Author Topic: any way to ascertain correct ac polarity for a system?  (Read 8369 times)

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: any way to ascertain correct ac polarity for a system?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 17:05 »
You mentioned that you used to get better bass but not now.  What had changed?
someone switched the polarity at the mains for me
The best

Offline jimi

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 18:05 »
Only way to be sure.. get a test pen ready :)

DH,

Do you know where to get one of these test pens? Do I just ask for a 'polarity test pen'?

Can a multimeter do the same job?

Cheers!

jimi

Offline aquarius

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 20:04 »

Ah now I see.  If I were you I would just get a good electrician to check all the wiring to see if they are properly connected including polarity.  Peace of mind and enjoying music is probably worth what you will need to pay the electrician.

Offline ...

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 20:12 »
Ah now I see.  If I were you I would just get a good electrician to check all the wiring to see if they are properly connected including polarity.  Peace of mind and enjoying music is probably worth what you will need to pay the electrician.
probably would do just that,thanks for the tip :)
The best

Offline dXter

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 20:18 »
DH,

Do you know where to get one of these test pens? Do I just ask for a 'polarity test pen'?

Can a multimeter do the same job?

Cheers!

jimi

It's the usual test pens you can get from hardware stores. Works the same on AC, just contact on the live wire to light up.

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 21:33 »
Here's some discussion on the discontinued Nakimi Polarity checker..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1127214178

Van der Hul also sell a similar model..

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_IG01.aspx

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 21:35 by BTW »

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 21:40 »

??? So get it swapped back then!
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline ...

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 22:03 »
??? So get it swapped back then!
just wanted to know what a reversed polarity rig sounds like so i can identify the proper sound ;D
The best

Offline ...

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 22:07 »
Here's some discussion on the discontinued Nakimi Polarity checker..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&1127214178

Van der Hul also sell a similar model..

http://www.vandenhul.com/p_IG01.aspx

thanks for the info;must apologise for the late reply,forgot had this thread running :D
The best

Offline BTW

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 23:36 »
thanks for the info;must apologise for the late reply,forgot had this thread running :D

No prob... Wrt this polarity issue .. take your time to do all the checks ... no as simple as it looks..

Wrt to AC polarity .. I think if you can get a polarity checker .. that'll make your life a lot easier.. If not... then you need to invert the phase and check one item at a time... When polarity is correct normally the bass will be fuller and more dynamic.. and of course the dynamics will be better as well....

What I want to mention in Phase Polarity.... This becomes very tricky especially when you are playing phono and CDs... There are phonostages that are phase inverting and if you have it connected to your Preamp.. you'll get CDP in correct phase... Phono out of phase.. or vice versa... That's why I normally recommend you use a Test LP or Test CD to check the phase...

If you are listening to phase... when the system is out of phase... you can sometimes get very huge image but the singers and instruments are kind of like floating or all over the place.. ie not pin-point imaging.. The drum will also sound distant and not well focus... bass will have less impact...

If the phase is correct... straight away... everything snaps in place.. imaging is more pin point, more dynamics .. but image can be a wee bit smaller... but if you listen carefully.. it's a lot more correct and natural sounding..  

Almost forgot to mention... there are some recordings that are recorded out-of-phase... so do take note of those recordings especially when fine tuning your system...

All the best on your debugging...  

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 00:28 by BTW »

Offline ...

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 08:58 »
No prob... Wrt this polarity issue .. take your time to do all the checks ... no as simple as it looks..

Wrt to AC polarity .. I think if you can get a polarity checker .. that'll make your life a lot easier.. If not... then you need to invert the phase and check one item at a time... When polarity is correct normally the bass will be fuller and more dynamic.. and of course the dynamics will be better as well....

What I want to mention in Phase Polarity.... This becomes very tricky especially when you are playing phono and CDs... There are phonostages that are phase inverting and if you have it connected to your Preamp.. you'll get CDP in correct phase... Phono out of phase.. or vice versa... That's why I normally recommend you use a Test LP or Test CD to check the phase...

If you are listening to phase... when the system is out of phase... you can sometimes get very huge image but the singers and instruments are kind of like floating or all over the place.. ie not pin-point imaging.. The drum will also sound distant and not well focus... bass will have less impact...

If the phase is correct... straight away... everything snaps in place.. imaging is more pin point, more dynamics .. but image can be a wee bit smaller... but if you listen carefully.. it's a lot more correct and natural sounding..  

Almost forgot to mention... there are some recordings that are recorded out-of-phase... so do take note of those recordings especially when fine tuning your system...

All the best on your debugging...  

i remember when the polarity was switched,80% of the bass went missing and everything sounded alien and unnatural to me,like a little life was siphoned away from the music.the bass became emaciated and what i heard was the bones sans meat; it sounded alot cleaner though that's the reason i stuck to this sound. thanks for the tips. most likely i will get a checker and work my way through
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:12 by ... »
The best

Offline wwenze

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2010, 11:38 »
Why don't you just get someone to help you do a blind test (though it's already kinda blind already since you don't know which is the correct AC polarity).

If there is a difference, go with the one you like.

If you can't hear any difference, then take out your test pen.

Correct things don't necessarily sound good, wrong things don't necessarily sound bad.
Layman solutions to engineering problems don't exist.

Layman solutions that claim to solve problems in exchange for your money do.

Offline ...

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2010, 17:35 »
maybe i should phrase it this way:if after the polarity was switched and one gets less bass/cleaner sound/unnatural sound/expanded soundstage,is that any indication that the polarity after the switch is wrong? could anyone help with this?need to know if there's a definitive trait i can listen for before i switch
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 17:45 by ... »
The best

Offline wwenze

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2010, 18:06 »
What is the suspected equipment in question?

Just to say this, you might be trying to find the correct answer to a question that has no right answer.

To elaborate, there might not be any possible difference by switching the AC polarity or the effect may go either way (see re: transformer wiring), but because you hold the thought that the correct polarity sounds (insert adjective) and try to listen for it, you may end up getting the wrong polarity instead, or hear a difference when there is none (though blind-testing removes this issue).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 18:14 by wwenze »
Layman solutions to engineering problems don't exist.

Layman solutions that claim to solve problems in exchange for your money do.

Offline ...

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 18:08 »
it's the us type plug of my power strip to which everything is connected
The best