Author Topic: Your All Time Favourite Movies & Whathaveyoubeenwatching?  (Read 241486 times)

Offline armoury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The lunatic is on the grass...
Re: My All Time Favourite Movies
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 10:14 »
Gotta say that I've always liked Hard Boiled more that ABT or Killer for that matter- you might call it a drone but I think it simply
does it all better by showing a little more class in everything.

IMHO of course ;)

I remember when people were exchanging limited edition DVDs for over 75 pounds sterling online  :o

That would be for the out-of-print Criterion edition.
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline wind30

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 14:26 »
Haha I thought that one sentence for Cinema Paradiso was enough. Not to say it is less worthy than those I wrote more. Did you checkout the extended directors cut which added 51min to it?  It has more back story on the present day director, Toto. I still prefer e theatrical version for it's tightness.

The Classic I like too. But the tricky thing abt it is that it tries to balance and mirror a present and past stories. If both are done well then it will be amaZing. But I always much prefer the past story more than the other. Just my thought. But I get movies work differently for different people becoz of our life experiences are diff. The Classic I did admit made me cry haha

I watch the extended director's cut but I think it is way too draggy. good for those people who loved the film. but if tyou haven't watched it before, the theatrical version is perfect.

The Classic present story is not that touching. I like the whole presentation though. it is such a cliche story and plot and YET the director can make it so touching to me.

I also cried in the cinema when the girl was chasing after the train asking the male lead that he must come back. ya, now that you mentioned it, the present day story was a bit weak and you feel the most for past story's characters. maybe it was intended as the present day story seems like a "sideshow" rather than 50-50.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 11:27 »
This is Quentin Taratino's top 20 films since 1992.  Battle Royale is his number one, the rest are in alphabetical order.  Always love his film insights - he can watch movies from the point of view of the common cinema-goer and yet give very pointed and inspired comments.  Underneath his big time movie director image definitely exist a film geekiness.  I have watched all except Anything Else (Woody Allen), Dazed & Confused and Fridays... but I do have these 3 on dvds... just gotta find me some time :P

Battle Royale
Anything Else
Audition
Blade
Boogie Nights
Dazed & Confused
Dogville
Fight Club
Fridays
The Host
The Insider
Joint Security Area
Lost In Translation
The Matrix
Memories of Murder
Police Story 3
Shaun of the Dead
Speed
Team America
Unbreakable

I disagree with Dogville though... was very difficult to watch.  Almost feel like watching a play on the big screen.  Gotta have a very open mind for it.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:38 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline redryder

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 16:07 »
I’m a closet romantic, but I abhor those formulaic romantic comedies (starring Kate Hudson & Matthew mc-dunno how to spell his name)

A few of my top movies are romances -

1.   Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2.   Brief Encounter
3.   Casablanca
4.   In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar Wai)

I’m a sucker for sad stories or unrequited romances, I’m sure you can see the common theme in my selections.

My favourite comedy is Top Secret!. My parents brought me to watch it in the old Lido theatre, and I have rewatched it countless times since. Never gets old.

I’m a trekkie, and I love Star Trek IV the most out of all the star trek movies, even more than Wrath of Khan.  No star wars for me!  :)

12 Monkeys – Spent hours discussing the plot with my friends after watching the movie.

Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds – Kill Bill’s soundtrack is my favourite movie soundtrack ever, and I loved the Pai Mei training bits so much (having grown up on those old Cantonese martial arts films). Inglorious Basterds is just so much fun.

The Usual Suspects - Went into this movie completely blind and it was an amazing experience. My friend and I were supposed to watch another show but it was fully booked so we just picked this at random. Gone are the days of getting surprised by an unknown movie.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 16:10 by redryder »

Offline kenasai

• I deppreciate myself as sai, cos we r not special!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 18:02 »
I’m a closet romantic, but I abhor those formulaic romantic comedies (starring Kate Hudson & Matthew mc-dunno how to spell his name)

Matthew McConaughey - How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days?
"Every major screw ups in financial history has Goldman Sachs behind em'... (Gold-Man-Sharks)"... It has grown bigger than ever!

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 00:15 »
when you mentioned formulaic rom-coms I thought you'd say Meg Ryan. She's a babe tho and I love her

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 00:46 »
I'm a closet romantic too, as evident in my list of favourites:

Meet Joe Black (personally this is my favourite Brad Pitt performance)
Chasing Amy (Kevin Smith at his best, though I wished the ending was a little better)
Sepet (Yasmin Ahmad + Sharifah Amani = magic!)
Life is beautiful (I just love the way Benigni tells this Holocaust story)
Before Sunrise, Before Sunset (again, the script is brilliant)
(500) days of Summer
High Fidelity
That Thing You Do

And the rest:

Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
Juno
Clerks
City of God
Shawshank Redemption
Armageddon  ::)

Any fans of the Malaysian director Yasmin Ahmad here? I must have seen Sepet like 5 times. Whenever Yasmin Ahmad and Sharifah Amani works together, it's just magic for me...
Love your music, not your equipment.

Offline Film Addict

• Snr Member
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 23:48 »
Some of my favorites are also in your list.

19  The Breakfast Club

The 80s definitely has some of the better high school movies. This and Ferris Buller's Day Off were definitely great. I'm glad I stumbled upon this a decade ago on ch5 one lazy weekend afternoon.

11  Leon the Professional

Love love this movie. And yes great performance all around.

10  Lord of the Rings

I was awe struck when I first saw this. It was if Middle Earth existed.

8  Once

I checked this movie out about a year ago because I had heard that it had a great soundtrack. And great it was. And I didn't know it did not get a theatrical release in Singapore. But that was expected...its not a movie that fills a theater...It mainly went the festival circuit and even in the US it only received a limited release. But, at least the movie got made. We got to hear the wonderful music...and the movie received a dvd release here.

2  Spiderman 2

I agree its one of the best superhero movie ever...and its a lot of fun too...and I love the narration/voice overs in the Spiderman movies.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 23:53 by Film Addict »

~~~ http://addictedtofilms.blogspot.com ~~~
                                                 ---my movie blog

Recent Posts
- The Scene: Before Sunset
- Random Look at Movie Costumes (In the Mood for Love)
- The Scene: Leon: The Professional ( I think in a few minutes you'll regret you never said anything) http://tinyurl.com/yjqazsc

Offline westendboy

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 01:29 »
Hi Film Addict, I  had a great time reading yr blog on yr top 20 list. Really interesting choices and u gave me 2 movies to seek out- in My Fathers Den and I Capture the Castle. This has always been my intention of writing this- so that I can seek out cool movies that I have missed. Thanks bro

On another note, so far this year, great stuff I have seen are Mother, Ikigami (didn't land up in Singapore), Summer Wars, and Up in the Air. Not sure whether they will land up in my top20 for this year but they will definitely be in my short list.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 01:42 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline Film Addict

• Snr Member
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 21:55 »
Haha actually its supposed to be 50 of the decade...but I've only manage to post 20 thus far. And do check those movies out...In My Fathers Den should be an easy find at a good rental store.

~~~ http://addictedtofilms.blogspot.com ~~~
                                                 ---my movie blog

Recent Posts
- The Scene: Before Sunset
- Random Look at Movie Costumes (In the Mood for Love)
- The Scene: Leon: The Professional ( I think in a few minutes you'll regret you never said anything) http://tinyurl.com/yjqazsc

Offline westendboy

Re: Your All Time Favourite Movies
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2011, 20:31 »
I'm a closet romantic too, as evident in my list of favourites:

Meet Joe Black (personally this is my favourite Brad Pitt performance)
Chasing Amy (Kevin Smith at his best, though I wished the ending was a little better)
Sepet (Yasmin Ahmad + Sharifah Amani = magic!)
Life is beautiful (I just love the way Benigni tells this Holocaust story)
Before Sunrise, Before Sunset (again, the script is brilliant)
(500) days of Summer
High Fidelity
That Thing You Do

And the rest:

Silence of the Lambs
Se7en
Juno
Clerks
City of God
Shawshank Redemption
Armageddon  ::)

Any fans of the Malaysian director Yasmin Ahmad here? I must have seen Sepet like 5 times. Whenever Yasmin Ahmad and Sharifah Amani works together, it's just magic for me...

Up for more movie sharing  :D

Sorry bro, I took more than a year to reply your post  ;D

Last night watched Armageddon on BD. Awesome SQ!  Really fun movie. I recall Deep Impact was also released around e same time. Two movies with e exact same premise but totally diff execution and tones.

I love Sepet!  I even drove to JB to watch it becoz IIRC it wasn't shown here. Lovely film. It's a shame e director has left us
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 22:17 by westendboy »

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2011, 00:33 »

Last night watched Armageddon on BD. Awesome SQ!  Really fun movie.

Armageddon...yeah. Lost count how many times I saw that one man. The scene where Bruce Willis detonated the bomb was perfectly executed. Never fails to send tingles down my spine. First time I saw it, almost cried. Damn you Michael Bay.

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2011, 06:42 »
Armageddon...yeah. Lost count how many times I saw that one man. The scene where Bruce Willis detonated the bomb was perfectly executed. Never fails to send tingles down my spine. First time I saw it, almost cried. Damn you Michael Bay.

Its considered a very rare 'masterpiece' for Bay's films.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2011, 07:24 »
I much prefer The Rock. It's a wide ride full of every action flick ingredient possible but everything blended so well. Both Armageddon and The Rock interestingly have one dialogue line in common - Bruce Willis ask e authorities who killed J F Kennedy and in The Rock, Nicholas Cage found e answer to that one.

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline naglfar

• Forever Underground
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2011, 09:42 »
Armageddon has Liv Tyler, The Rock don't have. Straight away lose  ;D