Author Topic: ahhhhhhh......durians  (Read 274724 times)

Offline chanfm

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: ahhhhhhh......durians
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 15:52 »
New Paper reports that 818 Durian Stall is at 201 Telok Kurau Road.

Offline meatballz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 16:27 »
腾腾转菊花囤,炒米饼罗米囤, 啊妈叫我睇龙船,我唔睇睇鸡仔, 鸡仔大,拿去买,买到几多钱.奸人堅

Offline vieri

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 16:49 »
New Paper reports that 818 Durian Stall is at 201 Telok Kurau Road.

Theyre selling the Cat Mountain King variety for S$25/ per kg......crazy prices.

Vieri
Let my people go!!!!!

Offline chanfm

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 18:25 »
Theyre selling the Cat Mountain King variety for S$25/ per kg......crazy prices.

Vieri

Huh?  New Paper quotes them as saying they sell at $16 per kg. Already slightly higher than normal.

Offline vieri

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 09:49 »
I was there personally a few days ago & the price puts me off. Am also aware some Balestier & geylang stalls are selling Mou San Wang durians at $22/kg.

Vieri
Let my people go!!!!!

Offline SC

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 10:01 »
try Hock at 91461192 - Bought twice this season. Mao Shang Wang around $12-13/kg while Golden Phoenix around $12/kg. His shop is next to Two Chefs Zi Char at Blk 116 Commonwealth Drive. Found him to be an honest bloke and you can leave your contact so that he will contact you when there is good durians.

Also, just to side track on durians for those who are into durian ice cream, I found the durian ice cream at Majestic Restaurant to be excellent. So far, I have found this to be the best durian ice cream in Singapore. The Majestic branch Jing at Fullerton doesn't do it as well as Majestic.
Pioneer PDP507XG, Hsu Research VTF3R, PS3, Oppo BDP93, Onkyo 809, Epson TW6700, Cyrus Screen, Sony BDP 370, Waterfall Elora, Earthquake In-ceiling surrounds

Offline chanfm

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 11:58 »
try Hock at 91461192 - Bought twice this season. Mao Shang Wang around $12-13/kg while Golden Phoenix around $12/kg. His shop is next to Two Chefs Zi Char at Blk 116 Commonwealth Drive. Found him to be an honest bloke and you can leave your contact so that he will contact you when there is good durians.

Thanks for the info.  Will certainly try him.

Offline meatballz

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2010, 13:29 »

Thanks for the info.  Will certainly try him.

o my goodness you want to "try him." in other words you want to have sex with a durian man.

;D
腾腾转菊花囤,炒米饼罗米囤, 啊妈叫我睇龙船,我唔睇睇鸡仔, 鸡仔大,拿去买,买到几多钱.奸人堅

Offline jimi

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 13:37 »

Also, just to side track on durians for those who are into durian ice cream, I found the durian ice cream at Majestic Restaurant to be excellent. So far, I have found this to be the best durian ice cream in Singapore. The Majestic branch Jing at Fullerton doesn't do it as well as Majestic.

Bro, what do u think of the Mao Shan Wong ice cream at Udders?

Also the Peramakan (sp?) restaurant at Keppel Club does some pretty good durian puffs (off menu).

Offline SC

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 16:54 »
Bro, haven't tried Udders. I get my fix of ice cream puff, cakes, etc at tanglin Club. Hmmm must try Udders ;D
Pioneer PDP507XG, Hsu Research VTF3R, PS3, Oppo BDP93, Onkyo 809, Epson TW6700, Cyrus Screen, Sony BDP 370, Waterfall Elora, Earthquake In-ceiling surrounds

Offline SC

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 16:58 »
To clarify, the durian ice cream at Majestic is fried durian ice cream.

Offline jimi

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2010, 17:14 »
To clarify, the durian ice cream at Majestic is fried durian ice cream.

Ah, how is it presented? Frozen with panko flakes on the outside then fried?

Offline chanfm

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2010, 17:30 »
o my goodness you want to "try him." in other words you want to have sex with a durian man.

;D

Bro, I am still trying to wrap my head around that thought... ;D

Offline SC

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2010, 17:36 »
Ah, how is it presented? Frozen with panko flakes on the outside then fried?

Frozen with a very thin layer of flour (I think). Can't quite figure it out but its not the thick layer of flour that you find in other restaurants. They also add a mango sauce on the side. See the picture here as I am no cook. http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/none/5-singapore-musteat-foods-028722

Description here from CNN.

Fried durian ice cream
I’ll admit that eating this dish takes a little bit of courage. After all, to the uninitiated, durian, Singapore’s favorite fruit, smells like old, dirty sweatsocks stuffed with garlic. Nonetheless, Singaporeans are as passionate about their durian as Frenchmen are for stinky cheese. Chef Yong Bing Ngen has created what many consider to be the best durian dessert on the island. The secret behind Chef Yong’s fried durian ice cream is that it’s not really ice cream. Because the flesh of the fruit is so naturally creamy, the talented cook found that if he froze it, then quickly battered it and deep-fried it, the resulting texture was something akin to ice cream. Durian lovers have been known to swoon when tasting this delightful hot and cold dessert.

Majestic Restaurant
New Majestic Hotel, 31-37 Bukit Pasoh Road, Singapore. tel +65 6511 4718.

Read more: 5 Singapore must-eat foods | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/none/5-singapore-musteat-foods-028722#ixzz0tpv8D4nw

Offline jimi

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2010, 21:02 »
Curious, sounds quite easy. So the filling is just frozen normal durian. Seems a bit of cheat  :P :P