Author Topic: Any Bel Canto owners here?  (Read 27498 times)

Offline Audiolab

• Trade Count: (+4)
Re: Any Bel Canto owners here?
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 16:06 »
I would be interested to know how would the Bel canto Ref500S sound like vs the Wyred4Sound ST500. I am a user of the Bel Canto S300 with DAC3 and I am wondering is it worth to upgrade to the Ref500S.

Just wondering other than branding, why does the Ben Canto Ref500s have such a premium over the W4S ST500 since both specs are similar and also both are using ICE modules.

My father-in-law blames me for poisoning him with the Bel Canto system so overnight he's removed his Audiolab 8200CDQ, Wyred4Sound ST500 and Maranfz NA7004 digital/analog tuner with the 3 box Bel Canto equivalent: DAC2.5, REF500S and FM1.

The FM1 is new to me. Didn't realize Bel Canto would build an FM tuner. It's not cheap but the quality of the reception is exceptional. Compared to my old NAD tuner or the Marantz. It's so good a source, listening to FM as a hifi source is no longer unheard of. It also has XLR outputs!!! Not only that, it converts the FM audio into a 24/96 stream that I can use to feed the DAC2.5's digital inputs!!

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Any Bel Canto owners here?
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 16:27 »
Call SD, the difference may not be as big as you think.

The REF500S uses the third gen module vs the ST500. That may account for the improvements. But W4S just released a third gen ICEpowered monoblock as well. That may be worth a look. But BC's REF monoblock adds the input buffer and power supply rails as well (the W4S adds input buffer).
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 16:40 »
Ya. I should pay SD a visit. I would like to stick to BC since I have space constraint and also want to keep the uniform look. Thats why interested in the Ref500s.

Bro DH, any experience on how the Ref500S will sound compared to the S300? I personally would love the additional power from the 500s

Call SD, the difference may not be as big as you think.

The REF500S uses the third gen module vs the ST500. That may account for the improvements. But W4S just released a third gen ICEpowered monoblock as well. That may be worth a look. But BC's REF monoblock adds the input buffer and power supply rails as well (the W4S adds input buffer).

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 17:01 »
I always found the ASP250 to sound the worst of the second gen modules. There's something that the lower output module doesn't deliver.

Oddly enough, the third gen modules like the ones in the C7R sound better even though its lower powered.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 17:10 »
I suppose the S300 use the ASP250 module?

So seems like the upgrade is worth it.

I always found the ASP250 to sound the worst of the second gen modules. There's something that the lower output module doesn't deliver.

Oddly enough, the third gen modules like the ones in the C7R sound better even though its lower powered.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 17:18 »
I suppose the S300 use the ASP250 module?

So seems like the upgrade is worth it.

I would say yes. Heck, I'm almost tempted to get the in-law to trade in to the REF500Ms!! haha!
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 17:26 »
I doubt I can go for the Ref500Ms since I have space constraint. Would be very satisfied with the Ref500S if can get a good deal for it!

I would say yes. Heck, I'm almost tempted to get the in-law to trade in to the REF500Ms!! haha!

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 17:36 »
Except Audio now uses a full Ayre system to drive his 3.7s

Credit where credit's due. The Bel Cantos are just phenomenal value for money. The only model I'd not recommend is the S300/S300i/M300 for serious music listening. Which sadly is the one you had experience with.

I compared the W4S ST500 vs the Bel Canto REF500S and have to say the BCD still sounds noticeably better. And SD's pricing makes the BCD well within reach of someone springing for a brand new ST500 IMHO.

Haha. Yes. I do know the BCs are good. Audio once brought over his 1000mk2 to drive my then 2.4. Amazing.
Well if funds permit I might consider 1 to drive my Center speaker. The Dyn 200C does not sound good driven by the LX86 itself.
ProJect Q.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 21:07 »

Spot the difference

Ah it's good to catch up with Audio and Francis again.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 23:34 »
Oh, it looks even now.... LOL... :)

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2013, 00:35 »
Oh, it looks even now.... LOL... :)

(Audio)

heh

have a safe flight back buddy
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2013, 16:52 »
heh
have a safe flight back buddy

Thanks, I told my wife about the new purchase just minutes after we walk out of our favorite BelCanto shop.

Everything is nice and peaceful especially when it is your birthday month.   :)

(Audio)

Flight is delayed as we approaches the departure time at the gate.  Budget airlines, what do you expect....saw the flight crew walk down the aero bridge only to discover that it is not connected, the aircraft is late.  :)

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 13:22 »
Resistance is futile. I finally succumb to a pair of Ref500M to replace my S300 which is hook up to my DAC3 and they are now in the running in phase. SD mention it will take about 200 hours to sound good but was reading the forum that it takes up to 1500 hours. I guess it will be a while before I can hear the full potential of the Ref500M.

After almost 20 years in my hifi journey, this is the first time I have ever gotten myself a monoblocks. Now is to wait for the results!

Offline matty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • tubey day!!!
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 13:58 »
bro Audiolab, congrats! what speakers are you pairing up with the Ref500M?

Offline Audiolab

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 14:06 »
Long time no chat Matty. Didn't expect to see you in this thread. I am having a pair of selfmade floorstanders with Scanspeak Revelators and also loads of good stuff in the crossover.

How have your journey been? What are u using now? I guess you would have already change all your setup since you are into exploring.