Author Topic: VPN service - recommendations?  (Read 13744 times)

Offline domho8

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: VPN service - recommendations?
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 23:28 »
KNN just now Netflix tio blocked ah, went Smartdns chat support, immediately solved by doing an update.
The response sibei Kin ah, KNN chin song ah!!  ;D

Offline domho8

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59 »
It turns out Netflix is serious about enforcing geographical content restrictions, presumably to respect the licensing agreements of content distributors.

Now, even internet service providers like Singapore’s MyRepublic as well as VPN providers are having trouble getting around it.

Some methods worked but only for a limited period.
MyRepublic had just sent an email to all its subscribers about how its VPN-like Teleport service can no longer let people watch the US version of Netflix, which has a far larger video library than the Singapore one.

“Over the the past month we have been working with customers to test and evaluate different options. Some methods worked but only for a limited period. Over time, we observed that Netflix’s proxy detection and blocking process is ongoing, complex and evolving,” wrote MyRepublic, resigned.

This email was prompted by complaints from MyRepublic customers who’ve been unable to access Netflix US.

“We believe that we’ve entered a new age of global streaming, where Over-The-Top (OTT) content providers have expanded their offers globally like never before — and have consequently stepped up how carefully they manage and deliver their content.”

MyRepublic will instead focus its efforts on optimizing video streaming for Netflix Singapore.

While Netflix had in the past turned a blind eye whenever users accessed its US service via a VPN, that changed once it opened up its service to pretty much the whole world.

“We have a ways to go before we can offer people the same films and TV series everywhere. Over time, we anticipate being able to do so,” Netflix wrote in a blog post foreshadowing the more stringent restrictions.

“For now, given the historic practice of licensing content by geographic territories, the TV shows and movies we offer differ, to varying degrees, by territory. In the meantime, we will continue to respect and enforce content licensing by geographic location.”

For Netflix fans who’ve been eagerly awaiting the launch of the service in their countries, and who are used to not having to wait to catch a full season of Netflix’s in-house shows, this is an uncharacteristic moment of delayed gratification.

Offline domho8

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 13:01 »
Full letter from MyRepublic:

Offline domho8

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2016, 19:12 »
I was put on hold to tech support for around 27mins ah.. ViewQwest, really short handed or bo chap ah.
But cant beat M1 ever hold for 40mins, put on spk mode.

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2016, 13:25 »
I was put on hold to tech support for around 27mins ah.. ViewQwest, really short handed or bo chap ah.
But cant beat M1 ever hold for 40mins, put on spk mode.

VQW had service outage at AMK exchange since last thurs.

They had to change out the exchange GPON equipment.

They had to schedule for tech to come to visit each affected subscriber house to change out the ONT.

Offline domho8

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 14:00 »
VQW had service outage at AMK exchange since last thurs.

They had to change out the exchange GPON equipment.

They had to schedule for tech to come to visit each affected subscriber house to change out the ONT.
Wa so siong ah. I went on Sat but they told me only Mon to Fri can do ah. Knn ah

Sent from my iNO 3 using Tapatalk

Offline tane0019

• 3rd Rock from the SUN - Middle Earth
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2017, 18:43 »
I use Express VPN.  So far so good :)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 23:40 »
IMHO I would be wary of someone who's first post includes links after joining a little earlier...But Thats just me  ???  YMMV
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 15:58 »
I use Hide My Ass because I can set VPN to USA and it works reliably.

I bought the Ruko Ultra.  Set it up and working well in the US.  Come back to HK, yes, expected, nothing works.

So, I bought a Asus RT-AC68U router, don't even have to flash DD-WRT.  Just use their OpenVPN and straightway can use HideMyAss server in the US.

I got nothing to hide, .....just want to use my Roku like any other legitimate customers.

(Audio)

Offline murphys33

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 09:29 »
Hi,
 I am a newbie. Wanted to consult experts on VPN.
 If I subscribe to a VPN service, and set it up on my router. Does this mean that all traffic linked to this router enjoys VPN services? Or I need to configure this as per device?

I am contemplating a vpn service for my unblock TV box and for my PC. Appreciate some pointers and choice of a good vpn service.

Many thanks!

Offline furychamp

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 20:13 »
Hi,
 I am a newbie. Wanted to consult experts on VPN.
 If I subscribe to a VPN service, and set it up on my router. Does this mean that all traffic linked to this router enjoys VPN services? Or I need to configure this as per device?

I am contemplating a vpn service for my unblock TV box and for my PC. Appreciate some pointers and choice of a good vpn service.

Many thanks!

That's a very good question. There are some routers in market now on which you can configure your VPN service and every device connected to it will be able to enjoy the VPN juice ;) But very few have been doing this. I guess you can check PureVPN or there are 2 or 3 more. Well, If you need further help please Google it. You will find the best solution there. :)