Author Topic: Best HT amp / Processor available now  (Read 48927 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Re: Best HT amp / Processor available now
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 20:54 »

Let me know when it arrives, wana hear all their sound signitures before deciding on the nxt processor. 谢谢您!!
+1... awesome setup...
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Offline petetherock

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 20:59 »
I wonder how the XMC-1 will stack up once it is available. http://www.xmc-1.com

The main issue I have with Emotiva is related to the small size of their company, and as a consequence, the ability of the company to play with the big boys.
Their amps are exemplary in value for money, but when it comes to processors, they do have some serious hi tech parts, but they can't get the same reliability that someone like Denon / Onkyo can, who use the same parts / boards for ten or even hundred times the volume of manufacturing?

Eg, the older Denon 4311 had some blue rain issues early in it's run, but it was resolved and became a very reliable product and it's successor the 4520 was essentially trouble free.

The Onkyos have their heat issues, which I suspect arises from design issues with the HDMI boards, but otherwise they are pretty reliable too.

You don't hear too many issues with Yamaha / Pioneer amps and again they have the volume IMHO to get things right quickly..

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2015, 11:06 »
As we anticipate the arrival of the 2015 processors / AV amps, I am just wondering aloud, how future proof will these models be?

I recall that in the old days, an amp will last for a few years before becoming obsolete. Will the incoming models last two or three years?

What can we expect over the 2014 models:

- HDCP 2.2
- DTS-X
- 4k compatibility
- better DSPs (Quad core in the case of D&M models)
- new auto-EQ systems like Dirac

What else will we miss is what I would like to know from the pros...

Cheers

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2015, 11:15 »
I expect more simultaneous channels to 13 or 15 or more - as supported by Atmos and DTS X.

I'd also expect ability to handle and process in native 96/192kHz when room EQ is engaged.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Boxerfan88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Life begins at 7000rpm
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2015, 11:35 »
Future proof? Doubt it. Manufacturer must continue to give one the reason to upgrade. 3 years ago at IBC I checked out NHK's technology demo of 8K with 22.2 audio, amazing is the word. When will that come into the home, I don't know, maybe a few years time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Soekris dac1541 | DA&T A38  | Usher MD2+X616 | Orisun DD12 | Samsung PS50B850 | Elementa BAC 2500 |
Yammy RXA3030 | RPi4+LibreElec | BDP-S5100 | PC+foobar2000 | Chromecast

Offline petetherock

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 11:41 »
Thanks for the info, if these items are what is coming in the next couple of years, then I would say, the current gen is pretty ok.
It will last for a few years as these new developments aren't big on my horizon. But that's me..
It will be nice to have 32/192, but it's more of a bonus for me.

What do I want to know is how much change will there be when DTS-X comes out, and will the first gen be crippled.
I also am keen to know if there will be an evolution of the next auto-EQ system. Audyssey XT 32 is getting a little long in the tooth..

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2015, 12:36 »
As we anticipate the arrival of the 2015 processors / AV amps, I am just wondering aloud, how future proof will these models be?

I recall that in the old days, an amp will last for a few years before becoming obsolete. Will the incoming models last two or three years?

What can we expect over the 2014 models:

- HDCP 2.2
- DTS-X
- 4k compatibility
- better DSPs (Quad core in the case of D&M models)
- new auto-EQ systems like Dirac

What else will we miss is what I would like to know from the pros...

Cheers

You forget about HDMI 2.0 which includes HDR. It will come as a firmware upgrade sometime in the future according to some reliable sources.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 12:43 »
I didn't.
Hdmi 2.0a will be an upgrade in the 2014 models.
HDCP 2.2 was the fly in the ointment....

You forget about HDMI 2.0 which includes HDR. It will come as a firmware upgrade sometime in the future according to some reliable sources.

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 12:44 »

I also am keen to know if there will be an evolution of the next auto-EQ system. Audyssey XT 32 is getting a little long in the tooth..

I also wanted to know where Audyssey is heading and is there any future plan to upgrade the Audyssey calibration algorithm to include 3D sound readings from the "top" plane of our listening environment - case in point, the ceiling speakers...I still believe that the ceiling speakers or Dolby Atmos enabled speakers employing the reflection route are not truly "optimized" in current Audyssey MultEQ XT32 context. Something somewhere doesn't sound right to me...Hopefully the next upgrade in Audyssey is to have a "new level" calibration algorithm to take in more accurate readings from these speakers. Fat hope? I dun think so...

The other possible entry will be Dirac Live to be incorporated in some of the conventional AV makers like Onkyo, Yamaha or even Denon/Marantz...take Anthem Pre/Pro for instance. Hopefully Dirac can make its foray into the home based HT arena soon.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 12:45 »
I didn't.
Hdmi 2.0a will be an upgrade in the 2014 models.
HDCP 2.2 was the fly in the ointment....

Fair enough...just want to point out the High Dynamic Range (HDR) that is making a hoo-ha right now in the AV industry. :P

Offline petetherock

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 12:56 »
Yeah, if only we had a 3D Eq system, with the capability of doing EQ on multiple subs and does it in two minutes..

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2015, 07:48 »
Look out for the new Anthems..
11 channels of amps and more.
http://www.review33.com/news/news.php?news_id=20150807031639

My gear:

Offline luqman123

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 09:01 »
Good alternative side fm onkyo or denon n Marantz, but any agent in spore,  which shop selling it in spore?

Offline Tiktokape

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Nothing to compare, be happy and enjoy while alive
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15 »
Good alternative side fm onkyo or denon n Marantz, but any agent in spore,  which shop selling it in spore?
Hwee Seng (electronics) Pte Ltd

Offline petetherock

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2015, 20:58 »
There was a shootout between the Marantz 8801 / 8802 / Yamaha 5100:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2152201-upcoming-event-yamaha-cx-5100-versus-marantz-av-8802-shootout-4.html#post37997001

I had a personal bias. I wanted nothing more than the Yamaha to leapfrog the Marantz. Anytime something outperforms another product, that is fantastic news for business! Unfortunately, that was not the case last night. Normally there are trade offs. ALSO, NORMALLY the ranking in never comsistant. Meaning, the subjective nature of products differ from person to person. Not so in this case. I'd some it up in one word. RESOLUTION.  The 8802 had more of it and was what we preferred by all. To my ear it meant more bottom end, more magnitude of the plucking of the guitar strings or the **** of the gun in a movie.
 everything came were alive. once I heard this was the case, I chose songs that isolated this difference and became much more apparent to everyone. No one influenced anybody. one by one people entered the event, we set him down did the AB comparson and ask their thoughts. albeit described differently by those who didn't have the audiophile flowery words down, the meaning was the same. Some uses the words "flatter", some "duller" and others "lacked dynamics" (me). 
 don't get me wrong, the Yamaha sounds very good. it's just that the 8802 has more of the same. Additionally, the 8802 was a good deal "fuller" analogous to if you had more mid bass.  From DAC characterization experience, that  means less jitter.

with Yamaha's room correction and Mark's room, some standing waves in the very lowest frequencies cut through. Yamaha definitely mixes it hotter on the LFE. we tried measuring the frequency response but ran into technical difficulties. therefore many of the experiments were simply performed with pure direct bypassing the subwoofers. I preferred xt32.
 I'm keenly interested in testing Yamaha against the 7702 mark 2. I am anticipating 7702 to win.  because on other shootouts, the group preferred the less expensive 7702 over the 8801. if it matters, I believe I'll be selling 2 8802s and 1 7702 Mk 2 after the comparisons. 

My gear:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal