Author Topic: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules  (Read 168229 times)

Offline HoSaybo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nespresso coffee machine and capsules
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2010, 20:26 »
I am fan of Indriya, Apreggio and Ristretto.

Similar Taste as me..... Existing stock mainly this 3. I drink my cuppa with no sugar as well. Like the original taste!

Offline jeffong

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 19:58 »
Anyone here using the Lattisima?  Been asked to get one for the office but I can't tell what's the bloody diff between the Mysterious Black and the Stain Silver versions other than the $300 premium.
HDR Rulez - Panny UB820 | Oppo UDP-203 | Zapitti One Mini | Apple TV 4K
Stewart Firehawk 92" | LG 65E6T | Panny 65VT30 | Benq 5700
Denon 8500 | Denon 7200WA | SVS PC-12+ | JL E110

Offline kelso

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2010, 20:53 »
The silver version has a cup warming plate and programmable power off as additional features.
Waking up in the morning is the second hardest thing.

Offline nomad

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2011, 13:44 »
Any price increase? It's been a month or two since I've last ordered any tubes.

This machine is really convenient compared with the Jura that grinds the beans and steam froth the milk.

Waah the smell of freshly ground beans fantastic. Nespresso  can't beat except super quick easy fix for wife to brew.

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2011, 13:57 »
If you like espresso, then a Nespresso doesn't come close to one of those machines that grinds the beans each time you brew. I have a Krups that my wife bought me for my birthday, and the coffee (using Illy beans) is fantastic. Beats Nespresso hands down, as Nespresso is really all about convenience.

In HT terms, I'd say Nespresso is like home-theater-in-a-box systems, and a good automatic espresso machine (that uses whole beans) is equivalent to an entry-level or mid-range system.

For high-end, which requires lots of TLC and careful attention, you are talking about machines that leave it to you to grind the beans yourself using a seperate grinder, pack the espresso into the holder using your arm strength, and then produce really high-pressure when extracting the coffee - but those are a real pain in the butt as the effort required to get consistent quality is quite high...sort of like matching a tube amp to your speakers, etc. It's like those of us who insist on having a completely separate system just for audio.
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline nomad

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2011, 16:17 »
Excellent analogy can't beat that description for HT enthusiast.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2011, 17:35 »
Not at all...my machine with separate grinder cost about the same as your midfi equate there with the semi autos <$1700 and I have no trouble making a consistently good cup of coffee, and in a few minutes only for 2 cups.

The nespresso's are fine for a reasonable cup but of course can't beat the dedicated machine. It's a lot more about the beans and grinding on demand to stop the beans oxidizing. If you don't have that right then you are already headed for disaster. Forget about the rest of the process...just like starting with a badly produced cd, no amount of hifi gear can extract what is not there to start with.

Any beans that are 3-4 weeks after roasting are already past their prime and less than 4-5 days after roast are not at their prime either.

Milk just covers up bad coffee ... So many places get away with it

For high-end, which requires lots of TLC and careful attention, you are talking about machines that leave it to you to grind the beans yourself using a seperate grinder, pack the espresso into the holder using your arm strength, and then produce really high-pressure when extracting the coffee - but those are a real pain in the butt as the effort required to get consistent quality is quite high...sort of like matching a tube amp to your speakers, etc. It's like those of us who insist on having a completely separate system just for audio.

I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2011, 17:44 »
This is the sort of machine I think of as 'high end' espresso. It may not be that expensive, but making espresso with this is a labor of love. You are using your own arm-strength to 'express' the coffee out with the appropriate pressure. And if you are really into it, you use your own grinder and judge the correct texture of the powder with your fingers. Also, how tightly you pack the powder in the holder is an important factor - too loose and you'll get watery coffee, too tight and the coffee will be too bitter because the water takes too long to go through.

http://www.amazon.com/Pavoni-PC-16-Professional-Espresso-Machine/dp/B00004S9GH/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1296553317&sr=1-1

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2011, 17:55 »
The la pavoni levers are a different breed ... Like turntables versus cd players

Regardless at this level everything matters amount of coffee, press of water, even the water itself is a BIG player, plus the temperature stability all matter.

Here is a good read...

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/espresso/potential.htm the last paragraph says it all

If you want to learn to make espresso, it is essential to practice and experiment.  The key to making espresso is to realize that it always has further potential.  By changing any one of these factors you can improve or diminish its potential.  Espresso preparation is an art that demands the precision and dedication of science.  I have never achieved, nor have ever seen anyone make a perfect espresso.  A perfect espresso is more of a concept than an actuality.  The beauty is that espresso is volatile and difficult.  If it were easy, we would develop a machine that knows how to make a perfect espresso every time.  There are so many factors involved in espresso preparation that only a human mind and a passionate heart can begin to understand and control its complexity.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 18:01 by wizardofoz »
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2011, 18:06 »
I want a synesso they have one at 40 hands in tiong baru and damn the coffee is great there

http://www.beanhunter.com/cafes/review/forty-hands

They sell beans too but I find highlander beans as good if not better and cheaper and fresher too.

http://www.highlandercoffee.com
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 18:18 by wizardofoz »

Offline domho8

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 19:33 »
..and if you are game for higher end ...

Bro high end machine how muchie.

Offline Austrich

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2011, 19:37 »
the high-end one need to connect water pipe to machine and running on 15A plug. I think cost around $4k+ with grinder.

The "Rocket" in the first photo is good enough for home, powerful !  $3k + $600+ for grinder .

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2011, 19:46 »
The high-end machines look nice, but if you don't put the effort in then you won't get good coffee. Better to stick to an automatic self-cleaning machine like a Krups unless you're really serious. I love good espresso, but it was too much of a hassle to make it on a less automated machine every morning when I was rushing to work. At least since I got the Krups machine, I get fairly decent espresso every morning (and other times of the day!) quickly, at the press of a button.

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2011, 20:01 »
IMO, when it comes to coffee taste n conveniece, nothing beats the Nespresso!

The number of blends available is mouth watering.  Each day brings new smell n taste that you can't wait to wake up in the morning..... ;D

Variety is definitely the spice of my life.... 8)

Btw, those of you running short of caps, let me know as I still have about 30 packs!

I will be bringing 10 Excelso robusta coffee packs (airflowned from Surabaya) to Austrich place for distribution to coffee addicts...... :-*

Offline Austrich

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2011, 20:39 »
I will be bringing 10 Excelso robusta coffee packs (airflowned from Surabaya) to Austrich place for distribution to coffee addicts...... :-* 

Thanks bro... next time can Airflown 100 packs, I have a cold room ...  ;D