Author Topic: MBL users out there?  (Read 4837 times)

Offline SL

• Trade Count: (0)
MBL users out there?
« on: February 12, 2011, 18:54 »
Hi all, happy CNY to all.

I've just added the MBL Dac 1511f to my system and I've been very pleased with it. The sound upgrade has been amazing. I find myself listening to music so much more now. Not that it was bad to begin with but it's so much smoother now with a wide and very deep soundstage. My average listening session easily stretches beyond an hour now and the appreciation and enjoyment is so much better.

My current audio system as follows

Cd player: Copland 289 (used as transport now)
Media streamer: Popcorn hour c200
Dac: MBL 1511F
Preamp: Plinius M16
Amp: MBL 8011AM mono blocks
Speakers: Harbeth SHL 5

Am tempted to swap my preamp for MBL as well. But really happy where I am for now.

I can't seem to find much discussion on MBL here in this forum. Wondering if other users can share their experience on MBL products?

Offline Idlewise4ever

Re: MBL users out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 20:13 »
Yeah heard great reviews on mbl but seems few owners on this forum I think. In fact am keen to know if anyone owns the 101e speaker which I intend to get for my future future future upgrade :)  May I know how much u got for your 1511 n monos?

Offline jimi

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 21:22 »
Coherence Audio have their own community down there. I see a lot of owners popping by just to chat with Ron or amongst themselves or spin an CD or 2 on their reference system.

Not sure about their electronics but I do like their omni speakers- v wide sweet spot to boot- would be perfect for HT, albeit a v ex one.

If only I had the funds and the space!!

... Actually having said that, go and have a look at the photos showing the size of their customers rooms with their setup. Surprisingly they are using these massive spkrs in a very small room! Apparently the omni design is less sensitive to room acoustic issues- pretty hard to believe personally speaking.

Offline Idlewise4ever

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 23:31 »
Cool, am in love with radial omni sound n am sure my next pair will be 101 mkii, do you have any idea how much they sell in sg?

Offline SL

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 20:52 »
The 101s are indeed amazing. But they need to be driven by high current amps. I don't believe my present amps can do the job well.

So far, I like what I am hearing from my Harbeths so no urgent upgrade itch yet :)

For prices, you should check with Ron from Coherence. I'm not related to him but he's a great guy to talk to.

Offline Idlewise4ever

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 21:11 »
Need to move larger home first before getting 101e :) will play with my g.physiks for the time being

Offline SL

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 21:49 »
You'd be surprised at the number of people who use 101s in small spaces  :P. Apparently, its one of the few speakers who don't boom easily.

Anyway, how's your German Physiks? They're omnis too right? 

Offline Idlewise4ever

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 22:16 »
The GP opens my ears to different concept, am now so used to radial sound that I find it very hard for me to fall back to conventional. My friends got poisoned too n can't take pinpoint sound source anymore. Anyway, it's to personal likings. :)

Yeah saw lots of small room setup for giant speakers nowadays, in my opinion I prefer a larger room for them to breathe, looks nicer too :) 101E will look great in big room, just worried once suck into mbl it's gonna be mbl lines of products for matching.. Anyone driving the 101E with other amps?

Offline SL

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 09:16 »
Haha. You're right about the MBL line - they do sound better if used together. I'm sticking to theNoble range for now. Reference line is just too much $$$$. The radial speakers will likely be my next speaker upgrade.

The high current Mc amps seem to be a popular choice for MBL speakers in the Audiogon forum.

Offline Idlewise4ever

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:22 »
Just got reply from mbl USA, they giving 40% off on 8011,5011 n7006 from their retail price. Did ur 8011 priced better in SG?

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 05:13 »
Excellent chat with Jürgen Reis, absolute must watch  :)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JLnSsE6GZAs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JLnSsE6GZAs&fs=1</a>  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H9LystOuvTc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/H9LystOuvTc&fs=1</a>
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline atx2

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 16:30 »
I'm a happy owner of Preamplifier mbl 6010 D  ;D.
Analog all the way...

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 21:27 »
Excellent chat with Jürgen Reis, absolute must watch  :)

Yes, quite fascinating.  Seems like a thorough approach to design, especially the parts pertaining to CD transports / DACs and how vibration affects so many things.  Also, not all parts that measure the same sound the same :)

Like the bit about the initial 95% of the design being done using measurements and the last 5% by ear to achieve a “house” and not absolute sound.  And, the “house” sound evolves over the years.

Offline nfnc

• Trade Count: (+3)
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 21:30 »

Are you using a full mbl system?

There are a number of mbl owners in Singapore, including the watermelons. Not many participate in the forums though. Probably too immersed in the music ...

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 08:21 »

Nice!!! One of those totally understated brands in Singapore... Probably a reflection of the old-style dealership (does Coherence even have a website?  ;D).
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.