Author Topic: ATC owners/potential owners thread  (Read 71526 times)

Offline tsphua

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: ATC owners/potential owners thread
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 19:45 »
The classic SCM50A is very affordable imho.
No need to buy matching amps... spend a fortune on speaker wire... Just a good source and you are set.

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 20:42 »
The classic SCM50A is very affordable imho.
No need to buy matching amps... spend a fortune on speaker wire... Just a good source and you are set.

how much's the classic?

the latest generation of the ATC SCM50ASL's about 12.2k usd
maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline distagon

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 02:18 »
hi bros, where can i look for ATC Amp in singapore?
 :)

Offline vajrasattvasg

maybe the human ear isn't good enough. we need measurements, figures, numbers, calculations to tell and convince us what good sound is. or do we have to satisfy an unspoken insecurity??

Offline sae91

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 11:35 »
tried resolution.sg?

Are their prices in USD, excluding shipping and GST?

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 12:56 »
Are their prices in USD, excluding shipping and GST?

in usd, i forgot where is the option to change it to sgd. gst i not sure but you could contact them about it though.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 20:04 »
Neither USD nor SGD. Call them for actual prices.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 01:00 »
just got home.. first thing i did was just to play some music :P

got the scm7 a while ago for desktop audio in place of my former spendors.. realized a T-amp at 45+45w cannot drive the scm7, and nearfield it didnt sound any good.. i wonder how do studios implement their ATCs or maybe they are using the active and the bigger ones?

brought the speakers home and hooked up a pair of 100wpc tube monoblocks.. now the speaker's singing!! damn they are power hungry.

i'm beginning to have this wierd fascination with watching the bouncing ATC drivers.. and i realized the scm7 cannot go too loud without  reaching the woofer's x-max..  :( getting tempted by jamesw's ATC scm20 for sale.. maybe i should trade in my scm7.. arghh!! poisonous!!
[youtube]tF2hmAitc3I[/youtube]
(bah youtube has gotten the audio slightly out of sync with the vid)

Offline nautilus

• What do you want to change today?
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24 »
Are those SCM7's in the pix? If you really want to get the 20's, try to get the SL series. Also, 20's are more demanding to drive than the 7's so if your current amplification can barely make it for the 7, then it'll be even worse for the 20.
Naim ND555/555DR/552DR/500DR/Super Lumina cables/Fraim/B&W 803D3

Offline vajrasattvasg

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2011, 01:29 »
Are those SCM7's in the pix? If you really want to get the 20's, try to get the SL series. Also, 20's are more demanding to drive than the 7's so if your current amplification can barely make it for the 7, then it'll be even worse for the 20.

yup they are the scm7s in the pic. no issue with my current amplification at home i guess.. drives anything i throw at it... thats why there's this temptation to upgrade now.. :(

Offline sae91

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38 »
yup they are the scm7s in the pic. no issue with my current amplification at home i guess.. drives anything i throw at it... thats why there's this temptation to upgrade now.. :(
Good thing you have a pair of monoblocks driving them.  I've seen people driving it with a low-powered tube integrated amp.  Gosh, they sounded like mini-compo at low levels and grainy at high.  That amp simply couldn't keep up with the 7s.

I'm powering my 11s with the McCormack DNA 1 Rev A. Piece of cake.

Offline sae91

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54 »
got the scm7 a while ago for desktop audio in place of my former spendors.. realized a T-amp at 45+45w cannot drive the scm7, and nearfield it didnt sound any good.. i wonder how do studios implement their ATCs or maybe they are using the active and the bigger ones?

brought the speakers home and hooked up a pair of 100wpc tube monoblocks.. now the speaker's singing!! damn they are power hungry.

i'm beginning to have this wierd fascination with watching the bouncing ATC drivers.. and i realized the scm7 cannot go too loud without  reaching the woofer's x-max..  :( getting tempted by jamesw's ATC scm20 for sale.. maybe i should trade in my scm7.. arghh!! poisonous!!

Getting the 20s? Think twice.  ;D

From ATC's product description: "ATC recommends amplifiers with at least 200W per channel of power. The Passive 20 loudspeaker enables ATC speaker fans to own a high performance monitor at half the price of the actives."

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2011, 02:50 »

Just heard a best sounding set up in JB few days ago , no the SCM 12 cant play as loud as bigger ATC or my old SCM 20/ 20T, not to mention the bigger brother like SCM 50/100 that I heard numeral time...but this set up just done the music so right, it sound really balance and correct for all music we play that night, the equipment used actually is nothing hi end, but it's the room , speaker positioning with correct setting make me really impressed of the sound, so far, this is the best ATC set up I have heard....it sound better than lot of $$$ hi end system IMHO.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 12:23 »
The SCM20 sold by jamesw is not SL spec-ed. The best value for money passive ATCs IMHO is the SCM19. It's using the same SL spec drivers as the 20 and has a higher efficiency than SCM20 (85db vs 83db) and that matters a lot for the amp you are using to drive it. The SL drivers are built like a tank and it's quite a bit better than the non-SL in terms of producing accurate bass.

And agreed with joamonte that once ATC is setup right, it can outperform many many systems out there. But to reach there, it could be a nightmare. It's been a roller coaster ride for me since day 1 I got the SCM19 cos the ATCs are so revealing of the changes I made, whether good or bad. I had many reversals of my mods and tweaks just to get the balance between musicality and transparency right.

joamonte, looking at the pics, the M40 looks like could be limiting the performance of the SCM20.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:34 by naimster »
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline ryder

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 13:07 »

Just heard a best sounding set up in JB few days ago , no the SCM 12 cant play as loud as bigger ATC or my old SCM 20/ 20T, not to mention the bigger brother like SCM 50/100 that I heard numeral time...but this set up just done the music so right, it sound really balance and correct for all music we play that night, the equipment used actually is nothing hi end, but it's the room , speaker positioning with correct setting make me really impressed of the sound, so far, this is the best ATC set up I have heard....it sound better than lot of $$$ hi end system IMHO.

What model of ATC speaker is that, and what amps were used to drive it? Thanks.

ps. The speakers were placed quite out into the room. Hence I presume the bass isn't too punchy or goes too low considering it's a small sealed box.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 13:10 by ryder »