Author Topic: ray samuels a renovation part-timer?  (Read 7846 times)

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
ray samuels a renovation part-timer?
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:16 »
presently circa 55 hours into running the f117 phonostage and on excellent recordings, my walls disappear ;D :o
The best

Online naimster

• My system
Re: ray samuels a renovation part-timer?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 13:03 »
Bro, can't wait to hear your comments on p75 vs rs. Wonder if rs is really is a giant killer as most claimed.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline ...

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 13:17 »
calling it a giant killer is a gross misuse of rhetoric, its much more. now for the first time i can exclaim my analogue setup is a big distance ahead of my sacd setup,which itself is no slouch. and the best part's the rs is only at the 61 hour mark-ray said that the magic starts at the 100 hr :o
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 16:29 by ... »
The best

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 18:01 »
calling it a giant killer is a gross misuse of rhetoric, its much more. now for the first time i can exclaim my analogue setup is a big distance ahead of my sacd setup,which itself is no slouch. and the best part's the rs is only at the 61 hour mark-ray said that the magic starts at the 100 hr :o

you can just leave it on even when there is no signal running thru it to run in.  Mine is more than 200 hrs already run-in this way. 
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline ...

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 18:17 »
you can just leave it on even when there is no signal running thru it to run in.  Mine is more than 200 hrs already run-in this way.  
i'm doing exactly that,it is on the second charge/discharge,is there any improvement after the 3rd cycle?
The best

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 21:42 »
i'm doing exactly that,it is on the second charge/discharge,is there any improvement after the 3rd cycle?

I haven't got a chance to hear it again after my initial positive comparision against the build-in phono stage of the Vosne Romanes as my amp has been sent for repair.  It will be another 2 wks before I get my pre back :(
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline ...

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 18:17 »
i'm at the 100 hours and subtle magic is beginning to show,all in the most comprehensive way. ray said to give it 3 charges before it approaches optimal and therefore i'll refrain from any objective opinion,but it definitely is way ahead of the dynavector p75 mk ii which i use in another system. can't wait for my next spin ;D
The best

Online naimster

• My system
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 18:49 »
i'm at the 100 hours and subtle magic is beginning to show,all in the most comprehensive way. ray said to give it 3 charges before it approaches optimal and therefore i'll refrain from any objective opinion,but it definitely is way ahead of the dynavector p75 mk ii which i use in another system. can't wait for my next spin ;D
what type of power supply you're using for the p75? FYI, It can still be pushed further with a better linear regulated  power supply instead of the crappy switch mode. Improvmemt is not subtle.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline volks_ong

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 20:18 »
I am interested in buying the F117 but the promotional price is over  :(

I have written to Ray Samuel to extent the promotional price if possible  :P

Offline ...

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:53 »
what type of power supply you're using for the p75? FYI, It can still be pushed further with a better linear regulated  power supply instead of the crappy switch mode. Improvmemt is not subtle.
its a regulated psu jimmy bundled together with the dynavector
The best

Online naimster

• My system
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05 »
Those are still switch mode ps, though regulated which is quite limiting. The one I am using right now even trounced Russ Andrews ps by quite a margin. So it will be interesting to see how a hot rodded p75 fares with giant killer RS. If you are game for it, I am game too..  :)

Offline ...

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 11:41 »
Those are still switch mode ps, though regulated which is quite limiting. The one I am using right now even trounced Russ Andrews ps by quite a margin. So it will be interesting to see how a hot rodded p75 fares with giant killer RS. If you are game for it, I am game too..  :)

how do i buy this ps?must spend $ once more >:(
The best

Online naimster

• My system
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 12:51 »
It's a diy-ed one based on basic building blocks of a typical regulated linear supply with some twists. I am interested to know the results cos I will go for RS as well if there's a big gap between my improved p75 vs RS.

how do i buy this ps?must spend $ once more >:(

Offline 42.2

• Snr Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 13:15 »

That's what i have too, can be better as per naimster's.

Offline ...

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 09:14 »

you should have made clear this when you asked me for comparison ::) i'm free this sunday afternoon if you want a listen and bring your p75. for those interested, i can have a max of 3 people. just let me know beforehand :D
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 19:01 »
Man. All it took was 5 days for them to get here :)

Too bad Jaben doesn't bring them in so couldn't get the offer.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline volks_ong

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 10:47 »
Hi DH,

I believe you have bought the F117 , how is this phono amp compared to what you already had?

Ya , the intro price no longer applied...

I am still pondering which amp to purchase...

Thanks...

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 12:45 »
It's delivered to my in law's place.

Was supposed to get with another member here to get the offer. But didn't work out. Had to get US friend to order for me in the end.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ...

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 12:27 »
It's delivered to my in law's place.

Was supposed to get with another member here to get the offer. But didn't work out. Had to get US friend to order for me in the end.
it did not fly when i sent you 2 pms to which you never replied  >:(
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 13:25 »
U sent two PMs: first with your contact. And then a second one if I knew annapurna which I didn't. You mentioned you didn't have a paypal account. So I wasn't sure where else we could have gone.

I would have joined in your own purchase if I had known you were making the purchase on your own.  

In any case, that's water under the bridge. I didn't even name any names. :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 13:38 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline volks_ong

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2010, 14:59 »
Cool it bros  :)  , guess just a mis-understanding ...

Hi ...  ,

how did you find the amp?

Am thinking should I order even with the current price ....

Thanks 

Offline ...

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 15:29 »
Cool it bros  :)  , guess just a mis-understanding ...

Hi ...  ,

how did you find the amp?

Thanks 
fantastic, it has a neutral purity to its presentation,micro and macro dynamics, extremely differentiated shades of tones,fantastic depth,buy it,you would have to pay multiples its price to even approach this though i'll have to acknowledge my limited experience with costly ones
The best

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2010, 15:58 »

Thanks 

will be able to compare it to my Bel Canto Phono3 and Allnic H1200 when I get back.

For this price (I got it after the promo so it's the same price as you would be paying), frankly it's hard to go wrong. There aren't any battery powered phono stages at this price point. Battery powered ones like the Phonomena Nova and the ph3D are all US$1k to start. And if there's one thing common, it's that battery power gives very low noise floor so details and soundstage can be more prominent.

I also like that the dials to control loading is in front. Very easy to tweak if you have more than one cart or wish to experiment with different loadings which seems to be the case with my Sumiko.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline volks_ong

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 16:21 »
Dear Both,

I know what you are talking about ....  batt operated  ;)
I had a Trigon Advance (batt operated) , very good sq .... quiet and dymanic  ...  sold to a friend  ...  just to try something new  ....

Anyone wants to buy together ? can save on the shipping cost ...

Offline ...

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 17:08 »
Dear Both,

I know what you are talking about ....  batt operated  ;)
I had a Trigon Advance (batt operated) , very good sq .... quiet and dymanic  ...  sold to a friend  ...  just to try something new  ....

Anyone wants to buy together ? can save on the shipping cost ...

check out these-loading 50 ohms,gain max, these provided me the best reproductin
The best

Offline ...

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 17:10 »
U sent two PMs: first with your contact. And then a second one if I knew annapurna which I didn't. You mentioned you didn't have a paypal account. So I wasn't sure where else we could have gone.

I would have joined in your own purchase if I had known you were making the purchase on your own.  

In any case, that's water under the bridge. I didn't even name any names. :)
well, like you said,water under the bridge, whatever twas that transpired
The best

Offline volks_ong

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 17:16 »
Dear All,

Anyone interetsed in ordering ... pls let me know  ....

Thanks..