Author Topic: ATC owners/potential owners thread  (Read 71665 times)

Offline naimster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My system
ATC owners/potential owners thread
« on: September 03, 2010, 13:18 »
From the postings, there doesn't seemed to be many ATC owners, be it their speakers or amps...thought this is one way I will have a good gauge of how popular are the ATCs here. I am using the SCM19 and the SCM50 actives are my "dream speakers".  ;D
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline lszomb

Re: ATC owners/potential owners thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 13:34 »
I have the lowest end one SCM7.   :)

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 13:54 »
Cool.

ATC speakers are designed to sound very similar all the way from their smallest to largest offerings, differing only in terms of scale and effortlessness.

Cheapest model for ATCs doesn't mean it sounds inferior than it's bigger brother like SCM11 or 19, it's just smaller sounding but still delivers excellent midrange with very good details. It's also as power hungry.  :P
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 15:12 by naimster »
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline lszomb

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 14:53 »
Wow bro, you let me feel so good even I just own the lowest end model.

For speakers, I can only say ATC is the one that fits my appetite, and moreover  it is quit "cheap" in the current hifi market.
I won't say ATC is good or maybe the best? But it really worth the money I paid for.

A lot of horrible stories about how ATC thirsty for the power. Personally, I found the new SCM entry series is very easy to drive and can deliver pleasant results with just a normal amplifier.

If you like the sound from the ATC just go for it :D.

Yeah, I have to say I feel itchier and itchier when I see the fatter and bigger ATC speakers and I need try my best to resist to the buy buy bug. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 15:23 by lszomb »

Offline aLKayeL

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 15:09 »
Wonder whats the price range for those ATC active speakers.
Consonance PW-3 | Marantz SA8400 | Behringer Ultracurve Pro DEQ2496 | Beresford Caiman | Dared MC-7P | Roksan Caspian M Series 1 Power Amp | Usher CP 6311

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 15:18 »
Actually, there's some truth in it....not that ATCs sounds bad with low power amplification. But it really sounds a whole lot better with higher amplification. So isn't it good to know that your speakers have a lot more room for improvement when you upgrade your front end and will not be a bottleneck?  ;D

The newer range are designed to be more "hifi" friendly and is indeed easier to drive.

A lot of horrible stories about how ATC thirsty for the power.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 15:31 »
Some ATC pics to whet your appetite... ;D

Look at the driver construction on the SCM20 and SCM19. It weighs 9kg.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 23:30 by naimster »

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 19:16 »
Another piece of advice to fellow ATC or potential users, if you think you've heard the best from your ATCs after 200hrs, wait till 500 hrs and you will be pleasantly surprised. Performance will go up another notch with deeper bass,  big soundstage and even better mids. I kid you not.... It does take that long to run in.

Offline ks

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 22:11 »
OT:
Is it ATC or PMC that makes drivers for Proac?
TT: Thorens 160Mk3 with Shure M97xe, Scout VPI with Ortofon 2M Blue
Phono amp: CA 640P, **shopping for one**
CDP: Consonance CD120 Linear
Amp: **shopping for one**
Spkrs: Harbeth M20/M30

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 22:19 »
I have a pair of SCM7 and I have spoken with Billy Woodman himself during my i-Audio days.  ;D I love my babies, since I upgraded them from a pair of HL-P3s. No, they are untouched (unmodded).
ATC build their own drivers except for the tweeters. ATC used to supply the 175 mids to PMC until the latter bought over the plans etc. However, the mids that ATC uses have a curved waveguide whist the other one has got straight sides. Proac uses drivers from anybody.
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Dual AK4495 DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/ TPA 3255 power amplifier
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Modded ATC SCM-7/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline lobster

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 22:36 »
I own the following ATC speakers from the previous generation:

Bookshelf:

SCM12 - 3 pairs
SCM7  - 1 pair

Centre:

C3C - 1 unit
C1C - 1 unit

I started with SCM7 in 2003. 

I drive SCM12 with Densen DM-10 in 2-channel setup. 

For HT, LR are SCM12; centre is C3C.

One day, when there is $$$, can aim for the higher models  ;D

Cheers,

Offline tky

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 23:31 »
Hehe. I think if you own a Merc, even entry model, it's a Merc.  ATC makes good speakers.  Personally I'm very tempted but pocket not deep enough. 

Wow bro, you let me feel so good even I just own the lowest end model.

For speakers, I can only say ATC is the one that fits my appetite, and moreover  it is quit "cheap" in the current hifi market.
I won't say ATC is good or maybe the best? But it really worth the money I paid for.

A lot of horrible stories about how ATC thirsty for the power. Personally, I found the new SCM entry series is very easy to drive and can deliver pleasant results with just a normal amplifier.

If you like the sound from the ATC just go for it :D.

Yeah, I have to say I feel itchier and itchier when I see the fatter and bigger ATC speakers and I need try my best to resist to the buy buy bug. 

Bryston BCD-1 / YBA P200 / Harbeth M30

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 23:44 »
Used to own a few pair of ATC many years ago...

SCM 20T

SCM 20 and SCM 10(use as center speaker in  the photo)

Still can remember how well it handle most of the music, from Classical to Pop to Jazz all no problem......but only problem is it need to play quite loud to enjoy it...

:)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 23:52 by joamonte »

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 23:50 »
Used to own a few pair of ATC many years ago...

SCM 20T

wah, your system changed a lot since then.

your room seems to have gotten smaller too  ;D
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.

Offline lszomb

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 23:52 »
yeah, very true. ATC speakers are different from others..needs to play loudly to enjoy it.