Author Topic: Oppo BDP-95 Official Owner's Thread  (Read 79356 times)

Offline cn9601

Re: Oppo BDP-95 Official Owner's Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 19, 2011, 19:41 »
Is the cable v1.3? or v1.4?

Tks

I used the 95 with my HDMI 1.3 only AVR4810. Didn't have any issues like what you encountered.

But that was old firmware. And the gear is all packed up.

Offline anfieldude

« Reply #346 on: May 19, 2011, 21:56 »
Oppo95 HDMI 1 direct to Sony LCD
- using v1.4 (QED New Performance HDMI-E Super Speed), 3m

Oppo95 HDMI 2 to Onkyo 875
- supposedly using v1.4 (QED New Performance HDMI-E Super Speed), 2m
- now change to v1.3 (QED Classic HDMI-P), 3m

I have swapped that v1.4 QED HDMI cable to connect between Popcornhour and Onkyo 875.

Currently I am also connecting another v1.4 Audioquest Forest (3m) between Xbox360 and Onkyo 875 ==> no 'boomy' noise on sub.

And so I am still feeling 'fishy' about Oppo95 v1.4 port and using v1.4 cable to connect it to a non-v1.4 ready AVR.

:(

Onkyo 875 had the DTSHDMA bomb. Could u let me know ur firmware on ur Onkyo?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #347 on: May 19, 2011, 22:05 »
There is no HDMI 1.4/1.3 cable.

Just High Speed and Standard Speed rated.

I used those capable of 3D so I would imagine High Speed.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline cn9601

« Reply #348 on: May 20, 2011, 11:18 »
Thank you :)

Yes, I am aware that current HDMI spec does not indicate v1.4 anymore. But to simplify the cable type I have, I ask v1.3/v1.4 - sorry to have caused confusion.

For the last few evenings, on v1.3 cable, there is no more 'boomy' noise when I have intentionally choosen BD with DTS-MA tracks to test.

Tomorrow (Saturday), I guess I will more time to play more DTS-MA (and DD and LPCM) to test on v1.3 cable.

IIRC, using v1.4 cable and when the 'boomy' noise happened, I switched to Multi-Ch on Onkyo 875 (since I have 5.1ch VDH cables between Oppo95 and Onkyo 875, mainly for SACD), the 'additional' boomy noise stops. That is why I am thinking of v1.4 cable on Oppo95, which is v1.4 ready and so I am thinking whether Oppo95 is sending any extended LFE or bass frequency that could be picked up unecessarily by the sub. Using v1.3 cable, no 'boomy' noise so far......

Oppo95 HDMI 1 direct to Sony LCD
- using v1.4 (QED New Performance HDMI-E Super Speed), 3m

Oppo95 HDMI 2 to Onkyo 875
- supposedly using v1.4 (QED New Performance HDMI-E Super Speed), 2m
- now change to v1.3 (QED Classic HDMI-P), 3m

I have swapped that v1.4 QED HDMI cable to connect between Popcornhour and Onkyo 875.

Currently I am also connecting another v1.4 Audioquest Forest (3m) between Xbox360 and Onkyo 875 ==> no 'boomy' noise on sub.

And so I am still feeling 'fishy' about Oppo95 v1.4 port and using v1.4 cable to connect it to a non-v1.4 ready AVR.
:(

There is no HDMI 1.4/1.3 cable.
Just High Speed and Standard Speed rated.
I used those capable of 3D so I would imagine High Speed.

Offline cn9601

« Reply #349 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33 »
Tks bro :)

I will confirm my Onky version later at home.

But based on the "authoritative" thread, it is v1.04
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=45994.825

Assuming Onky f/w is outdated, somehow I still cant explain to myself why Oppo83 has no 'boomy', HDMI v1.3 cable on Oppo95 has no 'boomy'....And so I am inclined to think about some bass extension/LFE extension being transmitted on HDMI v1.4 cable from Oppo95 which is HDMI v1.4 ready.

Onkyo 875 had the DTSHDMA bomb. Could u let me know ur firmware on ur Onkyo?

Offline anfieldude

« Reply #350 on: May 20, 2011, 13:57 »
Tks bro :)

I will confirm my Onky version later at home.

But based on the "authoritative" thread, it is v1.04
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=45994.825

Assuming Onky f/w is outdated, somehow I still cant explain to myself why Oppo83 has no 'boomy', HDMI v1.3 cable on Oppo95 has no 'boomy'....And so I am inclined to think about some bass extension/LFE extension being transmitted on HDMI v1.4 cable from Oppo95 which is HDMI v1.4 ready.

I believe if its 1.04 it shd be ok, but I am pretty sure that 1.05 onwards was ok.

Its a matter of handshaking, so the 83 might have been ok, but the 93 might be using a different protocol for handshake that could show up.

However, if you believe its the 93 and extra information being transmitted from the 93 u might want to follow thru that with Oppo support.

Offline cn9601

« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2011, 14:17 »
:) Tks, bro.

I have already done it with Oppo Support before posting tis.

In fact, it is from Oppo that I have been abt DTS-MA Bomb.

Am awaiting their further advice.

However, if you believe its the 93 and extra information being transmitted from the 93 u might want to follow thru that with Oppo support.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2011, 14:18 »
Another glowing review.
http://www.avguide.com/review/oppo-bdp-95-blu-rayuniversal-player-tpv-103?utm_campaign=Weekly+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-113&utm_content=TPV+2

It echoes a lot of the comments I had about its smoothness.

First, the flagship Oppo has a highly detailed sound, yet a sound where the different aspects of “detail” are so thoroughly and beautifully integrated that you may not, at first blush, notice just how much sonic information this player can convey. When I use the term detail to describe the BDP-95, I am thinking of the complete package: that is, of subtle timbres, textures, harmonics, transient sounds, reverberations and echoes, and especially spatial cues. Put all of these elements together and listen to a familiar piece of music and you may be apt to conclude that, with the Oppo in play, there’s suddenly more “there” there.

Second, the BDP-95 is remarkably smooth sounding, which all the more impressive when you consider that it also highly detailed. In my experience, the qualities of detail and smoothness don’t necessarily travel together, so that it’s a rarity to find them working synergistically as they do in the Oppo. There’s real sonic “magic” in this combination of virtues—sort of the audiophile equivalent of all gain with (surprisingly) no pain. In the case of the BDP-95, detail may be what draws you in at first, but the player’s relaxed, effortless smoothness is what keeps you listening, hour after hour. If you were to try to capture the player’s sound in a “formula,” it might look something like this: Detail + Smoothness = A Musically Natural Sound.

Finally, the BDP-95 is capable of an exceptionally three-dimensional presentation, whether it happens to be playing stereo or multichannel (i.e., surround sound) material. This quality, more than any other, is the one that makes the top Oppo sound like a much, much higher-priced component than it actually is.

MUSICAL EXAMPLE
For a fine example of many of the Oppo’s musical strengths at play, try listening to the third (“The Alcotts”) movement of Charles Ives A Concord Symphony—a piece originally written as a piano sonata and later orchestrated by Henry Brant (Michael Tilson Thomas/ San Francisco Symphony, SFS Media, Multichannel SACD). Though only a bit more than six minutes long, this movement spans quite a range of orchestral moods, introducing everything from gentle, contemplative woodwind themes, to vigorous and at times quite angular string passages, on through to powerful and sometimes deliberately dissonant brass and percussion outbursts.

One of the two ESS 9018 SABRE32 Reference DACs used in the BDP-95
Through the movement, the BDP-95 impressed me favorably in several ways. First, the Oppo caught the distinctive timbres of each orchestral section in a rich and vibrant, yet never overstated way. Instead, you hear what Brant describes as the “athletic surefootedness” of the orchestration conveying Ives’ musical ideas in “clear, vivid, and intense sonorities.” This player is all about getting the tonal colors and textures of instruments right.

Next, the sheer smoothness of the BDP-95 allowed it to navigate the more angular and dissonant aspects of Ives’ themes in a way that revealed their intentional (and sometimes startling) idiosyncrasies, while at the same time allowing their richness and underlying beauty to shine through. If you know Ives’ music, then you probably know that many disc players tend to turn it into a strident, jagged-sounded mess, but not so the Oppo. String tones, for example, are buttery smooth, while the brass section  sounds appropriately golden and burnished. While the Oppo certainly does not hide the at times quirky aspects of Ives’ themes, its inherent smoothness invites you to listen to and to embrace the broader sweep and flow of the composition.

Finally, the BDP-95’s three-dimensionality lets you hear that this is a live and therefore living and breathing recording captured in Davies Symphony Hall, San Francisco. The Oppo’s ability to retrieve low-level details lets you have a sense for the acoustics of the recording venue and, on louder passages, to sense the manner in which the orchestra energizes the entire hall. The Oppo isn’t however, one of those players that render gobs of detail for detail’s sake; instead, the player’s many small sonic details coalesce to form an integral, organic whole that simply “sounds right.” If you stop to think about it, that’s one of the highest complements we could give to any disk player.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ralfale

« Reply #353 on: June 11, 2011, 10:39 »

Offline Wilber

« Reply #354 on: June 11, 2011, 10:51 »
been waiting for this feature!

Added ID-Tag support  for APE and FLAC files. Now these formats will show Title, Artist, Album and Genre on screen when played back at the Home Menu. Embedded Album Art is also supported for FLAC files.
WTS: Emotiva XPA-100 $475 for 1 Week quick sale
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=186876.0

Offline petetherock

• Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #355 on: July 09, 2011, 18:33 »
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS INSTEAD OF SENDING A PM, MORE CAN LEARN THAT WAY
My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2013/12/my-setup-12-2013.html

Offline cn9601

BDP9x-52-0707B
« Reply #356 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43 »
FYI. After applying BDP9x-52-0707B, attempting to fallback to previous firmware version will prompt 'file is corrupted', though MCU and Loader are possible to fallback.

Oppo's reply:
You will not be able to revert the firmware of the player due to our licensing with Netflix. Only the current firmware or newer firmware can be installed on the player.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
    • Desray HT Blog
« Reply #357 on: July 12, 2011, 12:38 »
FYI. After applying BDP9x-52-0707B, attempting to fallback to previous firmware version will prompt 'file is corrupted', though MCU and Loader are possible to fallback.

Any particular reason why you want to 'fall back' to previous versions of the firmware? Any known issue(s) with this current one?

Offline cn9601

« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2011, 14:21 »
After the initial BDP9x-52-0707B, I thought I had some problems with firmware update because the sound became 'airy' and echo-ing. And so I tried to fallback to previous versions, and I noticed the warning of firmware file was corrupted. Thereafter, I decided to download and apply BDP9x-52-0707B again, and just scrolled through Audio settings, and somehow the problem was fixed (by itself).

Given that xxxB is Beta, as in previous firmware updates, I would expect that there is a back door to revert to previous version (or official version), just in case the latest Beta version has an issue. It's Beta afterall  8)

Any particular reason why you want to 'fall back' to previous versions of the firmware? Any known issue(s) with this current one?

Offline cn9601

Beta testers vs netflix
« Reply #359 on: July 12, 2011, 16:16 »
Guess this Beta version and fallback restriction has already been discussed at length.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=31a9eefc720dc44b624daf00747137b7&t=1311806&page=69

Doubt I will like to apply Beta anymore.......unless it is supposed to fix a problem I have  :-\