Author Topic: VPN service - recommendations?  (Read 21510 times)

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: VPN service - recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59 »
Personally I use StrongVPN.com when travelling and sometimes from my laptop when out and about like at clients or public networks
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 14:56 »
This little effort is very cool if you are really paranoid

https://tails.boum.org
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline Audio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2014, 14:51 »
I am using "Hide My Ass" for a few years already....  :)

(Audio)

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 15:54 »
Is this gonna be a concern in the near future for Netflix users?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/26/hulu-blocks-vpns/

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 18:42 »
Is this gonna be a concern in the near future for Netflix users?

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/26/hulu-blocks-vpns/

MR teleport service use DNS so no issue. Cannot work just complain.  ;D

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 13:33 »
This had to happen rightt after I signed up for my strong VPN connection :/ the tech support person says they're working on a permanent solution and it will take about a week. Meanwhile their customers are voicing their displeasure over on their Facebook page.

Anybody else - besides MR users - have had luck with the hulu situation? I think netflix will also follow suit soon...
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Blu Ray Discs for sale from $10 & DVDs @ $5 - contact 94595907, thank you

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 15:32 »
This had to happen rightt after I signed up for my strong VPN connection :/ the tech support person says they're working on a permanent solution and it will take about a week. Meanwhile their customers are voicing their displeasure over on their Facebook page.

Anybody else - besides MR users - have had luck with the hulu situation? I think netflix will also follow suit soon...

Jeez dude, you jinxed us all!…. Just kidding! :P

I just gave it a try, you’re right, Hulu has already started blocking StrongVPN (when tested on my StarHub broadband line).

I’ve also got a ViewQwest FTTH line and ironically Hulu works perfectly without VPN (their Freedom VPN service) - dump MR, go ViewQwest; great performance, symmetric speed (at least below 500Mbps), fixed IP address, great price, no downside (thus far!)  ;D
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 15:48 »
+1 for ViewQuest ... if you like to save $25 refer a friend and you both get $25 off yr next / first bill... They also have a month to month non contract service that I am using until a good offer comes up like next pc show I am happy to be a referrer if you want to sign up then PM me and we can both save $25

yup hulu working fine on VQ

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 15:56 by wizardofoz »

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 21:57 »
+1 for ViewQuest ... if you like to save $25 refer a friend and you both get $25 off yr next / first bill... They also have a month to month non contract service that I am using until a good offer comes up like next pc show I am happy to be a referrer if you want to sign up then PM me and we can both save $25

yup hulu working fine on VQ

VQ PPTV support very good. So is TVB and the sports channels.  ;D

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2014, 02:03 »
thanks for the info regarding view quest - i can only think about making the switch when my current star hub plan expires in Feb 2015. meanwhile i actually got a relative of mine to sign up with view quest & he's happy with the service :)

by the way, strong vpn fixed the access issues with Hulu! :)
Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06 »
...by the way, strong vpn fixed the access issues with Hulu! :)

Hmmm...doesn’t look like it’s fixed completely though… I just tried it and I’m getting the same “proxy… not currently available outside the U.S….” message.  ???

Offline InnocentBlood

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2014, 13:10 »
Hmmm...doesn’t look like it’s fixed completely though… I just tried it and I’m getting the same “proxy… not currently available outside the U.S….” message.  ???

how are you connecting Andrew? if it's by software client, they released a new update here: http://blog.strongvpn.com - see the post dated 30 April.

it's currently working for me over the software client & also over the wireless router.

Sex N' Violence

Undesirable Publications

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2014, 19:33 »
how are you connecting Andrew? if it's by software client, they released a new update here: http://blog.strongvpn.com - see the post dated 30 April.

it's currently working for me over the software client & also over the wireless router.

Thanks for the heads-up, if you hadn’t mentioned, I’d not have checked … Got it fixed it!  :)

The updated MacOS Client worked perfectly, but my Router OpenVPN session was still getting rejected by Hulu. Tried switching servers, and reconfiguring OpenVPN, neither solved the problem… Eventually decided to ping StrongVPN's technical support; via their online chat session they provided me with a new set of fixed DNS settings that did the job  ;D

StrongVPN’s technical support is brilliant, and instantaneous!

Offline Knight_Rider

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2016, 20:34 »
Going forward SmartDNS is the way to go. VPN like the once popular Astrill is slowly dying.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2016, 22:29 »
StrongVPN’s technical support is brilliant, and instantaneous!

Have to agree..not the cheapest but very responsive and easy to deal with remotely...speaking russian might be an advantage too if you can...I don't but they all seem to be russians.