Author Topic: are there nottingham analogue owners here?  (Read 14599 times)

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
are there nottingham analogue owners here?
« on: June 18, 2010, 18:34 »
do contribute what endears your turntable to you.

i'll start first:with my hyperspace,i feel that the sounds i hear with every record is what's in the grooves,nothing added or diminished. on really good recordings they sound live,good enough to fool most. the only bone i have is that this sense of realism could be slightly upped and could extend to more records.it is a machine that plays music,not one that tries to please or impress.

i'm familiar enough with turntables to agree with sound engineers that the medium is coloured(distorted) but in a very pleasant way,though i'm too wet behind the ears to say what that distortion is. the hyperspace is a rare exception(i think) and it doesn't colour the sound or the effects are diminished(i'm sure there are other names that are as good,if not better in this department).

this thread would probably get few replies as nottinghams aren't really popular :P

sh*t,it's friday night, what am i doing here at xp? ??? :P
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:02 by ... »
The best

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6N6P Über Tube
Re: are there nottingham analogue owners here?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 22:02 »
I used to own the Interspace, the early entry level model. Mounted an SME V on it and found out that that little baby was a bit on the warm side to my liking. Things may have changed since then as that TT was using MDF throughout. Now it is made of "Composite Wood". I wonder what MDF is called.  ;D
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N5P/6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline ...

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 22:09 »
i thought only the plinth is mdf(faux marble) and the rest is cast-iron/graphite composite or something? never thought to ask what it was made of. btw, what do you think of the ol conqueror? good match for hyperspace or should i look elsewhere? conqueror and space,makes my rig very star wars-like ;D
The best

Offline DIYer Straits

• 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 22:16 »
Platter was too but then again the newer models have got something else attached to the top of the platter.

Are you referring to the AN Conqueror amplifier? Conqueror and Space more like Klingon or Kzinti.  ;D
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/Modded TPA 3255 power amplifier/Anaview AMS1000 power amplifier/KT88 SE
FAST with a 6.5" Satori mid and a 12" Pro woofer/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline ...

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 22:32 »
or the romulans 8) no, was refering to the conqueror tonearm by ol
The best

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 22:45 »
I am an ex-Hyperspace owner. Had it first with a Space arm, and later on a SME V. I liked the SME V more as on the Hyper, it could plumb bass depths I never knew existed. I had a Dynavector XX1 mounted,  then a Dyna XX2 mk1, and Dyna finally a Dyna XX2mk2 on it. The combination matched well and gave me hours of listening pleasure. There was pleasant coloration that made bad recordings palatable and musical.

Later on I connected a VPI SDS, and added a Mystic mat. Both pushed the performance envelope significantly. The Mystic Mat brought darkness in between notes. The SDS improved the timing significantly - especially since it allowed me to do away with the rubber belt. I used unwaxed dental floss and silk thread in place of the rubber belt. The improvement was not subtle.  But best of all was I could conveneintly play 45s. In this incarnation, the Hyperspace could rock beautifully on pop/rock as well as float notes like a feather in the breeze when in came to classical. Nothing could throw it off balance.

Finally after 5 years with the Hyperspace high-end, I pulled the trigger on my last  'table which is many times more costly than the Hyper. This is the ultimate for me, and no more TT upgrades other than the cart.. This table cost me more than an arm and a leg  - but it thrashed the Hyper in every deparment from the very first note after the needle hit .......    

Offline shsoh

• .:..:..:..:..:..:.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 22:52 »
I'm a current owner of the Spacedeck with a Schroeder No 2FW tonearm. I really like it a lot for its neutrality and its ability to float images from a very dark background. The addition of a Mystic Mat and a Clearaudio Synchro enhances the playback further.

Heard the Hyperspace at my friends place. Wonderful set!

Offline malsound

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 22:53 »
i thought only the plinth is mdf(faux marble) and the rest is cast-iron/graphite composite or something? never thought to ask what it was made of. btw, what do you think of the ol conqueror? good match for hyperspace or should i look elsewhere? conqueror and space,makes my rig very star wars-like ;D
Keep your Moerch, IMO the notts and Moerch are match make in heaven, you are better off putting your money on your next cart. FYI the most deadly combo that I heard  was the notts/Moerch/Transfiguration Temper V and I still have wet dream thinking about the sound. :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 23:07 by malsound »
why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/_sBBaNYex3E

https://youtu.be/cYLQytuZ4KA

Offline DIYer Straits

• 6N6P Über Tube
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 23:01 »
There, Bro starfish said it nicely.  ;D

As for the Conqueror tonearm, I have not heard it personally but if the reviews are worth anything to go by, it should beat the NA's pseudo unipivot arms by the proverbial mile. If fact. based on the postings above, most higher range tonearms are more detailed.
Laptop via XMOS
Khadas Tone DAC
To be updated

Offline ical

• Vinyl Kills The MP3 Industry
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 00:06 »
I am an ex-Hyperspace owner. Had it first with a Space arm, and later on a SME V. I liked the SME V more as on the Hyper, it could plumb bass depths I never knew existed. I had a Dynavector XX1 mounted,  then a Dyna XX2 mk1, and Dyna finally a Dyna XX2mk2 on it. The combination matched well and gave me hours of listening pleasure. There was pleasant coloration that made bad recordings palatable and musical.

Later on I connected a VPI SDS, and added a Mystic mat. Both pushed the performance envelope significantly. The Mystic Mat brought darkness in between notes. The SDS improved the timing significantly - especially since it allowed me to do away with the rubber belt. I used unwaxed dental floss and silk thread in place of the rubber belt. The improvement was not subtle.  But best of all was I could conveneintly play 45s. In this incarnation, the Hyperspace could rock beautifully on pop/rock as well as float notes like a feather in the breeze when in came to classical. Nothing could throw it off balance.

Finally after 5 years with the Hyperspace high-end, I pulled the trigger on my last  'table which is many times more costly than the Hyper. This is the ultimate for me, and no more TT upgrades other than the cart.. This table cost me more than an arm and a leg  - but it thrashed the Hyper in every deparment from the very first note after the needle hit .......    

Based on your description, I've a feeling that your new TT is a SME. That's what I'll go for.  :)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 00:11 by ical »
P9/ RB1000 | DV-XX2 MkII | PS.30RDT | TecnoWeight | STB-MS/ STB-CM | Clearaudio Matrix | Furutech DF2 | SK-EX | RL30Mk3/ RGC24/ REM8/ RCI3/ RR77 | Isotek Sigmas | CSE RK100 | QC24/ II-40 & nos Tungsol 6550 | SHL5 & Sound Anchor | Solidsteel 5.4 | SCB-RS50G/ TITE35S/ 25MF | Stax 717/ O2Mk1/ 404LE

francis woo

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 00:21 »
An arm and a leg....most probably the Walker Black Diamond 2..... :)

Offline blue_starfish

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00 »
An arm and a leg....most probably the Walker Black Diamond 2..... :)

The best turntable that I ever had the pleasure of listening to bar none. But no, it is not. Besides the prohibitive price tag, I do not have space for the air pump and tank assembly case, and miles of air-tubes.

Also my gut feel is that in our wonderful humid weather, there are issues with drying compressed air sufficiently over a period to prevent corrosion in the precision air-bearings of arm and platter.

And once I move the table, Mr Walker must visit me to fine tune the set-up.  :(

Offline blue_starfish

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:11 »
Based on your description, I've a feeling that your new TT is a SME. That's what I'll go for.  :)

Bro ical, long time no see. How are you my friend? Welcome to the world of the black pizza. Your collection of LPs is very impressive, and in such a short time too.

You are spot-on with you guess that it is a SME. You know my taste. But mine is not a standard SME 30/2 in that I changed the venerable SME V with PAD AK phono cable for a Basis Vector 4 with very good results. Much more even sounding with details and clarity. But I had to give up the superb deep bass of the V in return.

The SME 30, because of its design sounds like a LP12 on steroids. It marries the liveliness and speed of the best suspended TT, with the scale, solid imaging, neutrality and wide dynamic range of the high-mass  designs.  It matches my taste exactly in a fuss-free design (besides the industrial looks).

Offline shsoh

• .:..:..:..:..:..:.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 09:37 »
Read that Tom Fletcher designs Nottingham tt to be used with unipivots. You can call them to ask more. Strangely they don't seem to have an email contact. Pm me if you want the Uk number.

Offline jeromelang

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 12:30 »
i am puzzled. ???

just 3 weeks ago, i ran into our friendly neighbourhood SIA steward.

he told me how he got rid of his SME and nottingham (the very same unit the thread starter is using), and is now using a refurbished Lenco.
after clean up and realignment, the whole Lenco TT cost only around $1K
he said this Lenco setup is the best that he has ever heard, and that he is so relived to have wakened up, and be able to get rid of his previous TTs.

either this man is deluded or we are missing something here?

has anyone heard his Lenco setup yet? if this TT is as good as he claims, i wanna have one too!!! seriously.
Main System: Sources Sony SCD-1, SCD-XA9000ES (Black), Michell Gyro SE, SME V, Lyra Skala. Amplifiers Pass Lab Aleph Ono, Sony TA-E1, Pass X350. Speakers Sony SS-M9ED. Cables Straightwire Crescendo interconnects, double run speaker cables. All Hirakawa powercords plugged directly to wall mains, dedicated line for audio only.
Second System: SCD-XA9000ES (Gold), Pro-Ject Genie 1.3, Pass X2.5, Sony TA-N1. Sony SS-M7, Straightwire Virtuoso Interconnect. Straightwire Serenade speaker cables.