Author Topic: are there nottingham analogue owners here?  (Read 14758 times)

Offline malsound

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: are there nottingham analogue owners here?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2010, 17:41 »
leafing through the site kinda gives me the impression that fletcher was elbowed out of nottingham analogue,but his designs look promising as per the comments

I already make up my mind what made my second TT will be. ;)

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE

https://youtu.be/FELbmXdS4xM

Offline ...

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 11:05 »

I already make up my mind what made my second TT will be. ;)

and what would that b?
The best

Offline malsound

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 16:51 »
and what would that b?
If you have own NAS long enough like me and like what the notts(second notts already) can do,
You will have total faith in the man, he is a genius and from what I gather from his web video,
he is on to something.

Offline ...

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 08:43 »
If you have own NAS long enough like me and like what the notts(second notts already) can do,
You will have total faith in the man, he is a genius and from what I gather from his web video,
he is on to something.

which nott do you own?can't help but wonder what the $ of the new tt would be
The best

Offline ...

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 08:51 »
any tips on slotting in a vta adjuster to the moerch arm? would the sound suffer?
The best

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 09:04 »
he is on to something.

Keep an open mind on TT makes. There are many good brands out there that suit any budget. Tom Fletcher designed tables have their own  sound, and so do Roksans, Origin Live and Mitchells. These are all venerable british made tables that do the PRaT thing in varying degress of greatness with some compromise on scale, dynamics and imaging.

Throw in the many arms available and even more carts, and we have an infinite ability to tune a table to our respective tastes. I have been fortunate enough to listen to many TT setups. All are good or very good, but they are different from each other and it came down to personal taste. 

Offline ...

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 09:43 »
Keep an open mind on TT makes. There are many good brands out there that suit any budget. Tom Fletcher designed tables have their own  sound, and so do Roksans, Origin Live and Mitchells. These are all venerable british made tables that do the PRaT thing in varying degress of greatness with some compromise on scale, dynamics and imaging.

Throw in the many arms available and even more carts, and we have an infinite ability to tune a table to our respective tastes. I have been fortunate enough to listen to many TT setups. All are good or very good, but they are different from each other and it came down to personal taste.  
it all comes down to one's disposition:whether the music is in service of the vehicle that reproduces it or vice versa. it should also come to if the playback rig serves the listener or the listener is a slave to his equipment(endless upgrades,tweakings)

that said, i'm also amenable to tweaks,but cautious,as  most tweaks effect improvements in certain areas while exhibiting new inadequacies in other departments. personally,when i find a sound/brand i like, i would keep those components for a long time ;)

how do you find the xx2 mkii?is it as dynamic as te 17d3? asking as i will be getting one soon ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 10:01 by ... »
The best

Offline blue_starfish

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 12:05 »
how do you find the xx2 mkii?is it as dynamic as te 17d3? asking as i will be getting one soon ;D

Never owned a 17d3 before. But from the few 17d3 i have listened to, the XX2 Mk 2 in comparison is a lot more well rounded in its strengths, Dynamic with great bass ... not just fast. A great cart at around S$2k.. It is VTA sensitive so take time to tune the VTA. When you hit the sweet spot, the imaging and PRaT suddenly locks in. In my case, tail slightly down sounds best.

Offline ...

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 12:29 »
Never owned a 17d3 before. But from the few 17d3 i have listened to, the XX2 Mk 2 in comparison is a lot more well rounded in its strengths, Dynamic with great bass ... not just fast. A great cart at around S$2k.. It is VTA sensitive so take time to tune the VTA. When you hit the sweet spot, the imaging and PRaT suddenly locks in. In my case, tail slightly down sounds best.

thanks, i'm really leaning towards the xx2 mk ii now. just wondering, when you say tail down, it means the height at the pivot is lower than the cartridge?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:55 by ... »
The best

Offline malsound

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 18:48 »
Keep an open mind on TT makes. There are many good brands out there that suit any budget. Tom Fletcher designed tables have their own  sound, and so do Roksans, Origin Live and Mitchells. These are all venerable british made tables that do the PRaT thing in varying degress of greatness with some compromise on scale, dynamics and imaging.

Totally agree with you brother Blue, I too have opportunity to listen to some these TT and help to test drive some of them, so to speak  :) (yes we have cross path before) so can appreciate what each component
bring to the final sound. Do not misunderstood me, I am not saying the notts or what Tom Fletcher makes is the best out there but just having a leap of faith that he has comsumate what he learn in his 40 year of TT manufacturing into his new design.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 19:40 by malsound »

Offline malsound

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2010, 19:31 »
any tips on slotting in a vta adjuster to the moerch arm? would the sound suffer?
You mean VTA on the FLY ,was thinking about those gadget
for a while but do not know anyone personally who is using them but anyway people like me will prefer to do things the hard way. :D

Offline ...

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2010, 19:36 »
You mean VTA on the FLY ,was thinking about those gadget
for a while but do not know anyone personally who is using them but anyway people like me will prefer to do things the hard way. :D

for final adjustments very "siong"
The best

Offline shsoh

• .:..:..:..:..:..:.
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2010, 09:38 »
Back to this topic for the Spacedeck... I cannot find the recommended motor distance from the platter. I remembered reading somewhere it was like 5mm - Anyone has any information on this?

Thanks.

Offline malsound

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2010, 20:51 »
Back to this topic for the Spacedeck... I cannot find the recommended motor distance from the platter. I remembered reading somewhere it was like 5mm - Anyone has any information on this?

Thanks.

The manual states 6mm but don't get too hang up about the distances. From my experience, the correct  tautness and the general condition of the belt is more important.

Offline blue_starfish

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 10:08 »
Malsound is correct. The distance of the motor pod from the chassis is less important that getting the belt to look stationary when in fact it is moving. I.e. no vibration and fluctuations on the belt visible to the eye while the platter is spinning.

The pulley and the platter groove must be perfectly in-line, and the surfaces in contact wih the belt and belt itself perfectly clean to achieve this. Use the distance between motor pod and chassis to fine tune the effect of looking stationary when in fact the belt is moving.

Remember to lock the pulley position with the supplied allen key once you achieve perfection. Due to the constantly vibrating motor when at rest, the pulley tends to slip down wards bit by bit. This re-introduces the vibrating belt visual result which means speed stability is compromised.