Author Topic: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules  (Read 166028 times)

Offline mikeang88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2011, 14:27 »
The bad thing about nespresso was that there are 3 places to get them in singapore unless you want to order them online of which there is a minimum order of at least 5 tubes.

The nestle one is supposed to be available at major supermarkets.

Guys, you should note that both are from the same parent company. This seems like a way for them to differentiate the products. I am guessing the nestle one is more mass market. Nespresso one are sold only at Takashimaya and ION and by those wearing uniform and jackets...  Quality are different.

Btw, I was told that the machine is made in UK and NOT china. I cannot substantiate it anywhere from the device or the box.

Where did you get the capsules at that price? Sounds cheap.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2011, 20:45 »
Picked up the Nescafe Piccolo from my friend who bought it at the fair (he had a spare) and ended up going to FairPrice in Bukit Timah Plaza to grab more refills.

Now having my Machiato.

Have to say it's not too bad. Reasonably easy to use but the manual despite being graphical wasn't easy to follow. But I guess it's intuitive enough. Except that when you first rinse the internals, the water doesn't flow into the cup below and it's messy.

One thing that bothers me a little is that this thing seems far more prone to dripping and generally more messy than the Nespresso machines that I have used before.

Still, much easier to clean up than a regular coffee machine.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline armoury

• The lunatic is on the grass...
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2011, 16:04 »
Saw this demo in Hong Kong Exhibition Centre on Tuesday 6th ...

So is there a new variation out yet?
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2011, 17:17 »
This is Nespresso or Nestle?

Saw this demo in Hong Kong Exhibition Centre on Tuesday 6th ...

Offline etnt

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2011, 17:18 »
Looks like nespresso commercial. The pods are flattish.

Offline Austrich

Nespresso coffee machine and capsules
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2011, 18:26 »
This is Nespresso or Nestle? 
It's Nespresso ...

So is there a new variation out yet? 

Sorry, I didn't stay to sample, too many people. I was there to attend the Asian Seafood / Restaurant & Bar Exhibition.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 09:52 by Austrich »

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2011, 20:48 »
Please welcome to the club. I pick my machine just based on my kitchen cabinet colour. :)

Match or not?

(Audio)

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2011, 21:21 »
over the weekend, i bought the nescafe dolce gusto piccolo on sales at NTUC for SGD199 that comes with machine + 4 boxes of free capsule.

I had a chance to sample mocca + cuppacino + esspresso. Here's my verdict : the gusto capsules comes with milk and if you did milk coffee, you use 2 (one for coffee and one for milk). The milk is typical slight sour aftertaste and taste more like powdered milk than fresh milk.

Mocca and espresso is not bad but cuppacino can forget it as the foam really is too weak and disperse within 2 minutes.

The big advantage is convenient and speed. It takes only 30secs to heat up and cleans much easier. You do not need a separate foaming device for the milk. ANd the size of the drink is slightly more.

http://www.dolce-gusto.us/Products/Machines/Nescafe-Dolce-Gusto-Piccolo.aspx

Taste wise, i will still use my nespresso but for a quick breakfast fix, i think the piccolo is a good alternative.

I also got a Jura F50 which i seldom use now. It is much better than the nespresso in terms of aroma and body. But it is quite inconvenient to waste after that. And you need to consume all the coffee powder or bean rather quickly as they are not individually capsuled.

I have all 3 and intend to keep all 3. Each one use for one purpose.

Have a good cuppa!
I bought one of these special promotion piccolo bundles too at Best Denki yesterday. It's a very good offer especially for the piccolo if you can find it anywhere. Seems each store is alloted only 20 sets of this promotion offer for each model and the piccolo one is practically sold out everywhere.
All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All things wise and wonderful
The Lord God made them all
Cecil Francis Alexander 1818-1895

Offline jonlee

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2011, 22:50 »
Please welcome to the club. I pick my machine just based on my kitchen cabinet colour. :)

Match or not?

(Audio)
Ang Kong Kong!  Huat ah!

And yes...welcome to the nespresso club.  Enjoy ur cuppa!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 13:56 by jonlee »

Offline kuryakin

« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2011, 11:30 »
DH/pschia
both of you also bought the piccolo? I sampled the latte. I found it slightly too milky but apparently you can stop the milk capsule mid-way to lessen it.
With $189 base price, looks very tempting compared to Nespresso Essenza at $320.

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2011, 11:44 »
The piccolo works well as a daily-use machine compared to the nespresso because it's much simplier to use and easier to clean but compromise a bit on taste especially the milk part. The big benefit of the nestle is due to it's convenient on not needing liquid fresh milk. Nespresso need liquid milk to make the foam but it taste heavenly.

DH/pschia
both of you also bought the piccolo? I sampled the latte. I found it slightly too milky but apparently you can stop the milk capsule mid-way to lessen it.
With $189 base price, looks very tempting compared to Nespresso Essenza at $320.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #161 on: September 12, 2011, 11:50 »
What I've done is to heat up the milk in microwave and add the espresso on top of it. The espresso provides a bit of a foam and the taste IMHO is just as good.

Downsides of the Dolce Gusto is that it's not as "elite" as nespresso. YOu just have the basic espresso, latte, cappuccino, mocha capsules. No fancy Moroccan/Blue Mountain/Columbian special blends. FWIW, I actually think the coffee taste is quite good.

As mike mentioned, you don't have to wash out a milk frother container afterwards. The standard machine is just as easy to clean as the basic Nespresso machine.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #162 on: September 12, 2011, 11:54 »
DH/pschia
I didn't even know how to use the milk capsule from the pictorial user manual the first time. In the end, I just open up the capsule and pour the milk powder inside the coffee since I didn't really care whether there are layers or not in my coffee.  ::)
Since the flow is user controlled, so it should be OK to stop the milk capsule any time you like to vary the amount and taste of the milk in the final mix and make up the volume by increasing the flow of water through the coffee capsule. I actually like my coffee to have more milk than less so using up all the milk powder in the capsule is fine for me.

Now that I know that there is a promotional bundle of 4 boxes with each piccolo at $199 (price is even better if you factor in the discounts/rebates if charged to some dept store cards... up to 10% rebate for Tangs), the price of $189 suddenly don't seem too attractive to me any more. Luckily I didn't buy earlier.  :)

Offline mikeang88

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2011, 12:01 »
HAHA... how did that taste when you pour the milk powder raw?

That was why i was suspicious when told that the machine is UK made. The manual screamed Made in China.

I didn't even know how to use the milk capsule from the pictorial user manual the first time. In the end, I just open up the capsule and pour the milk powder inside the coffee since I didn't really care whether there are layers or not in my coffee.  ::)
Since the flow is user controlled, so it should be OK to stop the milk capsule any time you like to vary the amount and taste of the milk in the final mix and make up the volume by increasing the flow of water through the coffee capsule. I actually like my coffee to have more milk than less so using up all the milk powder in the capsule is fine for me.

Now that I know that there is a promotional bundle of 4 boxes with each piccolo at $199 (price is even better if you factor in the discounts/rebates if charged to some dept store cards... up to 10% rebate for Tangs), the price of $189 suddenly don't seem too attractive to me any more. Luckily I didn't buy earlier.  :)

Offline pschia

• I love Cats !
« Reply #164 on: September 12, 2011, 12:06 »
Downsides of the Dolce Gusto is that it's not as "elite" as nespresso. YOu just have the basic espresso, latte, cappuccino, mocha capsules. No fancy Moroccan/Blue Mountain/Columbian special blends. FWIW, I actually think the coffee taste is quite good.
The promotors said that there are many types of Dolce Gusto capsules available worldwide (their web site shows 15 types) Though only 4 is available now locally, more would be coming to Singapore by Dec this year. What I do like about the Dolce Gusto is that it can do non-coffee drinks as well like Peach Iced Tea, Chai Tea Latte, Chocolate, etc.

Another thing I like is that their capsules are much bigger than those of Nespresso and other alternatives.... more coffee powder and better bang for bucks. Good for me as I like a full glass of coffee instead of the teensy weensy cups for other coffee makers.  :)