Author Topic: Sonus faber Speaker Thread  (Read 375840 times)

Offline chewed

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sonus faber Speaker Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 10:17 »

Like that you call 'humble'....  :o

+1.... ;D

Offline Luv4nature

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58 »
A very active and participative Sonus faber forum for reference, hope it can be as active here at x'place ;)

http://audioaficionado.org/sonus-faber/

Offline Phaton

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 12:24 »
+1 SF owner.

2 x Piccolo Center, a pair of Grand Piano Home, a pair of Concerto & a pair of SF Electa Amtor 1 ;D

Offline arsene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 14:59 »
Good set up! Is it the original (biwire), home or domus concertino that you are using?

Among all the current speakers in the market, I find that Liuto monitor & tower are pretty under-rated, for the kind of build quality and sonic performance, the Luitos are actually superb. For those longing for the old concert series sound signature, Luitos provides the closest ressemblence and offer even more  ;)

I am using the original biwire version.  It was my first SF pair of speakers which I bought 2nd hand with original SDF adjustable stand almost 9 years ago and the dealer is still prepared to trade in at the same price which I paid for.  I also sold off my 2nd hand Amator 2 at a profit after using it for 2 years.  This goes to show that SF prices hold pretty well in the 2nd hand market. 

Aesthetically, I actually prefer the walnut finish in the old series or the Domus series rather than the current wood finish of the Liutos.  However, the Liuto is more dynamic sounding and sweeter in the highs than the original concerto / concertino 2.  In fact, this is my first SF which I bought brand new.

Btw love your setup :)

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 16:06 »
+1 SF owner.

2 x Piccolo Center, a pair of Grand Piano Home, a pair of Concerto & a pair of SF Electa Amtor 1 ;D

Your EA1 is a prized classic !

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 16:14 »
I am using the original biwire version.  It was my first SF pair of speakers which I bought 2nd hand with original SDF adjustable stand almost 9 years ago and the dealer is still prepared to trade in at the same price which I paid for.  I also sold off my 2nd hand Amator 2 at a profit after using it for 2 years.  This goes to show that SF prices hold pretty well in the 2nd hand market.  

Aesthetically, I actually prefer the walnut finish in the old series or the Domus series rather than the current wood finish of the Liutos.  However, the Liuto is more dynamic sounding and sweeter in the highs than the original concerto / concertino 2.  In fact, this is my first SF which I bought brand new.

Btw love your setup :)

Thanks!

Yap, the original Concertino was once dumped at $500 a pair some 10 years ago. Today, they are being traded at $800 to $1k a pair, you should continue to keep it, may be it will appreciate faster than your property :)

Agree on the wood finish, the older series used solid wood cabinets and solid walnut side panels (for concert range), while Luitos are just real wood verneer... the solid walnut cabinets / panels all age beautifully with time. They are all real classics, even just used as displays  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 23:12 by Luv4nature »

Offline durianlover88

• Forget Sound, Enjoy Music :)
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 16:23 »
Hi Bros - have got a Cremona Centre speaker, and 4 pairs of Wall Domus surround speakers. Hoping to do Audyssey DSX one day, but WAF to overcome, so 3 pairs unused at the moment and buying time. Solid, artistic, yet graceful. Good to know the SF fans here in Xtremeplace :)

I have a question - any Bros know of people making the Cremona Centre speaker grille (Martin Electronics declined when asked) - 3 children at home, and very worried that they will poke and pierce the drivers. Under no choice, I will have to go for making an acrylic speaker cover.
For sale(neg):
Geek Out SIGNATURE Edition: S$999
Crystal Dreamlink 1m/Siltech Zero Ohm Diamond 1.5m: S$1888/S$2288
Acoustic Revive REM-8/RGC-24: S$388
Stillpoint Mini Ultra(3): S$388

seller

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 17:07 »
How does SF spks compare to Usher spks?

Is this equation Usher = SF made in china version valid?

Offline Phaton

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 18:43 »
Your EA1 is a prized classic !

Thanks. The Amator 1 are real keepers, but you do need very good electronics to make them sing as they are really very power hungary due to the Esotar Tweeters, in fact they are even harder to drive then the Amatis. The Amators sounded way better then the concertos and Grand Piano I have(Mainly used them for HT now).

Few years back saw a lot of people dumping them as they are unable to drive them well :'( and in the end labelled the speakers as lousy. Had a chance to let one previous owner hear my setup and in the end he regretted parting his Amators. :o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 18:49 by Phaton »

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 22:30 »
Good balanced sounding floorstander !

Yes, the M range are a lot more neutral sounding and easier to drive than the earlier generation of Cremonas. I have thrown everything from classics to rock to pop, all genres of music except reggae. And cannot throw it out of its step.

Sounds better with a proper support under the standard spiked feet - improved timing and coherence.

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 22:49 »
Hi Bros - have got a Cremona Centre speaker, and 4 pairs of Wall Domus surround speakers. Hoping to do Audyssey DSX one day, but WAF to overcome, so 3 pairs unused at the moment and buying time. Solid, artistic, yet graceful. Good to know the SF fans here in Xtremeplace :)

I have a question - any Bros know of people making the Cremona Centre speaker grille (Martin Electronics declined when asked) - 3 children at home, and very worried that they will poke and pierce the drivers. Under no choice, I will have to go for making an acrylic speaker cover.

Ha ha, you really invested in a solid soulful centre speaker for your HT system. Please don't neglect your front L/R too :)

Do not think about using acrylics to protect your speakers, they are disasters for sound transmission  :(

Forumer "synthesis" seems to be one of the DIY master here, why not consult him about your requirement?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 23:15 by Luv4nature »

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 23:08 »
Thanks. The Amator 1 are real keepers, but you do need very good electronics to make them sing as they are really very power hungary due to the Esotar Tweeters, in fact they are even harder to drive then the Amatis. The Amators sounded way better then the concertos and Grand Piano I have(Mainly used them for HT now).

Few years back saw a lot of people dumping them as they are unable to drive them well :'( and in the end labelled the speakers as lousy. Had a chance to let one previous owner hear my setup and in the end he regretted parting his Amators. :o

Yes I think the EA1 shares the same demanding dynaudio esotar tweeter as the Extrema. EA1 needs space behind the speakers for proper bass dispersion too. Am sure your EA1 sounds rich and energetic for a proper set up. Besides the big brother Extrema, EA1 was also one of the early success stories of Sonus faber.

Unlike many of the so called legacy speakers (from B&W, McIntosh, etc) that looks so out of place in modern day, Sf legacy speakers still carry an everlasting look today... besides the fact that they still sound very good.

Offline Austrich

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 00:15 »
hmmm...interesting, I didn't know B&W, McIntosh looks out of place in modern day ..... :o

One man's meat is another's poison ...

One man's music is another's noise ......... ;D

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 00:27 »
Read the word "legacy", which refers to like of early generation 801, etc, those same gen speakers as Extrema, EA1 in the 80s/ early 90s

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/506/

Of couse the current B&Ws look very up to date, but sorry bro, not refering to them...

And btw, this is a Sonus faber thread, so no big crime to be slightly bias to Sonus speakers :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 00:38 by Luv4nature »

Offline Luv4nature

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05 »
You have said the right words, "one man's meat is another man's poison" :)

You asked for it.... here's a virtual treat of Sonus factory

http://www.sonusfaberclub.com/meetings/sfvisit.html

and the making of Amati Homage

http://www.hifi-notes.com/sonusfaberamatifabrikage-nl.htm

Ownership wise, they are not co-owned by AR, more like the Italian private equity company Quadrivio SGR owns both Sonus faber & Audio Research.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:50 by Luv4nature »