Author Topic: Your All Time Favourite Movies & Whathaveyoubeenwatching?  (Read 241483 times)

Offline armoury

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The lunatic is on the grass...
Re: My All Time Favourite Movies
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29 »
Dune??  ;)

I think I would have The Usual Suspects and Clerks amongst my top 20 

Oddly yes.  The story/script is a mess and incomprehensible if you've never read the book, and even then many, many liberties are taken.  But production value/art design is superb, and oddly its Lynch-ian trippiness works.  I think I have more DVD copies of Dune than any other -- offhand I think I already have 4 different releases, and when BD comes out I'll porbably get that too.  And add an old VHS widescreen copy as well. 

Call it a 'guilty pleasure'.  The title is "favourite", after all, not "best".

(As an aside, the 'weirding module' they introduced in the movie, that turns sound/voice into a weapon, does not exist in the book -- which only refers to some abstract "weirding way" as if it's some form of martial arts -- yet the concept of the Atreides using sound as a weapon is used in the Dune II game.)

I'd agree with Usual Suspects.  Not such a big fan of Clerks: I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't be in my top 20 favourites.

Whaddya know, Wikipedia as ever has an answer, for the Brat Pack:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brat_Pack_(actors)

I see I got the two core movies right.  Bah, I don't know whether to be pleased, or appalled, that I actually knew such useless trivia... 
There is no dark side of the moon really.  Matter of fact, it's all dark.

Offline vieri

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 10:58 »
No STAR WARS in this list?
Ive been a DeNiro fan so obviously films like Deer Hunter, The Mission, Midnight Run (very touching albeit profanity littered comedy), Heat are all up there in my list. Plus someone mentioned Johnie To's movies. Am hooked on to his films like the classic Election 1 &2, Throwdown & the very thought provoking "Mad Detective".
Let my people go!!!!!

Offline kenasai

• I deppreciate myself as sai, cos we r not special!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 13:37 »

I think I would have The Usual Suspects...

Oh yeah... Kaiser Soze! How can I leave that out from my fav list too...
"Every major screw ups in financial history has Goldman Sachs behind em'... (Gold-Man-Sharks)"... It has grown bigger than ever!

Offline armoury

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 14:25 »
No STAR WARS in this list?

Well, it was the very first one in my 'off the top of my head' selection.  And despite my whinging about not being able to definitively rank various movies from #1 to #20, But I daresay Star Wars would in fact be #1.  Partly for nostalgic reasons, of course.  Or sheer inertia, to look at it another way.

For westendboy, he does have ESB at #3. I guess he's not a big enough SW geek to put more in his top 20.  While I don't entirely disagree with most critics ranking ESB above SW, when it comes to 'favourite' I personally would put SW ahead of ESB.  Similarly, critics usually put G2 ahead of The Godfather, but I wouldn't.

Offline westendboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 14:40 »
My list from 20 to 2 is in alphabetical order, they are not ranked except my number one which is my numbero UNO.

I wanted to put SW in but I only have a limited choice. ESB will have to be the one but that said, I will never forget the first time I saw SW. I was wowed! I remember my parents brought me and after that we were walking at Yaohan and begged them to get me Luke and Darth Vader action figures at $5 each. But they said they used up all their spare cash on the movie. That's how 'poor' we were last time. Since then I have gotten back most of the SW toys and I dare say I have a really impressive collection. So I guess I am as rabid a  SW fan as any on this earth.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 14:52 by westendboy »
Have you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your head?

My movie and music blog:
http://reelthoughtsfromageek.wordpress.com

All things books:
http://fictionmattersfromageek.wordpress.com

Offline armoury

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 14:46 »
hmmmm... that makes your "top 20" sound more like a 'best of'.  Re-reading it carefully, it does seem like you tried to balance the entries; for me if I tried to do this exercise, I'd stick in whatever was indeed favourite, and both SW and ESB would probably show up, as would probably both G1 and G2.  (Note absence of the two part 3s of both trilogies...)

If you have the toys, I'll readily concede you may be a bigger SW geek than me.  I've never collected toys, although I do have the comics and books.

Offline wind30

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 14:55 »
why your writeup for cinema paradiso is sooo short?

Other than stephen chow shows, that was my all time favourite. Somehow that show really touched my heart when I first watched it. The pace of the show is not fast, not much action and yet I felt so much for the characters and the ending was really touching.

my another all time favourite is the korean love story, the Classic.

Offline westendboy

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 15:16 »
Haha I thought that one sentence for Cinema Paradiso was enough. Not to say it is less worthy than those I wrote more. Did you checkout the extended directors cut which added 51min to it?  It has more back story on the present day director, Toto. I still prefer e theatrical version for it's tightness.

The Classic I like too. But the tricky thing abt it is that it tries to balance and mirror a present and past stories. If both are done well then it will be amaZing. But I always much prefer the past story more than the other. Just my thought. But I get movies work differently for different people becoz of our life experiences are diff. The Classic I did admit made me cry haha

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline SiriuslyCold

• inter cathedra et pulpitum reae culpae est
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 15:26 »
Oddly yes.  The story/script is a mess and incomprehensible if you've never read the book, and even then many, many liberties are taken.  But production value/art design is superb, and oddly its Lynch-ian trippiness works.  I think I have more DVD copies of Dune than any other -- offhand I think I already have 4 different releases, and when BD comes out I'll porbably get that too.  And add an old VHS widescreen copy as well. 

Call it a 'guilty pleasure'.  The title is "favourite", after all, not "best".

thanks - you didn't really have to defend your choice - it's just that a lot of people think Dune was poorly executed. I, on the other hand, even enjoyed watching the miniseries

I see I got the two core movies right.  Bah, I don't know whether to be pleased, or appalled, that I actually knew such useless trivia... 
I'd go with appalled ;D

Offline armoury

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 17:03 »
thanks - you didn't really have to defend your choice - it's just that a lot of people think Dune was poorly executed. I, on the other hand, even enjoyed watching the miniseries

I also enjoyed the miniseries, for the exact opposite reasons compared to the movie: the script was faithful and therefore it was an accurate book-to-screen adaptation, but being a TV series, its production value was not as good as the movie.  Also, having watched the movie so often, you just get stuck with a view as to how each character looks, so the casting of the series could never live up to that in the movie.  In addition, they hired Vittorio Storraro, as either DP or lighting designer, but the way he works, he likes to use coloured lighting in distinguishing settings or moods, which is genius in the context of the theatre, or a highly stylised production, but is completely "unrealistic", and again having been 'spoiled' by the movie, made it even more jarring to watch.

Sorry, we're digressing into a Dune appreciation fanclub...  back to your regularly scheduled programming, westendboy's top 20 favourite movies...  just to comment I'd also rate Infernal Affairs quite highly, but no love for A Better Tomorrow (either 1 or 2)? 

Offline westendboy

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2010, 19:55 »
Have love for A Better Tomorrow 1 of course. It's one hella of an influential movie - after it, every other movie from HK is a deriative gangster copy. The scene that make me go wow is the scene Mark Gor clean e windscreen of his protege's car and his fren saw. I love the shot of Mak Gor limping into a basement carpark with a huge red No Smoking sign in e background. Awesome shot. I did some research on Woo's works and e scene where Waise Lee wipe e blood as he punched Mak in the nose was actually to rep Pontius Pilate wiping his hands to show that he will have nothing to do with Jesus death. Since I only wan 2 include one John Woo movie, The Killer is hands down my top.

A Better Tomorrow 2 was a huge stretch haha I mean Mak Gor has a twin. Still it had some awesome shootouts

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

Offline jimi

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 02:09 »
Gotta say that I've always liked Hard Boiled more that ABT or Killer for that matter- you might call it a drone but I think it simply
does it all better by showing a little more class in everything.

IMHO of course ;)

I remember when people were exchanging limited edition DVDs for over 75 pounds sterling online  :o

Offline landis

• http://i33.tinypic.com/i3up35.jpg
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 09:07 »
i love boys dont cry, adaptation, fargo, hudsucker proxy, joy luck club, name of the rose, a perfect world, matchstick men, monster, the color of money, etc. gosh too numerous to list here ;D

Offline westendboy

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 13:17 »
I love Fargo too. But e first time I saw it I just plain hated it. Through the years I have come love it's off-beatness and weird characters that goes to nuts once they did something wrong. Have searched and watched e entire Coen bros films. Fargo looks great on bluray.

Joy Luck Club was amazing too. Always make me tear up at the scene wen a mom tells her daughter "I see you" because e daughter is so frustrated at ht mom for putting her down each time there are guests. And it's an art to weave 8 stories together seamlessly.  So Asian haha

thanks for yr list. Very interesting films that not many people would put in their top 20

My movie and music blog:

All things books:

cheekycheeky

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 03:00 »
The PQ of Police Story 1 and 2 is really bad.  Every screen is filled with grain and no definition at all.  Sounds are definitely pushed up manually.  Sounds very false

Once Upon a trime in China not as bad but many times in one scene the lighting can change for another.  Sounds and bass are pushed up.  Oh... and you can literally see the wire as the baddie fights Jet Li in the warehouse in part 1. Haha

But still I never regretted getting them. . . I will double-dipped in a heartbeat once a remastered version comes out... seriously.

For HK blu-rays get the newer stuff like Johnnie To's Vengeance, The Exiled etc are amazing

thank you for the advice.. shall settle for dvds at the moment..

does anyone know where and which outlet specifically that stocks huge range of jackie chan, jet li, andy lau, chow yuen fatt dvds?

is HK cheaper for the above? better quality too?