Author Topic: JM Labs Focal Professional Solo 6 Be active speakers with Beryllium tweeter  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

Offer withdrawn. On the advice of a good friend. :)

I think the Solos may be a bit more flexible in placement sacrificing a bit of low end extension, and I could probably get the Sub6 to add that extension instead.

Thanks for your interest.

Need to do some major clean up while packing up. So selling stuff I have lying around.

Condition: Very good
Price:
$1,100 for the first (yes ONE) speaker (limited to one unit only), good as center speaker to match other Focal Beryllium tweeter based speakers
$2,500 for a pair of speakers
$3,200 for all three speakers

If you confirm and pick up by this weekend, all 3 for $3000.

Please PM me if you are interested.

http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/sm6-line/solo6-be.php

The Solo6 Be monitor will surprise you in the very first minutes you spend with it, partly due to its size/extended bass response (40Hz at -3dB). The 6.5" “W” composite sandwich mid-woofer combines neutrality in the midrange, fullness in the midbass register and bass control. Its compactness and the choice of a large front laminar port guarantee easy integration in studios that need a near field monitor without any acoustic compromise.

This is a bi-amp design with a 150W amp driving the woofer and a 100W amp driving the tweeter. Very impressive speaker. Am only selling it because I realized I would not have power points where I intended to use them at my new place and it's expensive hiring an electrician down under and if I were to DIY, I'd probably electrocute myself :D

Specifications
  • Frequency response :   40Hz - 40kHz
  • Maximum SPL :   113dB SPL (peak @ 1m)
  • Input : Type/Impedance: symmetrical/10 kOhms
  • Connector: XLR
  • Sensitivity: Adjustable, +4dBu or -10dBV
  • Bass/mid-range :   150W rms, BASH® technology
  • Treble :   100W rms, AB class
  • Electric supply : Local supply power: 230V (1.6A fuse)
  • Connection: removable IEC supply wire
  • Power On/off switch
  • Voltage selector
  • Connection: removable IEC supply wire
  • Woofer :   6W4370B, 6-1/2" (16.5cm) Focal "W" composite sandwich cone speaker
  • Tweeter :   Focal TB871 Beryllium inverted dome tweeter
  • transducer shielding :   Integral through cancellation magnets or by magnet design
  • Box :   7-1/2" (19mm) MDF panels
  • Finish : Dark red natural veneering side panels, black body
  • Dimensions (HxWxD) :   13 x 9-7/16 x 11-7/16 " (330x240x290mm)
  • Weight :   24.2lb (11kg)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:15 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
so fast letting go of your new toys? :)
running long power cord or running speaker cable.. similar thing? ;)

Offline Doggie Howser

For surrounds, easier to run thin speaker cables :) then hide under carpets.

Long power cords SWMBO will complain if she trips over.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:03 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline vajrasattvasg

wow.. this is tempting :P
maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline dane

a pair of these and the CDQ in the bedroom.. also tempting..
how do they sound placed close to wall? no port, so maybe ok?
Dynaudio Sapphire, Marantz SA-7S1, SC-7S2, MA-9S2 x 2

Offline Doggie Howser

Since everyone wanna know, a bit OT..

this is what I am probably going to replace the Focals with.

Can even put on the floor.. this solves one of the problems I have with wide speaker layout, where it can possibly block the main speakers ;)

6 channel version of this: 6 x 250W:

In terms of cost and SQ, I still think the Focal Solo6 would sound better but perhaps not ideal for wide and surround speakers.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jonlee

Since everyone wanna know, a bit OT..

this is what I am probably going to replace the Focals with.

LOL...ain't you supposed to be selling to prepare for packing?  Yet u are still buying?  :)

Offline Quest

• Cyber Dreamer
i like the look of those.. what's the brand/cost? :)

Offline Doggie Howser

Crap. Sammy ought to pay me for advertising ;)

Those are Thiel Powerpoint 1.2 with their signature coaxial drivers but it may not suit your tastes.

How abt them Beryllium tweeters? ;)

Match yr Electra 1027Bes, right? :D

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline francis wu

Actually for surrounds, no need to get so ex!  go for Emotiva ceiling type will do. The UAC 8.2 for surround center and the 6.2 for rear surround, 7.1 set up......... :)

Offline Doggie Howser

And here's why flush against wall speakers sound bad.
http://thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/PDF_files/PDF_tech_papers/techpaper_pwrpt.pdf

Reflection Problems
Speakers mounted on a wall with their woofer parallel to the wall exhibit serious cancellation problems due to wall reflections.

There is a depression in the response of about 5 dB at 350 Hz followed by an exaggeration of about 5 dB around 800 Hz. This rather severe coloration cannot be compensated in the network and results in a very characteristic “sound” of such speakers.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jonlee

Then like this good enough?

Offline Doggie Howser

Better :)

But here's a review of the Thiels vs the AG

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/thiel3/powerpoint_2.html
Not only was it robust but it sounded remarkably linear -no boom, no suck-outs. The same can be said for midrange performance. The Gallo A'Diva speakers that the Thiels replaced suddenly sounded like miniatures - little boys sent to do a man's job while the Thiels sounded like cavalry. Where the admittedly and decidedly less expensive yet over-achieving A'Divas sounded clear and detailed, they also sounded as though they lacked density and body. The Thiels had that body, that density - that ability to conjure reality from thin air. While home theater enthusiasts often credit their systems for sounding better than commercial theaters, the fact is that while linear and refined, most home theater's I know lack the gravitas - the weight of a real theater. And I'm not talking about overloaded bass. I'm talking about a sonic saturation here that occurs through the midrange as well as the bass. Suddenly, my living room had that saturation. As far as my experience in my own home theater goes, it was a singular event. I'd never before heard it like this. I'd never heard such well-balanced density with absolutely no excess boom or bloom.

To be fair the Gallos are more affordable.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

Ah crap. I'll never be able to sell the focals if I keep espousing the virtues of another product.

:)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

Ah! Almost missed a query from a real interest yesterday :P

a pair of these and the CDQ in the bedroom.. also tempting..
how do they sound placed close to wall? no port, so maybe ok?

I currently have them set up on a dining table so there's a lot more space behind them and I find the 3D depth and imaging very very good. The singer sounds like she's seated across me on the other side of the table :P

If you like depth in your soundstage, that's still the best way to go IMHO.

If no one takes them, I am probably moving them to my in-law's where they will be a lot closer against the wall. Let you know how they sound then. But I expect they may be OK if they are designed for small studio use.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 13:56 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed