Author Topic: Any Bel Canto owners here?  (Read 25620 times)

Offline TRS

• Trade Count: (0)
Any Bel Canto owners here?
« on: March 10, 2010, 17:16 »
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a new Bel Canto S300iU, and it's great, but I have a question for any other owners out there.

Do you leave your amp in standby when not in use, or do you use the hard power switch at the back to turn it off?  I ask because I have found that if mine is left in standby mode during the day, or overnight (when the a/c isn't on in that room) it gets quite hot all over, even at the front.  It has fair ventilation too - it's not squeezed into a really small compartment or anything.
Obviously if I use the hard off switch at the rear this doesn't happen.

Is it a bad idea to leave it on standby for long periods and have it being constantly warm?

Thanks for any info :)

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Any Bel Canto owners here?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 17:28 »
Left them on for more than a year now....no issues even in non-air con room.

Amplifers are not human being......

(Audio)

Offline yihyan

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 17:37 »
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a new Bel Canto S300iU, and it's great, but I have a question for any other owners out there.

Do you leave your amp in standby when not in use, or do you use the hard power switch at the back to turn it off?  I ask because I have found that if mine is left in standby mode during the day, or overnight (when the a/c isn't on in that room) it gets quite hot all over, even at the front.  It has fair ventilation too - it's not squeezed into a really small compartment or anything.
Obviously if I use the hard off switch at the rear this doesn't happen.

Is it a bad idea to leave it on standby for long periods and have it being constantly warm?

Thanks for any info :)

i'm using s300i, left it on all the time, except when i'm on vacation 

Ya, it does feel a bit warm, but so far doesn't seems to cause any problem.

Offline ilovepanerai

• nature of sound
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 17:49 »
Am a big fan of Bel Canto equipments...

I have never switched off the Ref1000s ever since i got it few months back.
Only time its off is when i change cables on the amps.

The BC consume very little electric and to minimise any warm up, i simply do not switch them off.

Cheers

Offline DIYer Straits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6h30p Über Tube
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 18:23 »
The S300i and its ilk is basically a Pre3 input stage coupled to 2xM300 monoblocks in one chassis. The first generation S300i did not have a hard power switch, and was designed to be left on standby 24/7. The later S300i series has the said power switch because some customers tend to change cables whilst the amp was on standby. Due to the nature of its balanced design, damage may occur and void the warranty. It's in the user manual page 4.
Audere' Est Facere'    COME ON YOU SPURS.......
Laptop via XMOS
Dual AK4495 DAC
Technics SL1200Mk2 (Modded) : Magnepan Unitrac : AT 33PTG/AT ART7
Ortofon T30 MC step-up, Custom MM WAD Phono3S Tube Phonostage/DACT CT100 (modded)
Custom 6N6p Aikido Preamplifier
Modded TPA3118 Class D amplifier/ TPA 3255 power amplifier
Modded Thiel CS2.4/Modded ATC SCM-7/Some Satori in birch ply cabinets with a PR/KEF R300
To be updated

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 20:21 »
Never powered off the REF1000s unless I went away for long trips. Ditto after I upgraded to MkIIs. They do get a bit warm but not hot. Not as hot as my Benchmark DAC1 Pre even when the Pre is on standby.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline isplash

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 22:22 »
I once emailed Bel Canto pertaining to the heat issue on my S300i and was advised by the Technical Sales Manager, Matt Cramer that this is normal.

He also recommend not to use the on/off switch behind and best is to leave the int amp "on" or  in "standby" unless one is leaving home for several weeks.       

Offline fengshenwee

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 17:00 »
Using a S300. No such thing as standby mode. Maybe there is but no switch for me to press besides the on/off switch at the back.

Switch it off everytime when I am not using. environmentalist here. :)
AR-T Legato II USB-SPDIF / Audio-GD Reference 8 DAC / W4S STI-500
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Black Piano Lacquer
Lifatec SILFLEX GLASS CABLES with OPTISILK JACKETING / Acoustic Revive USB-1.0SP / Black Cat Silverstar 75 BNC / Black Sand Cable Statement One + Silver Reference MKV / LessLoss DFPC Signature / Nordost Heimdall XLR / AudioArt Cable SC-5 SE
SOtM tX-USB / TAOC PTS-A Spike Plate / Oyaide MTB-6 Power Distributor / Telos Gold RCA Caps / Maestro Power Outlet / DA&T AC Filter x3

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 17:39 »
Only my Power Amp has a physical power switch. The S300 is a power amp.

The S300i is an integrated amp which shares the pre-amp section with the Pre3.

The Pre3 has a standby option. It turns the display to "- - -". I am pretty sure the S300i has it too.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline TRS

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 18:47 »

The Pre3 has a standby option. It turns the display to "- - -". I am pretty sure the S300i has it too.

You are correct.  That's exactly what the S300i does when in standby too.

Thanks for the helpful information everyone, I'll just leave it on standby all the time. :)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 18:52 »
I never even put the Pre3 on standby ;)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline TRS

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 21:23 »
Interesting. Good to know, as I'm planning on buying one of the new Bel Canto DACs when they hit the ground in Singapore.

Actually, the Pre3 or any of the DACs would surely not get as hot as an integrated amp, right?

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 22:22 »
You are getting the VBS upgrade? :)

Which model are you getting? The 3.5VB? There are a few models with the entry one competing quite strongly against the traditional cost-effective Benchmark series. Haven't heard these models tho. The 3VB sounds pretty incredible.

Currently using the nonVB versions of the Pre3/Phono3 hooked to REF1000MkIIx2s (upgraded from MkIs) which I think have now been rebadged as REF1000Ms.

Contemplating a REF500M for the center channel when I get the MCS-1 since my current AVR isn't really rated for 4ohm loads.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 22:26 by Doggie Howser »
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline jonlee

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 23:31 »
DH, ur denon cannot handle the MCS1 as a centre spk meh?  Avr cannot handle main spks I agree, but centre spk mostly dialog.

Offline DJQ

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PLINIUS The Heart Of Music
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 23:39 »
DH, ur denon cannot handle the MCS1 as a centre spk meh?  Avr cannot handle main spks I agree, but centre spk mostly dialog.

bro, thats where you are wrong... center also got bassy punch effects. if your center spk itself cannot deliver you wont hear it.
Dynaudio Confidence C1 Signature, Center, Contour SR, DM3/7 IC17x4 Sub300x2 Sub600
Denon AVC-X8500H, Plinius CD-101, Tautoro, SA-103, Sony X800, PS4, Optoma UHD65, Panasonic CX700.
ProJect Q.