Author Topic: JBL Owner's Thread  (Read 28170 times)

Offline tky

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: JBL Owner's Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2013, 23:04 »
Using Jbl4429 with my naims. These speakers can rock out loud!!
AS - mind if I ask which naim power amp is driving the 4429? Is it a difficult load from your experiences. I have taken an interest in JBL off late and wanted to find out more.
Thanks!
Bryston BCD-1 / YBA P200 / Harbeth M30

Offline joamonte

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • audiophile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 11:24 »
My TAD 4001 driver and 1601a woofer are design by a few top ex JBL engineer....so maybe I can consider as 1/2 JBL owner too... ;D

But due to the wood horn and 4" BE driver, its sound is differet from JBL older 4XXX metal horn or current 4XXX plastic horn .....welcome all JBL fan to come and have a listen.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:28 by joamonte »

Offline james46

• Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 12:49 »
Funny thing I work in Hwee Seng for many years and we use to distribute JBL among many other brands. The untold secret is we push and sell lots of JBL stuffs but among our staff I cannot figure a single one that is a die hard JBL fan. The speaker is loud and boomy. We call it junk but loud. :)

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 15:44 »
Bro just curious did Hwee Seng sold lot of 4xxx monitor is Sg?

Offline james46

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 15:50 »
Many many  monitor series from 4350 to 4301. Some k series everest also. And lots of HT junks

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 18:58 »
Wonder where does all this many many 4xxx monitor went to....not many of the audiophile in SG I met using JBL that is a fact.

Offline element5

• Trade Count: (+6)
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2013, 22:53 »
I have a pair of harbeth c7es3 (cherry).  I am willing to trade it with a nice pair of 43/44.  can top up.  i just like the boomy and lound sound
looking for more exciting hifi products, go to http://www.lazada.sg/sincere-2006/

Offline Charcoal

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2013, 23:25 »
I think there are big JBL users hiding somewhere out there and would be good if there is a chance to visit them !

Offline james46

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 12:48 »
People who buy JBL are not crazy audiophile like you and me.  The owners are people who buy on reputation of the brand. So being not audiophiles they dont frequent our regular hangouts and they dont change equipment so often.

Offline AKY

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 21:39 »
People who buy JBL are not crazy audiophile like you and me.  The owners are people who buy on reputation of the brand. So being not audiophiles they dont frequent our regular hangouts and they dont change equipment so often.

I disagree on your statement that buyers of JBL "are people who buy on reputation of the brand"

There are things that JBLs can do exceptionally well, especially those equipped with 15 inch woofers that so called audiophile speakers can't do

JBLs may not possess the ability to image nor have the resolution of the typical audiophile speakers. But it can play realistically loud without distortion, excellent PRAT factor and sound MUCH closer to live music. These abilities partially explains the longevity of the brand 

Offline Jagdpanzer

• HT & Audio
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 21:55 »
My dream speaker is the JBL Synthesis Everest series.
I heard it with FM Acoustics in Absolute Sound (not a JBL dealer!)  room during the hi-end show two years ago and the performance was fabulous.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 21:59 by Jagdpanzer »

Offline soulhock

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36 »
I disagree on your statement that buyers of JBL "are people who buy on reputation of the brand"

There are things that JBLs can do exceptionally well, especially those equipped with 15 inch woofers that so called audiophile speakers can't do

JBLs may not possess the ability to image nor have the resolution of the typical audiophile speakers. But it can play realistically loud without distortion, excellent PRAT factor and sound MUCH closer to live music. These abilities partially explains the longevity of the brand 

I Second that Emotion. Fully agree .

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 12:19 »

IMHO, "audiophile" can be anyone that put attention to the audio hardware they purchase , and willing to spend more than average money on those hardware....

I think JBL owner are audiophile too, hardcore or not is another thing.

.....but it apply to all other brand like B&W, Wilson, Avalon, Marten, Magico too, many ppls buy those speaker just because it look nice and branded, very often we see them place the speaker in their living room beside the TV console and leave as it is, without further consider about speaker placement , equipment / cable matching, room acoustic, isolation......etc etc.....I will say those ppls are audiophile too, but its just that they arenot hardcore enough.

On the other hand, we also see some JBL owner set up really hardcore , for example, one of our member Mr T is using FM power amp to drive his 4355, before that from what I know he have been using modern "audiophile" speaker like von schweikert, Ariel, Genesis and many years ago Yamaha NS1000 before , now he settle with JBL 4355 and according to him this could be his end of speaker searching...I have yet to visit his system but I sure it will sound amazingly good from a few past good listening experience of other's JBL set up (yes there are quite a few of JBL set up sound crap too)

...so IMO do not under estimate JBL, it have be in the industry longer than the age of many audiophile, it is just that nowsaday they are not as hardcore as the 40's -70's ....

... For example, their modern plastic horn sound is "good" but not "great" compare to their older days metal horn IMHO..  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:22 by joamonte »

Offline joamonte

• audiophile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 12:37 »
One more interesting story... There use to be someone claim that US speaker can be catalog as " west coast sound " and " east coast sound" when I just started hifi hobby in 80's.

West coast sound refering to JBL , Altec etc..

East coast sound refer to AR ....

But now AR are gone, altec selling computer speaker and JBL become more of Westcoast hybid Japanese sound because of huge markert in the Far east....

I still prefer the older 4xxx than the current model, 66000 is great speaker but it just lack some "JBL characteristic" of the 40- 80's flagship model ....those are seriously colorated speaker but it is also so "Raw" and "Man".. ;D

Offline dankaz97

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 23:38 »
Hi Joamonte, my amps are not here yet....Still ampless for few weeks. Well, the pieces should fall into place soon.... btw dont know how to post pics as dont post much. it's quite true that some jbl owners dont frequent forums much...maybe just read & nothing much to post...i do know a few who fits that. Will try to post once my jigsaw puzzle is done.
Btw something interesting to read http://www.jblproservice.com/general_faq.htm
Cheers