Author Topic: Best HT amp / Processor available now  (Read 33535 times)

Offline Lorenzo

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Best HT amp / Processor available now
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 16:46 »
Maybe cause lesser people buy? haha just my 2 cents.

My "research" over the last week has lead me to ..... Marantz SR7005 :)  :)  :)

Fr the AVS forum, it has one of the shortest threads, i.e. the least complains .....

Any inputs/comments here?

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 17:05 »
My "research" over the last week has lead me to ..... Marantz SR7005 :)  :)  :)

Fr the AVS forum, it has one of the shortest threads, i.e. the least complains .....

Any inputs/comments here?

Considering that my 2 gen ago Denon has the same DSP and Audyssey capabilities..

Plus it is made in Japan and has no fans and is also proven to give 100w pc x 7(something even the Denon 4810 with it's throttled current flow cannot do)..
Well it doesn't excite me.

Marantz gives good value for it's price locally compared to USA. That's the plus. If the Audyssey works properly on this one, then it should be a decent mid-level processor. Hard to comment on its power section without objective measurements.

Rumor has it that it is based on the Denon AVR 3311.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 18:03 by petetherock »
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline macnux

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Common Dreams
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 10:24 »
Fr here ...http://hcc.techradar.com/files/hcc_content/marantzlo.pdf

5 stars from HCC for a UKP1400 AVR .... MIJ .... maybe be based on the 3311 BUT it is MIJ ....
"Never separate the life you live from the words you speak."

Offline macnux

• Common Dreams
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 10:25 »
BTW does anyone know how much is the SR7005 in SG?

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 11:00 »
5 stars from HCC for a UKP1400 AVR .... MIJ .... maybe be based on the 3311 BUT it is MIJ ....

Curious, considering that my 8002 is MIC.  Has the new Denon/Marantz entity re-thought its strategy in terms of positioning the 7xxx and 8xxx level AVRs?  Although IIRC, even back in the day when I had an 8200, the 7200 at the time was MIC, while it wasa only at the 8200 level and above that were MIJ (i.e. 9200 and the reference series, such as Pete's SR-12).
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 11:12 »
If it makes you happy you don't need anyone's approval. And I thought you bought it. The info on the SR 7005 is in the Marantz thread.

Fr here ...http://hcc.techradar.com/files/hcc_content/marantzlo.pdf

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:22 by petetherock »

My gear:

Online synthesis

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 11:26 »
Curious, considering that my 8002 is MIC.  Has the new Denon/Marantz entity re-thought its strategy in terms of positioning the 7xxx and 8xxx level AVRs?  Although IIRC, even back in the day when I had an 8200, the 7200 at the time was MIC, while it wasa only at the 8200 level and above that were MIJ (i.e. 9200 and the reference series, such as Pete's SR-12).

SR7300 was the last MIJ on SR7xxx series.

Offline macnux

• Common Dreams
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 14:09 »
If it makes you happy you don't need anyone's approval. And I thought you bought it. The info on the SR 7005 is in the Marantz thread.

Of course haven't bought it so for sure the SR7005 is not making me happy :) If bought already sure either singing praises or kao-pehing it here :D

Just started arm chair shopping ..... haven't got down to serious leg work yet ....

Offline petetherock

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 00:41 »
The latest on the AVR 4311 saga is that the audio loss in 2.0 has been fixed by the firmware update, and the HDMI board is faulty in certain batches. So you should claim warranty on it if you get the "Blue Rain" and sue the pants off Denon SG if they deny it - its all over the US forums and Denon US acknowledges the issues.

My gear:

Offline jdc115

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 13:45 »
So how many 4311 owners out there?

And how many having this issue?

I've had mine about 3 weeks now and I havent seen it. (But then, I've been so busy since getting the set that I've had no time to experiment...)

Just found this thread.  I have the Blue Rain issue on my 4311 if I have the video processor on.  If I change to Game mode then I do not have it.  I have been meaning to talk to Denon service but haven't done it yet.  I was sort of hoping to hear of a fix first on AVS as the last thing I want to do it remove the 4311 to take it into servicing and not have the issue fixed.  Maybe if they can't fix it, then they will replace the unit? 

Offline allygash

• Snr Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Have u considered the pioneer LX83? I know pioneer is often overpriced here in Sing but the reviews are very impressive. In fact my pioneer AX10 has just blown up so need to replace it. I was thinking of replacing it with the LX83. Never had a Denon before.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 00:22 »
Just found this thread.  I have the Blue Rain issue on my 4311 if I have the video processor on.  If I change to Game mode then I do not have it.  I have been meaning to talk to Denon service but haven't done it yet.  I was sort of hoping to hear of a fix first on AVS as the last thing I want to do it remove the 4311 to take it into servicing and not have the issue fixed.  Maybe if they can't fix it, then they will replace the unit? 
Bro there is a video board issue.
But not all Denon centres admit to this.

Also the mic is faulty on some units.
Basically it is a technically superior unit with poor QC. The 4312 IMO is going to be introduced earlier than usual...

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 07:58 »
Lots of info on the higher end kit on AVS and it is interesting to know:

- the AVR 4311 costs more than the Onkyo 5008 in USA!
- has only 60% of the capacitance of the 5008 and also less than the 3008 - beware when driving something tough, 4ohm capability notwithstanding
- no gold plated connectors
- apart from the Denon 4810, the 4311 is the only 11.2 capable amp for now
- if you need the latest flavor of sound formats: DTS Neo X - only the new Onkyo 3009 & 5009 and the 5509 processor have it
- if you have an older Denon AVC A1, you can get an upgrade board with the works and a 11.2 setup

For now, those that need the processing power of the Audyssey XT 32 have as limited a choice as it was six months back.

Given the nature of the market, I still feel you should buy the smartest processor / amp you can get, but don't overspend on the processor, as the next year something will come out.

Denon's new XT 32 capable amp is only slated to come out next spring, so you can wait, or jump in now on the fasting depleting stocks of the 4311. No wonder the prices have not come down.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2011, 08:07 »
For those that are more inclined to other brands, the Pioneer LX 85 has received more than a few posts here.
http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/content/press/news/high-end-receivers-2011.html?utm_source=pgbrss&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rsshbg
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/av-receivers/pioneer-sc-lx85-review-50005009/

I know members who gave up XT 32 to consider this. But my question is will the MACC be as good? I consider a good auto-calibration essential, and many members don't go beyond armchair calibration and room treatment is an often discussed but seldom implemented concept given our proclivities towards aesthetics first.

Marantz, Rotel, Arcam have no response at this time. That's surprising for Marantz, since it is essentially a sister company of Denon. The smaller companies won't be able to keep up with the latest technology. Anthem is another much more expensive brand to consider for HT, but the pricing puts it in another league altogether. It uses it's own ARC.

My gear:

Offline petetherock

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2011, 16:07 »
Just had a word with Clarence KEC:
The new Onkyo 3009 will come in at about 25xx before tax... Still 9.2, but good enough for most... THX Ultra II...

My gear: