Author Topic: Plinius owners/potential owners thread (warning included!)  (Read 62999 times)

francis woo

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Plinius owners/potential owners thread (warning included!)
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 10:35 »
What if the company so call authorize Plinius dealer goes down under and declare out of business and start clearing their stock to recover their losses. Will they actually blacklist them?

I would on a business stand point.  I will definitely not allow a long term dealer who buys the products from me on credit terms, take a huge stock from me, sell them in the grey market at a steep discount, declares a bankcrupt and walks away without compensating me!!.... :P

It not only tarnishes my name in the market, it also makes a mockery of my business dealings with the current dealers and legitimate buyers who trusted the pricing and service standard provided and who, are now feeling short changed!!... :P

'Caveat Emptor'.... 8)

Just want to add that this goes for all products.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:49 by francis woo »

Offline Heckler

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 11:18 »
Ohh, ya btw I do come to know as well, even to a extend that if "these" plinius have been purchased by someone before that particular dealer/shop have been "terminated or so called close down" even its within the warranty period.. Plinius should have honor the warranty if something goes wrong..

But if someone still want to proceed with their purchase from "that company" that he /she knows it already been "terminated/close shop"!!! couse of the price and neglected the warranty clause..then also nothing to say to him/her!!! (GAI SHI) <== in mandarin, so this is to tell that all bro's here..do not purchase anything when the principal brand already announce those "lapse warranty? status to those units.. :)

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010, 11:50 »
btw, how are the serial numbers tagged on the units?

just a strip of paper pasted at the back panel?
can unscrupulous local distributors buy up these units (at a huge discounts) and then stick on "legitimate" serial numbers?
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.

Offline Heckler

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010, 12:01 »
I do not think are those stick serial no.. etched?? need to ask plinius dealer to show a ex here liao...Strip paper and stick on the back?? I think wont leh..

btw, how are the serial numbers tagged on the units?

just a strip of paper pasted at the back panel?
can unscrupulous local distributors buy up these units (at a huge discounts) and then stick on "legitimate" serial numbers?

Offline dynaudio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010, 16:36 »
I do not think are those stick serial no.. etched?? need to ask plinius dealer to show a ex here liao...Strip paper and stick on the back?? I think wont leh..

Below is one of the serial number taken from an integrated amplifier. The sticker is hard to remove, once remove the sticker will be damage.

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13 »

Below is one of the serial number taken from an integrated amplifier. The sticker is hard to remove, once remove the sticker will be damage.

just a tiny piece of paper...!!!

how a potential buyer can know if the seller (local or foreign) didn't paste a new serial number over it???

better avoid this brand for now.
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.

Offline clitang

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 10:40 »

how a potential buyer can know if the seller (local or foreign) didn't paste a new serial number over it???

Agreed. Plinius has lost a lot exsiting cusomters and future customers...

One of them is ME.

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 10:48 »

Noting that you are also a regular of that shop, it doesn't really matter, only folks with their hands in the cookie jar will be complaining that their cheap cookie are lousy now  ;D

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hirez&n=265888&highlight=jeromelang&r=
Listen to ~MOVIOLA~Movie themes, and ILLUMINATIONS~Relaxation

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51 »
Agreed. Plinius has lost a lot exsiting cusomters and future customers...

One of them is ME.

Did you buy from the grey market, if so, it won't be surprising you are making so much noise now  ;D

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 16:44 »
Noting that you are also a regular of that shop, it doesn't really matter, only folks with their hands in the cookie jar will be complaining that their cheap cookie are lousy now  ;D

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hirez&n=265888&highlight=jeromelang&r=

can you explain why you anyhow pull an unrelated thread from AA to post here?
what has me not buying the MPS5 from jun hang got anything to do with this poor customer service issue from plinius?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 18:59 by jeromelang »

Offline dsj88

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 17:52 »
I don't work for Plinius either but my experience with an international distribution model is that sometimes, a manufacturer has to have tiered pricing to suit different buying power in the countries they sell in. Eg companies routinely price the same product lower in India for Instance. As long as the product remains in India, even if there is a change in distributors, the original manufacturer continues to provide warranty.

However, I've also frequently encountered cases where new products are routinely shipped across borders to another country for higher profits. Its disingenuous and abuses the terms of the original contract. In such cases, once the distributor is tracked down, they are usually dropped and the affected serial numbers are made known especially to service and support depots.

So to comment on jeromelang's point, if you are a legitimate expat, you have nothing to worry about. Your serial number isn't one of those affected.
But KEC ships to Australia where they have distributors and non of the manufacturers gave a s**t although the distributors there have complained. Denon for eg is  30% to 40% less shipped from Singapore than buying in Aus from the distributors

Offline jimi

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 18:29 »
Did you buy from the grey market, if so, it won't be surprising you are making so much noise now  ;D

Hotbird, you're making some pretty mean spirited comments. Why not leave it to PMs if its personal or not utter it at all if it does no one any good?  :-X
You're well known to be a knowledgeable music lover more than a fighter so why the inflammatory comments?  :)
Austrich was still interested in meeting up with you regarding previous upsets, I remember he was muttering about finding your IP address last time  ;)

The reality of it is that the discount may not have been fantastic like 30-40% but it was enough to make economically-thinking bros to part with their cash in good faith that warranty claims could still be made in the country of origin though less convenient. Had they been allowed to make an informed decision, their choice may have been different.

Singapore dealer mark ups can be high and in some cases almost unreasonable so cannot blame bros for  trying to source cheaper alternatives. Of course some allowance has be be made for comparitively lower sales and/ or higher other costs borne by the shops here, but I don't understand why some brands can do it whereas others have to mark up 30% more  ???

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 19:28 »
can you explain why you anyhow pull an unrelated thread from AA to post here?
what has me not buying the MPS5 from jun hang got anything to do with this poor customer service issue from plinius?

Of course it has something to do. It's called an interested party giving one-sided comments siding grey marketeers  :D

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 19:39 »
Hotbird, you're making some pretty mean spirited comments. Why not leave it to PMs if its personal or not utter it at all if it does no one any good?  :-X
You're well known to be a knowledgeable music lover more than a fighter so why the inflammatory comments?  :)
Austrich was still interested in meeting up with you regarding previous upsets, I remember he was muttering about finding your IP address last time  ;)

Well, I've been pm-ed by others telling me why clitang behaved this way, and I've also apologized when i mistook ctang for clitang.
So someone bought from a grey dealer and got burned by the new Plinius directives, it was plainly an eye wide shut decision which he's paying the price now, so the circumstances has to be explained why his ferocity at attacking Plinius, a brand which I bought before from the previous distributor some 7 yrs back.

The reality of it is that the discount may not have been fantastic like 30-40% but it was enough to make economically-thinking bros to part with their cash in good faith that warranty claims could still be made in the country of origin though less convenient. Had they been allowed to make an informed decision, their choice may have been different.
Singapore dealer mark ups can be high and in some cases almost unreasonable so cannot blame bros for  trying to source cheaper alternatives. Of course some allowance has be be made for comparitively lower sales and/ or higher other costs borne by the shops here, but I don't understand why some brands can do it whereas others have to mark up 30% more  ???

A grey dealer is a grey dealer, why would a manufacturer support it and hurt is legal marketing channels, of course there is always a risk. Note that other big brands have deserted it for the same reasons

Offline hotbird

• I love ~Moviola~
    • ~Moviola~
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 19:43 »
But KEC ships to Australia where they have distributors and non of the manufacturers gave a s**t although the distributors there have complained. Denon for eg is  30% to 40% less shipped from Singapore than buying in Aus from the distributors

Well different manufacturers different strokes....ask KEC to ship some fiercely protective brands like B&W and SVS and see whether they get black marked and penalised  ;D