Author Topic: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules  (Read 165711 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules
« Reply #450 on: September 24, 2013, 17:27 »
My wife said Dharkan tasted like robusta :)

It's the only Nespresso flavor that keeps me awake at night!!
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #451 on: September 28, 2013, 08:11 »
How long do the capsules last past their expiry date. Still can buy Kona if avail? Will the taste be affected or will I look for the gents?

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2013, 12:45 »
I am still using some which have expired in August!  I don't detect any taste differences at all! ;D

Just got 10 sleeves each of Dharkan and Vanilla from London at average $6.80 per sleeve of 10 capsules!

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2013, 13:31 »
Oh ok.  Indriya and Arpeggio remain fav for normal blend.

Using cheapo Daiso frother.  :P

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2013, 16:15 »
Found a cheap double walled glass for latte today at the Reject Shop :)

Just 8 bucks for the 2 x 45ml. The smaller cappuccino one (30ml) was 5 bucks for 2.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2013, 17:06 »
I got the kopi cup set for $2.60 with spoon at Chinatown shop where all the F&B personnel go.

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2013, 17:39 »
Dumb question here.

Can I use Nestle Gusto caps on Nespresso machines?

Thx
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline francis wu

« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2013, 19:25 »
Check the cap size first! :)

Offline Marc9

« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2013, 22:46 »
Totally new to these coffee machines, but would like to get one. Saw many brands and diff kinds
Anyone has recommendations and where to get? And what diff?

Offline francis wu

« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2013, 22:56 »
Go to ION Orchard where the Nespresso Boutique store is located and test the various models on display.  Ask them to make you a cup of Vanilio and see whether you like it or not ;D

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #460 on: October 02, 2013, 23:08 »
Totally new to these coffee machines, but would like to get one. Saw many brands and diff kinds
Anyone has recommendations and where to get? And what diff?

There are many brands out there and it really depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are.

If you are just looking for a basic machine without too much fuss, I think the Dolce Gusto machines are worth considering. They are easy to use and you don't even need to buy fresh milk. Milk powder is used and the machine is run twice - once for coffee and the other for the frothed milk. You also have the choice of tea and chocolate - not just coffee. Downsides - range of drinks are limited - and so far, no special blends. I personally find it is OK, but I draw the line with milk powder. I usually just buy the Espresso capsules, and I bought a Nespresso Aerocino milk frother which has a heater element and a spinning frother for milk. The Nespresso Aerocino died after about a year but as I was out of Singapore, I stopped using it but my sister in law has since gotten a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf frother in its place.

I personally prefer the Nespresso range. The range of flavors gives me more options and they have specialty flavors quite often. The patent on Nespresso has expired so over in Australia, I can now find third party capsules from the local supermarkets, not just from Nespresso. Nespresso machines also come in many varieties and they fall into 3 kinds - all of which use the same capsules, and differ in how milk frothing is done.

a. uses an Aerocino device - this can be a separate unit and power cable or it can be integrated into the Nespresso machine itself. You pour milk in the jug, put it on the heater pad and press Start. There is a frothing element inside that spins to froth the milk. Not particularly reliable but works well when it does. Sometimes milk gets burnt at the bottom and it can be a pain to wash.

b. it has a built in milk wand like in normal espresso machines. You need a normal jug to hold the milk and a milk thermometer. You insert the wand into the jug of milk and hot steam passes through the milk - basically works like a barista's machine. It is a bit messier than the Aerocino but should give you the best milk frothing. So far only one model has that and it is quite a premium model - I think jimi has that.

c. the last variety is the one I have - the milk is stored in a cannister - that can be attached/removed from the main machine. When you plug it in, the milk is drawn into the machine, frothed then pumped out through the spout so it is highly automated. No need to mix the milk on your own. But I don't particularly like the way the milk is frothed. It is convenient tho. I just remove the cannister of milk when I am done and put it back in the fridge. I now use a third party frother from Breville - really barista quality milk frothing without any burnt milk cos it uses a large induction heater instead of just the base.

Besides the Nespresso system, you will also find Cafitaly (I think that's the one used by Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf) and other systems (tho not compatible with each other). I also can get the Cafitaly here in Australia cos Woolworths sells a compatible machine. Range of coffee is more limited than Nespresso but it is quite cheap to buy and the capsules are also quite cheap.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Marc9

« Reply #461 on: October 02, 2013, 23:45 »
There are many brands out there and it really depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are.

If you are just looking for a basic machine without too much fuss, I think the Dolce Gusto machines are worth considering. They are easy to use and you don't even need to buy fresh milk. Milk powder is used and the machine is run twice - once for coffee and the other for the frothed milk. You also have the choice of tea and chocolate - not just coffee. Downsides - range of drinks are limited - and so far, no special blends. I personally find it is OK, but I draw the line with milk powder. I usually just buy the Espresso capsules, and I bought a Nespresso Aerocino milk frother which has a heater element and a spinning frother for milk. The Nespresso Aerocino died after about a year but as I was out of Singapore, I stopped using it but my sister in law has since gotten a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf frother in its place.

I personally prefer the Nespresso range. The range of flavors gives me more options and they have specialty flavors quite often. The patent on Nespresso has expired so over in Australia, I can now find third party capsules from the local supermarkets, not just from Nespresso. Nespresso machines also come in many varieties and they fall into 3 kinds - all of which use the same capsules, and differ in how milk frothing is done.

a. uses an Aerocino device - this can be a separate unit and power cable or it can be integrated into the Nespresso machine itself. You pour milk in the jug, put it on the heater pad and press Start. There is a frothing element inside that spins to froth the milk. Not particularly reliable but works well when it does. Sometimes milk gets burnt at the bottom and it can be a pain to wash.

b. it has a built in milk wand like in normal espresso machines. You need a normal jug to hold the milk and a milk thermometer. You insert the wand into the jug of milk and hot steam passes through the milk - basically works like a barista's machine. It is a bit messier than the Aerocino but should give you the best milk frothing. So far only one model has that and it is quite a premium model - I think jimi has that.

c. the last variety is the one I have - the milk is stored in a cannister - that can be attached/removed from the main machine. When you plug it in, the milk is drawn into the machine, frothed then pumped out through the spout so it is highly automated. No need to mix the milk on your own. But I don't particularly like the way the milk is frothed. It is convenient tho. I just remove the cannister of milk when I am done and put it back in the fridge. I now use a third party frother from Breville - really barista quality milk frothing without any burnt milk cos it uses a large induction heater instead of just the base.

Besides the Nespresso system, you will also find Cafitaly (I think that's the one used by Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf) and other systems (tho not compatible with each other). I also can get the Cafitaly here in Australia cos Woolworths sells a compatible machine. Range of coffee is more limited than Nespresso but it is quite cheap to buy and the capsules are also quite cheap.

Actually saw the dolce gusto machines, still quite affordable
Am looking for something without too much fuss, probable like gusto?
The milk function I thought is supposed to be together inside, just out the capsule in then can liao hah
Does it make a big diff in the taste?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57 »
I did mention Dolce Gusto does have milk capsules. But it doesn't taste as good to me.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2013, 08:47 »
Actually saw the dolce gusto machines, still quite affordable
Am looking for something without too much fuss, probable like gusto?
The milk function I thought is supposed to be together inside, just out the capsule in then can liao hah
Does it make a big diff in the taste?

I am a supporter of Nespresso. If you haven't tried Crealto you haven't been drinking.  ;D ;D ;D
A mid-end machine like CitiZ cost $288 from the local "distributor" at hardwarezone MO folder. The quality and value really a no brainier. He sell everything from machines to capsules to accessories. If you got no lobang it's a good place to start.
Now I go for variations and limited editions. Crealto only can be found in Australia eBay so better be fast. Dun know if Doggie Howser can help me buy.  :P

Offline francis wu

« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42 »
Drinking coffee with milk is still acceptable but with milk powder, it's a SIN ;D :'(