Author Topic: Criterion Discs discusion thread  (Read 62289 times)

Offline Waddle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Criterion Discs discusion thread
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 17:58 »
Can I reccomend to you guys the Criterion release of Blow Out - Starring John Travolta. It's a Brian de Palma I believe. This arrived from Amazon USA last weekend and is a really great movie. It hasn't been tampered with (DNR, Edge Enhancement), has plenty of grain and even though it has the original 2.1 stereo non HD sound it was still a real treat. The BD also comes with a great supplement to read through as well.

Thin Red Line arrives Friday. Certainly not one for the wife but I'm really looking forward to it.
Samsung UE46 B8000
Oppo BDP 93 Multi Region
Toshiba EP30
Pioneer VSX-LX 1021
KEF 3005 SE
Apple TV3

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 21:11 »
I agree... Blow Out is one of e more accessible Criterion Blu-rays out there. Brian de Palma's (The Untouchables, Mission Impossible) visual flourishes merge seamlessly with a whodunit story and in my book, Blow Out has one of e best final lines uttered in a film... Frickin' ironic  :P

My fave Criterion Blu-ray will have to be Jacques Tati's Playtime... iMHO a tour-de-force of marvelous film-making. I own 3 diff Criterion discs of this same movie!!! This film practically bankrupted Tati becoz e box office returns was a killer. To me it's a film that was way ahead of it's time and e audience just couldn't get it. It's one of those movies I can watch many times and yet still find smth new to marvel at. Seriously, at times Tati has actors doing smth weird in e background and u will literally miss it becoz u be focusing on e foreground. Then there's e amazing first 5min long shot... U think u r watching smth but it turns out to be smth else. The central theme of being caught in e post-modernization of e world is never lost on e anybody.

I can't say everyone will enjoy this but I do... Tremendously. If I get to choose one Criterion film to bring up to Heaven with me, it will be this!!!
What abt ur desert island Criterion bros?  I should for e sake of argument include e DVDs as well... Then I will also include stuff like Hiroshima Mon Amour, Rififi and Rashomon  ;D

PS- pse do some research on this if my words seem tempting. It may not be everyone's cup of tea eh  ;)  Tati's Playtime has not much of a plot with almost non-existent dialogue and all this makes for a very tough watch but it can be a superbly rewarding one if ur heart, mind and soul are in e right place  ;)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:22 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 10:47 »
I bought one disc previously... Thin Red Line... nearly bored the death of me ;)

Years ago a friend loaned me his DVD of TRL.  I think I managed 15 mins of it before giving up.

I do have a number of Criterions, but generally more recent stuff like Brazil, Silence of the Lambs, For All Mankind, even The Rock (Pete you should look out for that then!  Even Armageddon was on Criterion DVD...).  Older movies would be The Third Man, recently I got the BDs of Chaplin's Modern Times and The Great Dictator.  And somewhere on the shelf I have a copy of (ahem) Ai No Corrida.  Which actually really isn't to my liking.

I suppose I'm not much of one for actual arthouse cinema.  Having said that, I did also get a copy of The Vanishing on Criterion, the Dutch original, and it is far superior to the American remake.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline Waddle

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57 »
Having said that, I did also get a copy of The Vanishing on Criterion, the Dutch original, and it is far superior to the American remake.

Watched that as a teenager and the end stayed with me for a very long time... what a movie and what a baddie!

As for which Desert Island Criterion disk? Well..... Fear and Loathing is clearly a favourite along with The Third Man. Maybe Videodrome, but with honourable mentions to Paris Texas, Naked, Pierrot le Fou and Breathless.

Samsung UE46 B8000
Oppo BDP 93 Multi Region
Toshiba EP30
Pioneer VSX-LX 1021
KEF 3005 SE
Apple TV3

Offline westendboy

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 13:43 »

As for which Desert Island Criterion disk? Well..... Fear and Loathing is clearly a favourite along with The Third Man. Maybe Videodrome, but with honourable mentions to Paris Texas, Naked, Pierrot le Fou and Breathless.

I don't think I can ever watch Fear and Loathing another time haha. Breathless I have seen twice but I could never understand what's the fuss abt. I can dig it's e pioneer of e French new wave but story wise hmmm.  Actually I prefer e Hollywood remake with Richard Gere. What I do like is the total abandonment e lovers live their lives. Wish I can do e same!!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 13:52 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Waddle

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 16:22 »
Breathless I have seen twice but I could never understand what's the fuss abt.   Actually I prefer e Hollywood remake with Richard Gere.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!

*whispers* I agree  ;)
Samsung UE46 B8000
Oppo BDP 93 Multi Region
Toshiba EP30
Pioneer VSX-LX 1021
KEF 3005 SE
Apple TV3

Offline pathetichindsight

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 17:39 »
i also hv a couple of criterion dvds and admit even some of the classics that i bought can be hard to sit through, like 8 1/2, L'avventura, Seventh Seal, Short Cuts, Wild Strawberries.. 

my faves are Chasing Amy, In the Mood for Love, My Own Private Idaho, Naked, Royal Tenenbaums, Traffic & Insomnia

But criterion DVDs are expensive (or rather used to be More expensive), and now its BR, and after BR, there will be newer formats... its an epensive hobby to buy, rebuy, and rebuy the same titles.....

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 18:16 »
Years ago a friend loaned me his DVD of TRL.  I think I managed 15 mins of it before giving up.

I do have a number of Criterions, but generally more recent stuff like Brazil, Silence of the Lambs, For All Mankind, even The Rock (Pete you should look out for that then!  Even Armageddon was on Criterion DVD...).  Older movies would be The Third Man, recently I got the BDs of Chaplin's Modern Times and The Great Dictator.  And somewhere on the shelf I have a copy of (ahem) Ai No Corrida.  Which actually really isn't to my liking.

I suppose I'm not much of one for actual arthouse cinema.  Having said that, I did also get a copy of The Vanishing on Criterion, the Dutch original, and it is far superior to the American remake.
Heh
I did have these but it was on DVD...
Now I can't find any big dumb action movies and I am not really into the cerebral forms of entertainment...
I mean, I can switch off my HT system and watch direct from BR / DVD to my Pioneer :)
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline pathetichindsight

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 22:11 »
oh yes i hv The Vanishing too....  i was speechless after the movie... friggin amazing

Offline westendboy

Criterion New Releases in Oct
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 08:24 »
Criterion has announced a new batch of titles that will debut in October. They include Kaneto Shindo's Kuroneko, Zoltán Korda's The Four Feathers, Michelangelo Antonioni's Identification of a Woman and Erie C. Kenton's Island of Lost Souls. Past titles getting the Blu-ray treatment include Dazed and Confused, Harakiri, and Salò, or The 120 Days of Sodom.

I already have Dazed and Confused (in Quentin Taratino's Top 20 but I have not watched yet) and The 120 Days of Sodom (watched once and is smth I will never forget). Looks like nothing for me in Oct but I am considering 120 Days of Sodom.... Just not sure I want to watch that piece of shite again... That last bit is not a metaphor!!!

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 08:31 »
Salo must get la bro, no brainer! Cult!
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 09:07 »
Salo must get la bro, no brainer! Cult!

I have a bare DVD version of this... Have always been curious what e heck is going thru Pier Paolo Pasolini's mind when he made this so e special features will be cool to plough thru. And to add to it's cult status - Pasolini was brutally murdered prior to e infamous first screening of this!!!

Another movie I can SHOCK my wifey with!!!  :o :o

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline racing_vios

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 11:55 »
Hullo Fellow Criterion lovers,

IMHO, the best Criterion discs are the laserdisc versions.
Many of them, after the death of that format never made
a re-appearance in either DVD or Blu-ray. Examples include:

. A Hard Day's Night
. Bram Stoker's Dracula
. The Silence Of The Lambs
. Se7en
. Menance II Society
 etc etc

Some made it to DVDs, but (sadly) due to copyright
and licensing issues, will not (hopefully not never)
make it to the Blu-ray format.

My personal favourites are these titles (yes, in LD format):

. The Silence Of The Lambs
. Se7en
. The Killer
. Robocop
. A Hard Day's Night
. Bram Stoker's Dracula
. The Vanishing
. The Rock
. Armaggedon
. Beauty & The Beast (1941)
. Akira
. Singing In The Rain

Voyager/Janus Films really perfected the
viewing of the movie and supplements
to an art form.... Heck, even the trailers
and the teasers were exclusive!!

Enjoy!

8)

Offline ballhead

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12 »
Yes SALO was quite bizzare.

Chaps, if you enjoy such arthouse flicks, why not sign up for SFS membership. You get at least 2 screenings per month at a GV cinema, plus some bonus screenings, discount to film fest, etc. All for $90 per year. Absolute bargain. I look back with fond memories on the screenings I caught during my two years' membership during my uni-days (got student rate). Now contemplating whether to pick this up again.

I have a bare DVD version of this... Have always been curious what e heck is going thru Pier Paolo Pasolini's mind when he made this so e special features will be cool to plough thru. And to add to it's cult status - Pasolini was brutally murdered prior to e infamous first screening of this!!!

Another movie I can SHOCK my wifey with!!!  :o :o

Offline westendboy

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 12:57 »
Chaps, if you enjoy such arthouse flicks, why not sign up for SFS membership. You get at least 2 screenings per month at a GV cinema, plus some bonus screenings, discount to film fest, etc. All for $90 per year. Absolute bargain. I look back with fond memories on the screenings I caught during my two years' membership during my uni-days (got student rate). Now contemplating whether to pick this up again.

Years ago, I remember coming out of a SFS's screening of Wim Wender's Paris/Texas at Jubilee Hall and met the then president of SFS, Kenneth Tan. I had a jolly time chatting with him about films. At that time I was just a young bloke, wet behind e ears but our love for e cinema connected us. It's really hard to describe that chat but I always have fond memories of it. He even gave me an essay he wrote on Tsui Hark's Chess King... Those days it was typewritten some more!!

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal