Author Topic: Plinius owners/potential owners thread (warning included!)  (Read 63083 times)

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
I am a Plinius owner and supporter (firm believer of their power amplifiers) and thought to setup a thread on it, but my first post is going to be a sombre one.

Lately there have been some shops selling the units at attractive prices and as a consumer (honestly I had been very tempted at the prices!) I had done some research into them. Turns out that some of these products are not supported by Plinius.. not just from local distributor but from factory. I take it to mean that these products are not supported not just for warranty, but for servicing as well. If something goes on, you are on your own.

Of course there may be people who can help service but with such delicate electronics I am wondering if the sound will be the same again as the parts will likely not be identical.

Thought to highlight this for anyone looking to buy. The blacklisted units (serial numbers) are listed on Plinius website and this is a good reference, even for those of you looking to buy 2nd hand.. always good to check if you are buying what you think you are getting.

As there has been some confusion of this policy, I'd like to clarify what I know so far:

1. the manufacturer is not cutting off all PI goods. if u bought your plinius overseas and brought it here, the manufacturer will still service if i am not wrong. i am not sure about the local distributor's policy though.
2. the manufacturer is only cutting off certain items from service. nobody knows why or where these goods came from.

this thread was created more as a informative thread, so you can make an informed decision if you decide to buy from grey market or 2nd hand in the future and look out for the serial numbers listed.

http://www.pliniusaudio.nzld.com/disclaimer.asp

Quote from the website: PLINIUS has terminated the product warranty of the above mentioned products and therefore it will not accept any request for after sales service as well as support for component parts. All authorised distributors and dealers worldwide have been notified on the presence of these unauthorised products and advised to reject any request for after sales service with immediate effect.

As such, PLINIUS would like to take this opportunity to remind and alert dealers and customers alike to the existence of these un-authorised products.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:54 by Quest »

Offline dynaudio

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Consequence Ultimate
Re: Plinius owners/potential owners thread (warning included!)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 18:30 »
Bro Quest, thanks for the posting.  :D

I was about to post the details on it but you're faster than me.  ;D Below is the details extracted out from Plinius website.

VALUED PLINIUS CUSTOMERS
BUY PLINIUS ONLY FROM AUTHORISED DEALERS

PRODUCT ALERT

PLINIUS has designed wonderful sound since 1980. At PLINIUS our reputation has been built on music first and foremost. From a lightness of touch in the high frequencies to tuneful, tight and profound bass, PLINIUS delivers the spine-tingling realism and emotional engagement that earn respect of music connoisseurs the world over.

Today, with its presence and passionate following across 35 countries around the world, PLINIUS has established a global reputation based on amplification of outstanding quality that represents the very pinnacle of technology's ability to communicate the heart of music. At PLINIUS, we are committed to excellence in every aspect of our business including but not limited to experience faultless service and complete satisfaction from initial contact through to delivery and beyond.

In recent days, it has come to our attention that several PLINIUS products are being offered on the internet also from unauthorised retailers or by unauthorised and unscrupulous individuals. PLINIUS has identified these products and are listed below.

PRODUCT DETAILS SERIAL No.

PLINIUS M8 Preamplifier/Silver: 5715, 5716

PLINIUS Tautoro Stereo Preamplifier/Silver: 5771, 5772

PLINIUS 9100 Integrated Amplifier/Silver: 5728, 5691, 5689, 5725, 5732, 5720, 5690, 5730, 5721, 5723, 5719, 5722, 5692, 5693, 5718, 5727, 5726, 5731, 5724, 5729, 5733, 5734

PLINIUS Hiato Integrated Amplifier/Silver: 5735, 5736, 5737

PLINIUS SB-301 Amplifier/Silver: 5744, 5745, 5746, 5756, 5773

PLINIUS SA-103 Amplifier/Silver: 5703, 5774

PLINIUS SA-Reference Amplifier/Silver: 5738(180), 5739(182), 5740(183)

PLINIUS has terminated the product warranty of the above mentioned products and therefore it will not accept any request for after sales service as well as support for component parts. All authorised distributors and dealers worldwide have been notified on the presence of these unauthorised products and advised to reject any request for after sales service with immediate effect.

As such, PLINIUS would like to take this opportunity to remind and alert dealers and customers alike to the existence of these un-authorised products.

PLINIUS regrets that it is necessary to take these preventive measures in order to protect the interest of PLINIUS dealers and loyal customers and to reinforce its High End brand reputation.

Should you have further questions and doubts, please contact your nearest distributor.

Offline jonlee

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 18:36 »
Just curious...unless there are proof that the units have been illegally modified, why Plinius factory want to void all responsibilities, even if they are being sold by parallel importer?

Offline dXter

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 20:46 »
Any idea why these serials only? Stolen from factory?

Offline dynaudio

• Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 22:58 »
@jonlee:

Plinius wanted to assured all distributors & end users that they won't support grey market products which were purchased from unauthorized distributor or appointed dealer.

@dxter:

We wasn't told whether the products are stolen or not, we just find find that there local dealer selling them online and causing some confusion on our customers. Some of you might know who if you surf some online site. They are telling customers that the equipments are warranty by the factory and are selling way below standard retail price. >:(  The serial numbers are those from grey market and it's located in certain countries worldwide. :(

Offline jonlee

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 23:23 »
I can understand factory wanting to protect their dealers...but if the parallel importers are selling official goods, no reason for factory not to warrant those goods as those goods are still sold by factory to someone, unless they were stolen.

It is just like parallel importer cars.  If there is a recall, the factory will still support the parallel imported cars.

Offline dynaudio

• Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 23:39 »
I can understand factory wanting to protect their dealers...but if the parallel importers are selling official goods, no reason for factory not to warrant those goods as those goods are still sold by factory to someone, unless they were stolen.

It is just like parallel importer cars.  If there is a recall, the factory will still support the parallel imported cars.

Haha..I don't know why they set this rules but end of the day it's their decisions. Bro John you email them lah ;D ;D

Parellel import cars I don't know leh coz I dont drive. Hahaha..Just kidding!

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:36 »
While I can understand the PI analogy, I would think we will never know the full picture. Somehow I doubt it is obtaining from a authorised dealer overseas and just importing (like PI cars).

Obviously the problem is not that widespread and there are only a hand full of affected serial numbers for a world-wide product. This issue never came up until recently and I am sure with various forums and audiogon that some cross-market sales has been occuring until now. I can only speculate about why these few listed products...

This being the case we just have to be aware of the policy and make an informed decision.

Of course, I do not think this is the best solution. End of the day consumer like us are the one that bears the brunt of such policy, esp if we had been misrepresented and sold a product listed here and are caught out.

Offline wwenze

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:58 »
How did they know the serial no.

They sold the bad products themselves issit?
Layman solutions to engineering problems don't exist.

Layman solutions that claim to solve problems in exchange for your money do.

Offline dynaudio

• Consequence Ultimate
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 08:03 »
How did they know the serial no.

They sold the bad products themselves issit?

The serial numbers were tracked down by various affected distributors.

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15 »
looking at those serial numbers, it seems that it involves a lot of sets....
almost a whole year's worth of sales units.
also looking what's alreday mentioned - a certain distributor in neighbouring country must have had some dispute with the manufacturer.
they are just seeking to liquidate their holding stocks at very good discounts.
make no mistakes - these are genuine stuff directly imported from the factory, or otherwise, how does factory know their serial numbers?
if they are genuine stuff, then one should feel safe to buy.
the local distributor is trying to scare off potential buyers by saying "...in case of breakdown,....you're on yor own!...."
really? plinius so easy spoilt meh??? in that case, even local distributor's sets must be suspect too!
frankly speaking, find it very disgusting that local distributor is having suck kind of attitude over genuine factory products bought from outside of SG.
what if expats brought their existing sets from their own country while working here, and then the set spoilt?
the local distributor don't want to service, or charge extortion money?
or what if some expats decides to buy the set from you? they cannot set service from the distributor in their own country? your set's resale value goes down...
this kind of lousy, protectionist attitude towards service should never be allowed. sucks big time.
the factory should make sure distributors honor their committments to their customers regardless of where the products were bought from.
otherwise this brand should be ignored altogether.
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.

Offline jonlee

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 10:46 »
also looking what's alreday mentioned - a certain distributor in neighbouring country must have had some dispute with the manufacturer.
make no mistakes - these are genuine stuff directly imported from the factory, or otherwise, how does factory know their serial numbers?
I also think this is the case.  Previous dealer loosing his dealership on the product, thus clearing stock.  It has also happen in SG before (not Plinius product).

the local distributor is trying to scare off potential buyers by saying "...in case of breakdown,....you're on yor own!...."
really? plinius so easy spoilt meh??? in that case, even local distributor's sets must be suspect too!
frankly speaking, find it very disgusting that local distributor is having suck kind of attitude over genuine factory products bought from outside of SG.
what if expats brought their existing sets from their own country while working here, and then the set spoilt?
Bro, the disclaimer is from Plinius factory.  Not from the local dealer.  It is the factory that is trying to discourage the purchase of such products.

I am an ex-plinius owner who bought from the previous SG dealer (the one at aldephi basement).  When my plinius kaput just after warranty, dynaudio had become the new SG dealer.  Even though it was out of warranty, but as the repair was not major,  dynaudio did the repair for me FOC.  Where to find such good services! ;D *thumbsup*

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 10:59 »
I don't work for Plinius either but my experience with an international distribution model is that sometimes, a manufacturer has to have tiered pricing to suit different buying power in the countries they sell in. Eg companies routinely price the same product lower in India for Instance. As long as the product remains in India, even if there is a change in distributors, the original manufacturer continues to provide warranty.

However, I've also frequently encountered cases where new products are routinely shipped across borders to another country for higher profits. Its disingenuous and abuses the terms of the original contract. In such cases, once the distributor is tracked down, they are usually dropped and the affected serial numbers are made known especially to service and support depots.

So to comment on jeromelang's point, if you are a legitimate expat, you have nothing to worry about. Your serial number isn't one of those affected.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jimi

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 11:02 »

It is just like parallel importer cars.  If there is a recall, the factory will still support the parallel imported cars.

While I can understand the PI analogy, I would think we will never know the full picture. Somehow I doubt it is obtaining from a authorised dealer overseas and just importing (like PI cars).

Obviously the problem is not that widespread and there are only a hand full of affected serial numbers for a world-wide product. This issue never came up until recently and I am sure with various forums and audiogon that some cross-market sales has been occuring until now. I can only speculate about why these few listed products...

This being the case we just have to be aware of the policy and make an informed decision.

Of course, I do not think this is the best solution. End of the day consumer like us are the one that bears the brunt of such policy, esp if we had been misrepresented and sold a product listed here and are caught out.

+1

Anything which shakes consumer confidence can only be a bad thing.

Imagine the numbers of Plinius owners scrabbling to check their serial numbers  ::)

By voiding the warranty on these equipments which seem to have come from the factory, they are alienating a large section of some of their biggest fan base- their existing customers- and damaging the confidence of their potential customers.

The customer is innocent in this fiasco, but they are being made to pay the price for being deceived by whoever is this unscrupulous distributor- who is getting off v lightly.
I also think this is the case.  Previous dealer loosing his dealership on the product, thus clearing stock.  It has also happen in SG before (not Plinius product).
Bro, the disclaimer is from Plinius factory.  Not from the local dealer.  It is the factory that is trying to discourage the purchase of such products.

I am an ex-plinius owner who bought from the previous SG dealer (the one at aldephi basement).  When my plinius kaput just after warranty, dynaudio had become the new SG dealer.  Even though it was out of warranty, but as the repair was not major,  dynaudio did the repair for me FOC.  Where to find such good services! ;D *thumbsup*

Then the manufacturer should offer to buy back the product at a reasonable price to avoid this rubbish from happening.

+1 for dynaudio Sg definitely.

Offline clitang

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 17:38 »
or what if some expats decides to buy the set from you? they cannot set service from the distributor in their own country? your set's resale value goes down...
this kind of lousy, protectionist attitude towards service should never be allowed. sucks big time.
the factory should make sure distributors honor their committments to their customers regardless of where the products were bought from.
otherwise this brand should be ignored altogether.

Totally agreed on the above points.

I am Plinius supporter for the past 6 years. Very happy with the performance. However, base on this incident. I have totally lost confidence of this product.

Imagine you have paid for this expensive equipment, just that you did not purchase it from the local dealer but get from some parallel importers or dealers from neighbor countries. Next thing you  know is that Plinius is telling the whole world that your equipment are not purchased from a local dealer so the warranty is void and it will not be supported by the manufacturer at all and please FO.

What the Fxxk.

I understand and can accept that the local dealer will not honor any warranty or provide any service to any equipment that are not purchased from them. This is very common and happen everywhere. I have seen several advertisement  on the paper or Hifi mag mentioning such cases. But at least the onwer can bring it back to the original dealer who he/she pruchased from to ask them to honor the warranty or provide the any service required.

This is a first time I have seen such thing happen. Plinius has sold the equipment to some dealers and Plinius has collected the money and make the profit. Now they are telling you to Fxxk off because you purchased your Plinius equipment from some parallel importers or not from the local dealers.

I am sure the local dealer in every countries do sell their to product to oversea customers which not under their territory.  I have seen local dealer selling their equipment to Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Middle East, China, Australia etc…Then all these equipment should not be supported by any dealer or the manufacturer at all.

I am out, I give up on Plinius. I will not buy any Plinius equipment in the future whenever possible. You have lost one customer.

Thank you for your support for the past 6 years