Author Topic: Sonus faber Speaker Thread  (Read 404429 times)

Offline mousike

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sonus faber Speaker Thread
« Reply #1455 on: May 10, 2019, 22:48 »
Sad to say I don’t have any now hence I’m trying to find a proper pre/power setup.

There are many options out there and u may want to have a listen. Let your ears be the best judge. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Davegoo

« Reply #1456 on: May 11, 2019, 12:13 »
Yeah. Trying to read up abit here and there based on reviews and hearing from you guys.
Kinda hard sometimes to hear how the amp would sound like on my speakers unless they have the actual same setup.

Offline mousike

« Reply #1457 on: May 11, 2019, 14:06 »
When I first hop on this hobby I did more listening then reading. I also learnt to read with a pinch of salt. Some reviews I read online doesn’t reflect reality and some are skewed in opinions. Ideally no comparisons are worthwhile until it’s in your own setup.

There are many good and supporting folks in this forum that you can make friends with. They are more then willing to give you a listen to their setup too. Generally we are decent folks that loves music. After while you kind of get an idea of various tonality of various gears. Most often you would have to pay for the lessons...a bit of a chef tasting his dish.

IN that respect I think you are in the right path and asking the right questions. Also playing used gears is a great move to play and pay forward. After a while you will hear what you like and thrill be your sound.

Cheers!

Yeah. Trying to read up abit here and there based on reviews and hearing from you guys.
Kinda hard sometimes to hear how the amp would sound like on my speakers unless they have the actual same setup.

Offline Davegoo

« Reply #1458 on: May 11, 2019, 20:24 »
LOL. I like how you put it.

I am probably paying for my lessons in the pursuit for “The” sound right now or whatever my wallet allows.

Lots to learn from you and the people here for sure. Reviews from Stereophile are the only ones I trusted more but I rather hear from actual people in such forums.

I have to thank you for your patience and knowledge sharing as well. 👍

Offline Davegoo

« Reply #1459 on: June 30, 2019, 16:43 »
Just curious what kind of speaker cables does the general SF owners use here.

I know system components probably plays a part in the decision but I’m kinda stuck in a situation now where I’ve yet to finalize my choice of amplifier but needed to purchase my speaker cable first coz I have sold my old one without a replacement  :'(

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #1460 on: July 01, 2019, 14:49 »

I know system components probably plays a part in the decision but I’m kinda stuck in a situation now where I’ve yet to finalize my choice of amplifier but needed to purchase my speaker cable first coz I have sold my old one without a replacement  :'(

Hi, I am using Yter cables, interconnect (XLR) and speaker cables.  It works well in my setup with SF spkrs and Pass amps.  Note that Yter spkr cables comes in banana connectors and if you are using spades, you have to get the Yter adapters.
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #1461 on: July 01, 2019, 17:23 »

Sad to say you are in a Catch 22 situation now. Speaker cables match the speaker to the room, and amp to the speaker. The speaker cable capacitance plays a part on amp performance too. With some amp makes, speaker cables have big role in overall sound.

Best is you settle your amp first. Then borrow different cables to try on your system before you buy . As you probably know, speaker cables are very expensive. A mistake will cost you when you buy, and then sell. 

Alternative approach is after buy amp, borrow or buy a cheap used pair of speaker cables to run in system. Then borrow the costly pairs to try before buy.

For the all important answer, I was using Studio Connections (SC) cable with my SF. With high resolution vis-a-vis the mid-range cable it replaced, speaker weakness was exposed. Eventually the SC led me to replace the SF with something better that has stayed with me since.

Offline Davegoo

« Reply #1462 on: July 03, 2019, 21:10 »
Thanks for the replies guys.
You are right, I’m not focusing on the end goal and skipping the order of purchase and potentially end up wasting more money.

Now I’m in the other dilemma that Bro Mousike faced years back. To get a good integrated or a pre/power setup. Just happen to read a thread on that.