Author Topic: Any Bel Canto owners here?  (Read 25534 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Any Bel Canto owners here?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 23:59 »
The newer Denons are not really rated for 4ohm operation. Think it has been the case since x09 series. In the past, the higher end 38xx and up range were still thx certified and 4ohm operation was a criteria for the thx approval.

My old Onkyo had a 4ohm mode but that was THX Ultra2 certified.

FWIW I suspect the 4810 is already quite taxed driving 9 channels with DSX now so I suspect offloading the center channel should help as well.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline TRS

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 00:25 »
You are getting the VBS upgrade? :)

Which model are you getting? The 3.5VB? There are a few models with the entry one competing quite strongly against the traditional cost-effective Benchmark series. Haven't heard these models tho. The 3VB sounds pretty incredible.

Currently using the nonVB versions of the Pre3/Phono3 hooked to REF1000MkIIx2s (upgraded from MkIs) which I think have now been rebadged as REF1000Ms.

I don't actually have a DAC yet, so no VBS upgrades :)  I'm not sure that my simple setup warrants sophistication like VBS technology...  Well, not yet!  I live in a small apartment so am just driving a set of the little known but quite amazing Lenehan ML-1 speakers from Australia (just like me), and an old REL Strata 5 woofer.

I am leaning toward the lower end BC DACs to be honest, as they have the number of inputs I want and look like they will work well as a pre-amp, so I have the option/flexibility to move to another amp in the future.  IIRC the only difference I could tell between the 1.5 and 2.5 was that the 2.5 had an external power supply?  Perhaps there are other differences I don't know about yet.

Obviously I need to hear them before purchasing, but the BC units seem a lot more functional than units like the Benchmark series, and the prices I've heard for the 1.5 are little more than the Benchmark so they look like quite good value, as you say.

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 00:31 »
I think the external power supplies mean it is ready for the VBS upgrade.

If you are using the DAC as a Pre Amp why get the S300i? Why not get the S300 or better yet the S500 power amps ;)

Not sure abt the Bel Canto distributor in Australia. Over here in Singapore,  was told the 3.5VB is coming in real soon now. 
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline TRS

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 00:41 »
If you are using the DAC as a Pre Amp why get the S300i? Why not get the S300 or better yet the S500 power amps ;)

I know I know.  Well when I bought it last year, there was no word of these new BC DACs coming out. And as another trap for young players, I bought the amp before I bought the speakers, and while they're fine with the S300i, they could always do with more power.  We're talking bookshelf speakers here, and the manufacturer told me to run them in I should "play them hard" just like he does with 700w McIntosh Monoblocks!  :o

And it's not like a near new S300iU would be hard to sell around here anyway.

...I actually live in Singapore BTW, not Aus :)  I was told about the ML1's by friends back home but wanted to audition before purchase.  By a stroke of luck I discovered that Audio Trio were selling the speakers up here, so it was an easy decision.
I wasn't even planning on buying a DAC until Alex at Audio Trio got in my ear about it!  ;D

It's a slippery slope. :P

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 01:43 »
Another potential candidate for a DAC to consider is the Wyred4Sound's upcoming DAC1 which uses the Sabre32 DAC. I really love how it improved the sound of the OppoSE.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 16:28 »

Crap. Bel Canto now available in Black Finish!!!

:P

Good thing my AVR and other gear are primarily in the silver finish..

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jayou

• Hobbyisit
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 16:48 »
looks ugly to me.  I know of people who spray paint the frame before this to match their other black components.
Good sounding vinyl in your collection
http://www.hobbyisit.com/category/good-sounding-vinyl/

Offline yihyan

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 18:42 »

Crap. Bel Canto now available in Black Finish!!!

:P

Good thing my AVR and other gear are primarily in the silver finish..

Its sexy :D

Can we upgrade the faceplate...............

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 18:59 »
Can check with SD I guess. :)

As for me, think I'll stick with the standard silver finish even if I get a new 500M as on my Pre3, Phono3 and other REF1000Ms.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 15:59 »
Can't wait to set up my REF500M tonight.. got the AW1 hooked up to the AVR last night, and even got a pair of mini stereo-RCA interconnects ready for the AW1.

Now just have to figure out how to get them to fit in the limited space I have...
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 16:18 »
Do they even sell this rack??

Looks kinda nice.. even if I'm not sure if there are any sonic improvements from such a design ;)

Great way to hide my snake's lair behind my current rack.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline chewed

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 19:15 »

DH,

now that's a nice rack... 8)

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 19:56 »
Hey sorry to hijack but couldn't resist. Just brought a pre-owned Bel Canto Dac 3.0 just wondering anyone using this to advise me whenever u powered on the set do u have to manually set it to the function u are using i.e SP1 or SP2 or OP etc. Also I noticed other Dac allows up sampling, but there's no  selection knob to do that???

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 20:08 »
My Benchmark didn't have a sample rate setting either.

And I never even power off the DAC3.5
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wsdavidcheah

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 20:40 »
So assuming if u power down, next time when u turn it on will it be on the previous setting? Or do u have to select again?