Author Topic: STEREO: A MISUNDERSTANDING  (Read 5076 times)

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
STEREO: A MISUNDERSTANDING
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:12 »
The best

Offline stephen chung

Re: STEREO: A MISUNDERSTANDING
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:04 »

Offline chanfm

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:22 »
the link is not working

Link seems ok.

Offline nichino

• a healthy dose of curiosity goes a long way
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 15:55 »
http://www.anstendig.org/Stereo.html

informative bit

Excellent article - thanks for sharing!
Fronts: MA RS 1 | Centre: MA RS LCR | Surround: MA Radius HD 90
Sub: MA RSW 12
AVR: Marantz SR 6003
Display: Pioneer Kuro 500A
Source: Oppo 983H / Xtreamer / Panny BD60 / HRT Music Streamer II+
Harmony One Remote

Offline ...

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 19:01 »
was once told that the owner of redifusion has a mini-theatre in his home in london where it housed over a hundred speakers, one for every instrument in an orchestra and remarked it was the only way to listen to reproduced music :o
The best

Offline hifi_enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 00:25 »
if you dabble in a bit of home recording, you'll already know that during mixing/mastering, a home recordist has no chance of reproducing the actual event as heard by your ears. Instead. you just do what sounds 'natural' during post production (reach for that reverb and EQ dial haha). Only after recording do you know how much reverb everyone adds.... :)

Offline ...

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 08:47 »
read one too many recording/sound engineer say that if only audiophiles knew the degree of doctoring that is done post production,they will hang themselves by the very expensive cables they buy. i have gone to studios to record myself and know exactly how reverb and tone controls can entirely change the qualities of the original signal
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:39 »
There's an article in the latest issue of Stereophile which funnily addresses the two things you posted recently.

The writer talks about how bad a live symphony orchestra sounded and missed his home rig. Hehe

But he did say he was in a crappy seat. Seems like there's a sweet spot but it's usually reserved for reviewers and he had the misfortune of being overlooked when it came to seating in the premium locations. 
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ...

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:45 »
Quote from: ...link=topic=78071.msg570379#msg570379 date=1276972759

]the real culture of going to concerts is not merely to be caressed by the sounds which agrees with oneself, but to listen to the genius of composition of composers,the efficacy of the orchestra as an instrument and the interpretation of the conductor. it is both an intellectual and emotional exercise(pls note that i didn't say experience).having a good sounding hall is a bonus though ;D

[/quote

« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 10:13 by ... »
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 10:04 »
You gotta read the whole article lah. The writer went on to move his seats during the performance. And got progressively to the sweet spot. :)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ...

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17 »
Quote from: ...link=topic=78071.msg570379#msg570379 date=1276972759

]the real culture of going to concerts is not merely to be caressed by the sounds which agrees with oneself, but to listen to the genius of composition of composers,the efficacy of the orchestra as an instrument and the interpretation of the conductor. it is both an intellectual and emotional exercise(pls note that i didn't say experience).having a good sounding hall is a bonus though ;D

[/quote

i accidentally deleted abig chunk of my post ???
The best

Offline ...

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 10:25 »
don't mind re-writing it but no one seems to be interested in this topic :P
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 17:47 »
There's an article in the latest issue of Stereophile which funnily addresses the two things you posted recently.

The writer talks about how bad a live symphony orchestra sounded and missed his home rig. Hehe

But he did say he was in a crappy seat. Seems like there's a sweet spot but it's usually reserved for reviewers and he had the misfortune of being overlooked when it came to seating in the premium locations. 

Here's the article if anyone is still interested in reading...

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/live_as_canned_reproduced_as_true/

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Austrich

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29 »
looking from a different perspective ......

IMO, this guy is just doing his job, he must continue to write something for stereophile, otherwise where to get his pay cheque ?  If anyone so simple minded believe in him, then don't go concert hall just buy some high-end stuff and stay in small room listen to the Symphony....can create your own imagination...this is what I called Emotional & Psychological approach in Hi-Fi music listening.. nothing wrong, everyone have a different approach in this Hi-Fi hobby..... ;D

He is telling people to look for that "right spot" when in concert hall...otherwise don't attend...waste money  ???

Mine is using the Technical & Logical approach...same as those design Engineers..sometime I do succumb to the Emotional & Psychological feel, especially when something is very well designed and has that nice colour that I really like, I'll go get it, just for the design... ;D

Same for Hi-Fi, I buy to enjoy music, not to tell the Design Engineer that his design is not so good, therefore I need to put all kinds of tweaks / gadgets to "improve" his design.
Most Hi-Fi companies will close shop if everyone just buy one set and keep it for 20 yrs..there will be no stereophile, no Audio shop around...manufacturers will always come out with something extra to make more money. Even refrigerator makers produce different handle bar / special stickers with different colours to make your fridge look better !

So, in reality there are Two schools in Hi-Fi hobby, since the days of 1904 Industrial Revolution, when Diode / Rectifier / Valve amplifiers were the rage.  There are tons of invention for consumers to play. That makes the market more Vibrant. However, No one has found the "Truth" or " Perfect sound " in Hi-Fi.  Diode ---->Valve ----->Tube ------Solid State.

In using Technical & Logical approach : Just purchase a reasonable good system according to your financial means of course, sit back and enjoy your music... occasionally pop in to concert hall and experience the live performance, but don't move around to try find the "Sweet Spot". you won't get paid for it .... ;D

If you're Emotional and Psychologically not able to satisfy yourself with even a pair of high-end speakers, then no choice but go buy up every tweaks and gadgets available to help you discover the " Perfect sound".... ;D

I enjoy hi-fi equipments and music, but to me the sweetest analogue sound are those that sings right into your ear by those sweet young singers ......  ;D