Author Topic: Which blank DVDs or CD rom discs will give you the best sound?  (Read 4923 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
Just thought of archiving some data, music and videos, so firstly is there a difference in quality?

I am assuming there is, since an old friend once told me to use the "Gold" Kodak CD ROM discs for anything important I wanted to archive, but is there an audible difference?

And which brands keeps well?

I have heard horror stories that the dye will not last 5 years?

Thanks
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2016/03/my-setup-march-2016.html

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+5)
You can get special archival grade blanks but they are quite expensive.

As for sonic difference, no short cuts unfortunately. Best would be to buy a small pack of several brands and try, at several different burn speeds. If you read forums dedicated to this subject, most major labels change their source once it a while, so quality will vary from batch to batch.

One very highly recommended black CD-R refused to burn reliably in my burner. I've also had deterioration problems (especially for data burned at the edge) for most brands after 2-3 years. So don't trust anything important on them.
Less is more !

Offline Quest

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Cyber Dreamer
err.. topic mentions best sound from cdr, but discussion seem to be for archival? :)

similar experience to  watchdog. find that most cd-r or dvd-r will die within a few years so its not the best for archival.

black cds were recommended since 10 yrs ago, but only for playback if i recall - not for archival. the only theory that i recall that supported this was just because the black reduces possible reflection or errors during reading by the laser.. not sure how true it is though.

Offline wwenze

• Trade Count: (0)
The Gold Kodaks are out of production since long time ago.

I still have many Taiyo Yudens and Verbatims CD-Rs readible, including an installer which was subject to frequent use and transport which should be more than 5years old now.

I have Mitsubishi/Verbatim DVDs that are over 5 years old too and expected to last much longer based on scans. With a good brand and proper storage (I used to swear by higher-grade Mitsubishi/Verbatim and earlier Taiyo Yuden up to 8x DVD-R) you won't have to worry about the discs dying on you.
Layman solutions to engineering problems don't exist.

Layman solutions that claim to solve problems in exchange for your money do.

Offline petetherock

Its both bro
I want to get good sound, but also for the recording to last.

I must say my old Kodak stuff did sound good, I used an old Yamaha 4x drive SCSI from my old Mac to burn them...
err.. topic mentions best sound from cdr, but discussion seem to be for archival? :)

similar experience to  watchdog. find that most cd-r or dvd-r will die within a few years so its not the best for archival.

black cds were recommended since 10 yrs ago, but only for playback if i recall - not for archival. the only theory that i recall that supported this was just because the black reduces possible reflection or errors during reading by the laser.. not sure how true it is though.

My gear:

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
I've given up archiving to CDs/DVDs. It's not reliable enough (IMO) and if they rot you might well find that your original has rotted as well. (As an aside: don't you think some earlier CDs were thicker and somehow sturdier?) Apart from that there's the headache of ripping then burning, and are you disciplined enough to check the burned version against the original? Burning adds a further potential for errors.

I back up everything to hard drives now. Of course, the hard drive might crash, so I use UnRaid. If one drive crashes I can still re-create it. (If two drives crash then I'm in trouble.) There are other RAID alternatives that can be explored.

It does take time to rip of course and that also has a potential for error, but I do use the "verify vs. original" option to check. In the end, my philosophy is that it's not a life-threatening disaster if I lose a CD or DVD (unless it's our wedding DVD  ;)).

Offline matty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • tubey day!!!

Offline watchdog

• Trade Count: (+5)
Interesting.

FWIW, my rips using EAC with Verbatim / Mitsubishi Metal AZO blue discs burnt at 1X on my Yamaha external SCSI drive consistently sound better than the original disc.

Doubting audiophile claimed it was impossible and was surprised when I demo-ed the difference.
Less is more !

Offline nbs

Interesting.

FWIW, my rips using EAC with Verbatim / Mitsubishi Metal AZO blue discs burnt at 1X on my Yamaha external SCSI drive consistently sound better than the original disc.

Doubting audiophile claimed it was impossible and was surprised when I demo-ed the difference.

This is quite obvious. Burn at slowere speed reduces errors and missing signals. That is why all MFSL and other numerous audiophile records and cds are doing mastering at half speed.  :)

If you want to best sound reproduction and longevity on top of that is to use 24k gold plated cds.

Thus you have to pay more if you want quality.

Offline hca2

some of my old autocad file that i burn 2x in kodak gold cdr year 1996 still can open, but my kodak gold cdr if i used today to burn some file can't used( kodak gold cdr bought year 1996 at simlim sq)

Offline petetherock

Re: Which blank DVDs or CD rom discs will give you the best sound?
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 14:15 »
I just bought a stack of "Professional" discs from a Brand Called E blue for CDs & DVDs, so far the DVD R+ have worked well for Desray's demo discs, but I have yet to find any gold-plated discs on the market?

Maybe there will be some at the IT show, anyone going down and lives near YCK?

My gear:

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 14:29 »
Pete, you looking for gold-plated DVDs? Might go down to IT Show later today. PM me budget/quantity.

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 18:36 »
Yah, where to get gold plated discs? BTW Have anyone seen Mitsubishi cdr phono blank discs for sale here?
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Offline ryechua

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 20:31 »
in my opinion, the kind of disc you use is not that significant if you are after the sound quality since you are converting analog signals into digital data (translated as pits and grooves onto the disks surface). the disks only differ in the physical quality - how long it would last.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 06:23 »
Ah bro, this is the "xtremeplace" which means we try and eke out the little additional differences...
Besides,I want to archive the music too.

I did consider the fact that a single 1 TB hard disk is now about 100 -150, so the cost of use a HD as a storage / archive is a possibility now, but using a CD allows my father a simple way to play his favorite hits. He is the main user of my 805s based audio system now...

in my opinion, the kind of disc you use is not that significant if you are after the sound quality since you are converting analog signals into digital data (translated as pits and grooves onto the disks surface). the disks only differ in the physical quality - how long it would last.

My gear: