Author Topic: ATC owners/potential owners thread  (Read 71527 times)

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
Re: ATC owners/potential owners thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 23:54 »
wah, your system changed a lot since then.

your room seems to have gotten smaller too  ;D

And more messy too.... ;D

Offline naimster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My system
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 00:00 »
ATC now makes their own tweeters too..about to be launched.

I had a chat with Billy Woodman too when he was in town last year. Aged quite a bit with a beer belly to boot. Otherwise still sharp and alert and remembers his technical stuff.

And yes, there's no reason to mod 'em...the crossovers in there are already high quality stuff.

I have a pair of SCM7 and I have spoken with Billy Woodman himself during my i-Audio days.  ;D I love my babies, since I upgraded them from a pair of HL-P3s. No, they are untouched (unmodded).
ATC build their own drivers except for the tweeters. ATC used to supply the 175 mids to PMC until the latter bought over the plans etc. However, the mids that ATC uses have a curved waveguide whist the other one has got straight sides. Proac uses drivers from anybody.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 00:03 »
Yes, ATC especially the older ones does seem to need a certain loudness to sound good but no need super loud dah.

In fact, the newer offerings like 11, 19 and 40 has higher sensitivity than the old ATCs (85db vs 83db) and I enjoy listening at soft volumes too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 00:17 by naimster »
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2010, 09:55 »
And more messy too.... ;D

what,... new equipement to play with?  :D

need some more 1st pressing CDs to load into your server?
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.

Offline lobster

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 14:02 »
if you think you've heard the best from your ATCs after 200hrs, wait till 500 hrs and you will be pleasantly surprised

How true! 

ATC speakers will reward one's patience  ;D

In 2007/08, I had a rotation policy for the 3 pairs of SCM12 - switched their duties between movie and music and after some many hours, they began to sound very good and have been like that since.

Cheers,

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2010, 17:35 »
Besides SQ, another thing I am impressed with ATC is their built quality. When I had the bookshelves SCM20, they were heavier than some of the floor standers I had. The SCM20 was about 23kg each! They'll probably still be in playing condtion long after my demise  ;D
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 09:29 »
Besides SQ, another thing I am impressed with ATC is their built quality. When I had the bookshelves SCM20, they were heavier than some of the floor standers I had. The SCM20 was about 23kg each! They'll probably still be in playing condtion long after my demise  ;D

Bro, they are heavy for a reason. ATC apply heavy bracing on their cabinets. See below and you'll know why they are so heavy. The designs are the opposite of Harbeth, whereby Harbeth cabinets are of lossy type and the vibration from the cabinets actually contribute quite a bit to the Harbeth sound. No right or wrong...just a different speaker design concept.

Of course....you know my preference.  ;D

http://www.mhennessy1.f9.co.uk/atc/index.htm

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 19:57 »
Yah bro my buddy told me long ago when he tried to sell me his SCM10, the bass driver alone weighs 10kg. Heavier than many bookshelves liao
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 10:42 »

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 11:07 »
Good technical writeup on ATC design objectives (page 4)...

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/downloads/CompanyProfile.pdf

ATC pays attention even to the phase response of the speakers (since the tweeters and main driver are not coming from a single point source) and has built in phase correction circuitry in their passive speakers to address this. For the actives, they are of course taken care of electronically. Brilliant stuff.

Offline j3294

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2010, 23:07 »
Anyone have heard ATC speakers driven by Primare amp, esp SCM19 with I30?

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 09:27 »
You have a Primare amp? The combo was highly rated in what hifi... But then again, take it with pinch of salt. All I can say is atc is a rather neutral speaker. Put in a warm sounding amp, you get warm sound. I have heard my 19 on a passlab and compared to my naims, it's so much different. One is warm laisback, while the other more forward.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/364020.aspx

Anyone have heard ATC speakers driven by Primare amp, esp SCM19 with I30?

Offline j3294

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 22:06 »
Yes, the i30, thanks for the link. Looking for matching speakers that can be placed close to front wall of smallish room without sacrificing base performance. Does the 19 still sound good at low volume?

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 22:42 »
Good enuf for me.

Offline naimster

• My system