Author Topic: tt motor ,need assistance  (Read 2953 times)

Offline kelso

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: tt motor ,need assistance
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 10:53 »
I used to have an NAS before and experimented with how variable force used to push start the platter affects speed with a KAB strobe. And yes, like you found out using insufficient force will result in a lower speed which sometimes does not even reach 33 or 45. As I remember it Fletcher designed it such that the motor only supplies sufficient torque to turn the platter when its already spinning so as to negate extraneous vibrations from an overpowering motor. It like a car with its engine always coupled at fourth gear - although its very difficult to move it from standing, give it a push and it gets going. Try running a car in 1st/2nd at 80kph there'll be lots of vibration but smooth at 4th/5th.
Waking up in the morning is the second hardest thing.

Offline ...

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 18:35 »
this may be the final turntable for me, i very much prefer it to the basis 2200(less realism) and tw acustic(too much colour) although i admit that my experience with other makes are limited. might add a second arm later, like an ol encounter or illustrious,something with a more weighty sound. think the two will click  :D?
The best

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 19:18 »
get a neon test lamp to see the strobe... or a fluoro lamp like for a fish tank, not an energy saving lamp as I think they are using switched freq not 50hz
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.