and reprinted interviews with cinematographers Sławomir Idziak, Edward Klosinski and Piotr Sobocinski

The Rules of the Game, 1939 (November 15th, 2011)

Introduction to the film by Jean Renoir
Audio commentary written by film scholar Alexander Sesonske and read by filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
Version comparison: side-by-side analysis of the film's two endings, and an illustrated study of Renoir's shooting script
Selected-scene analysis by Renoir historian Christopher Faulkner
Excerpts from Jean Renoir, le patron: La Règle et l'exception (1966), a French television program directed by Jacques Rivette
Part one of Jean Renoir, a two-part 1993 BBC documentary by David Thompson
Video essay about the film's production, release, and later reconstruction
Jean Gaborit and Jacques Durand discuss their reconstruction and re-release of the film
Interviews with Renoir's son and assistant cameraman Alain Renoir, set designer Max Douy, and actress Mila Parély
Written tributes to the film and Renoir by J. Hoberman, Kent Jones,Paul Schrader, Wim Wenders and others
Improved English subtitle translation
Booklet featuring writings by Sesonske, Renoir, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Bertrand Tavernier, and François Truffaut

Rushmore, 1998 (November 22nd, 2011)

New high-definition digital transfer of the director's cut supervised by director Wes Anderson
Audio commentary by Anderson, co-writer Owen Wilson and actor Jason Schwartzman
The Making of Rushmore: An exclusive behind-the-scenes documentary by Eric Chase Anderson
Max Fischer Players Present: Theatrical "adaptations" of Armageddon, Out of Sight and The Truman Show, staged for the 1999 MTV Movie Awards
Episode of The Charlie Rose Show featuring Anderson and actor Bill Murray
Cast audition footage
Wes Anderson's hand-drawn storyboards, plus a film-to-storyboard comparison
Props, posters, behind-the-scenes photos and other graphic ephemera
Original theatrical trailer
Collectible poster
Booklet featuring an essay by film critic Dave Kehr

12 Angry Men, 1957 (November 22nd, 2011)

Twelve Angry Men: From Television to the Big Screen: A video essay by film scholar Vance Kapley comparing the Sidney Lumet and Schaffner versions
Frank Schaffner's 1955 television version, with an introduction by Ron Simon, director of the Paley Center for Media Studies
Archival interviews with Lumet
New interview about the director with writer Walter Bernstein
New interview with Ron Simon about television writer Reginald Rose
New interview with cinematographer John Bailey in which he discusses cinematographer Boris Kaufman
Tragedy in a Temporary Town (1956), a teleplay directed by Lumet and written by Rose
Original theatrical trailer
Booklet featuring an essay by writer and law professor Thane Rosenbaum
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline westendboy

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 21:09 »
I already have all the Nov releases on DVD but yet to watch Fanny and Alexander and Blue out of e Three Colours Trilogy

Will seriously consider upgrading Rushmore, and 3 Colours... Brilliant stuff

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal