Author Topic: Sonus faber Speaker Thread  (Read 384031 times)

Offline fee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Snr Member
Re: Sonus faber Speaker Thread
« Reply #1410 on: December 02, 2018, 12:53 »
Did you managed to get your problem resolved ?
The crossover looks simple. Maybe can take the opportunity to "upgrade" the Solen Capacitor to something better.

yes, solved. Basically, the soldering is "off". redoing it, it is ok now. But during the process, i have "injured" the woofer. so now, i am thinking to keep or sell away.. haiz..

Offline scubafink

« Reply #1411 on: December 02, 2018, 12:56 »
Yes....SF fan here.

I have the Domus Series.....

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #1412 on: December 02, 2018, 13:32 »
Oh. What happened to your woofer ?

yes, solved. Basically, the soldering is "off". redoing it, it is ok now. But during the process, i have "injured" the woofer. so now, i am thinking to keep or sell away.. haiz..
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline fee

• Snr Member
« Reply #1413 on: December 02, 2018, 23:09 »
Oh. What happened to your woofer ?

See picture..

Offline pcking

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • I'm just an audio/video enthusiast!
« Reply #1414 on: December 02, 2018, 23:45 »
Seems like the rubber surrounds has broke.
You should be able to get it replaced by sending your driver to SLT 3rd floor, Tai Cheong.
And it’s best to replace both sides.
"The worse of the two is he who, when abused, retaliates. One who does not retaliate wins a battle hard to win."

Offline fee

• Snr Member
« Reply #1415 on: December 03, 2018, 19:45 »
Seems like the rubber surrounds has broke.
You should be able to get it replaced by sending your driver to SLT 3rd floor, Tai Cheong.
And it’s best to replace both sides.

ok. tks for advise. let me think about it. :-)

Offline synthesis

« Reply #1416 on: December 03, 2018, 20:02 »
Many drivers have non-standard size and therefore different size of rubber surround. May not be able to find exact replacement from SLT.

Offline Nimitz

« Reply #1417 on: December 19, 2018, 22:56 »
Hi,

I am saving up for a pre-owned SF Amati. I would like to know what is minimum power to drive a SF Amati. From the SF website, the current model SF Amati Tradition suggested power amp rating to be 100W – 500W, without clipping.

My living room is about 4m widthx 5.2m depth. Current setup is the distance from speaker to sofa is 2.5m. Is SF Amati speaker too big?

Please advise me. Thank you

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #1418 on: December 20, 2018, 05:50 »
Which series preowned?
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline mousike

« Reply #1419 on: December 20, 2018, 09:06 »
Hi,

I am saving up for a pre-owned SF Amati. I would like to know what is minimum power to drive a SF Amati. From the SF website, the current model SF Amati Tradition suggested power amp rating to be 100W – 500W, without clipping.

My living room is about 4m widthx 5.2m depth. Current setup is the distance from speaker to sofa is 2.5m. Is SF Amati speaker too big?

I think you have a fairly good size area but how tall is the ceiling? The last version of Amati needs some good power to drive it properly. It also depends on the kind of sound characteristics you prefers. I personally would pick a good solid state amp with at least 200W and add a tube pre if you like a little tube magic for the balance.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #1420 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11 »
Have been driving the latest Amati Tradition with the new VT80SE (KT150s) which IMHO sound better than the last REF75SE which used the same tubes. The VT80SE is like a REF160M split in half and shares some of the new architecture (auto bias etc) which Audio Research says sounds better than their older (manual biased) tube power amps. I bet it would sing with the REF160S (Reference 160 Stereo)
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Nimitz

« Reply #1421 on: December 20, 2018, 10:09 »
Which series preowned?

I just did some research on the Amati.. I realise homage, anniversario & futura- power requirement is 30–300W without clipping.
Homage- Woofer is 8.3", sensitivity is 92db
Anniversario- Woofer size is 8.5", sensitivity is 92db
Futura- Woofer size is 8.5", sensitivity is 90db
I guess it is either Anniversario or Futura.
Thanks for the advice

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:12 by Nimitz »

Offline Nimitz

« Reply #1422 on: December 20, 2018, 10:11 »
I think you have a fairly good size area but how tall is the ceiling? The last version of Amati needs some good power to drive it properly. It also depends on the kind of sound characteristics you prefers. I personally would pick a good solid state amp with at least 200W and add a tube pre if you like a little tube magic for the balance.
HDB ceiling height is 2.4m. I already have pre-amp tube and 350W power amp.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline blue_starfish

• I am a hi-fi dinosaur as I love analog
« Reply #1423 on: December 20, 2018, 11:02 »
Be prepared to do extensive room treatment. The best sounding Anniversarios I have heard were placed in very big rooms, the speakers well away from the side and front walls. I had a Cremona M in a room about same size as yours. The Cremona have rear ports like the Amati. Until the back of speaker was more than 1m away from the wall, I struggled with uneven bass. Another thing is be prepared to pay to put very good footers or stands under the spikes.   

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #1424 on: December 20, 2018, 11:20 »
Hi,

I am saving up for a pre-owned SF Amati Futura. I would like to know what is minimum power to drive a SF Amati. From the SF website, the current model SF Amati Tradition suggested power amp rating to be 100W – 500W, without clipping.

My previous speakers was the Sonus Faber Amati.  I have used it with Jadis JA100 (100 watts tube class A) and Pass Labs XA100.8 (100 watts transistor Class A).  With the Jadis, the bass is a bit fat and with the Pass, control is much better.  I used the Amati in my living room of about 3.5m X 8m on the long wall.  It was placed about 0.5m from the back wall with a listening distance of 2.5m.  I have 2 bass traps behind the speakers. With some room treatment, you should be able to get very good sound from the Amati. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:23 by annapurna »
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, XA100.8 Monos, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)