Author Topic: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info  (Read 205391 times)

Online crazysurfer

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07 »

Let's get together some other time...

Good idea, in fact I'm also looking for an amp to paired with my 803S as I'm not satisfied with my current amp from Arcam as well. Was thinking along the lines of a Classe Stereo Amp but the price of the new CA-2300 is killing me. Any suggestions on a good combi with a reasonable price?

Online petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 08:31 »

Gosh, I wish I could. I am booked for Fried Rice Paradise tomorrow at 3 pm.
No worries, your speakers should be well run in, so enjoy it and you can upgrade the amp later on. It makes a huge difference...

A well maintained 805s makes a nice sonic investment, until the price of the newer 805D comes to a more reasonable level - don't get me wrong, the newer ones are nice, just not that well priced for the consumer who wants more sound but has a light wallet.

And for us who don't have large spaces, the 805s actually makes a lot of sense, and you don't lose as much in bass. But if busy orchestral music is your cup of tea, then a multiple driver floorstander may be more suitable.

Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2020/02/my-setup-22020.html

Online petetherock

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 08:33 »
Musical Fidelity makes a good combination with the 8 series. Good power from the 5, 5.5 or even the M series.
There is a M6 floating around, when it comes down to a realistic price, it will make a good investment - 200W is a nice way of controlling the 803s.

My gear:

Offline moronman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2010, 01:08 »
Thought I'd share my experience as a happy 805S owner. Glad I got mine before the big jump in price for the newer 805D (which I heard at TEG recently and wasn't sure the price jump justified it).

TBH the 805S was originally not only shortlist until I heard it (I was looking at Spendors). I like jazz vocals and these B&W speakers really do well with them - as far as bookshelves go. The good thing is they are pretty versatile with different types of electronics.

I've listened to them with a Cyrus 8Xpd integrated, then with a couple of Cyrus Mono Xs (loved that, but too ex for me) and now a couple of Bel Canto Ref500Ms.

The 8Xpd sounded good when I first heard it, but you could sense that the speakers wanted more power (okay for vocals, which I mostly listen to, but struggles a little with "complex" pieces). The Mono Xs, which I had a home loan, were detailed and sounded pretty "cosy" (sorry for my terminology as I'm a recent hi-fi buff). Finally, I got hold of the BC Ref500Ms, which really let the speakers open up. A lot more airy and room-filling, and it's clear the presentation is effortless. I am looking to plug in a really nice pre-amp/DAC to complete the current setup now...

To think this all started with the 805s.

If I upgrade from these B&Ws, it'd be to a really good floorstander, which will give some more bass (802s when I strike lottery). That's the only thing you can argue against the 805s if you are picky.

Offline dXter

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2010, 09:17 »
I too had hoped to getting one before the 805D arrived, but alas even the last demo pair were sold when I got the B&W store. I think you can look forward to the BC DAC/pre-amps for the synergy with your amps. :D

Online petetherock

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2010, 12:57 »
Thought I'd share my experience as a happy 805S owner. Glad I got mine before the big jump in price for the newer 805D (which I heard at TEG recently and wasn't sure the price jump justified it).

Nice review and basically agrees with my own observations:

- great for vocals, jazz and small orchestral pieces, not so great for complex large scale orchestra, or to fill up a huge room.

- easy to partner, but I would suggest avoiding too warm a source or amp

- they Love power, they swallow my 250 W per channel amp and happily sound better. So the better the amp, the better the sound. Krells, MF, Bel Cantos, all have been used to great success. Of course B/W will like you to use Classe too.

The issue with price is a real one, and it has been discussed before. Essentially, to enjoy them locally, either pay for the premium, or get a 2nd hand one when it becomes available.

The D series is significantly more costly but there are many audiophiles who won't bat an eyelid at the asking prices. They may not be in this forum, but 10-20k for speakers is nothing to the big players.

My gear:

Offline moronman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2010, 17:12 »
I too had hoped to getting one before the 805D arrived, but alas even the last demo pair were sold when I got the B&W store. I think you can look forward to the BC DAC/pre-amps for the synergy with your amps. :D

Heh, I just plugged in a BC DAC3.5 (only LNS1 and not VBS)... but I got a wide smile on my face now. :)

Offline moronman

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2010, 17:15 »

The issue with price is a real one, and it has been discussed before. Essentially, to enjoy them locally, either pay for the premium, or get a 2nd hand one when it becomes available.

The D series is significantly more costly but there are many audiophiles who won't bat an eyelid at the asking prices. They may not be in this forum, but 10-20k for speakers is nothing to the big players.
[/quote]

Agreed. This is one expensive hobby!

Online petetherock

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2010, 08:04 »
If I were to upgrade my 805s, I will consider getting the matching centre, which means my outlay is too mad at the current prices.

Hence I am happy to stay with it. The current system I used with it is very balanced, and besides my dad uses it more.
I am happily ripping my music into my Imac and preparing a server based on it.

My gear:

Offline dinoteddy

Stands for 805S
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2010, 08:58 »
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a stand for my 805S. really need some recommendations on what stands i shld be auditioning.
KEC Clarence recommend the SolidSteel "Tripod". It sounds not too bad.

Any other recommendation from the current 805S owners?

:)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 09:57 »
It depends on whether you are just going for looks or improvement to the sound/isolation...

But if you need both? ;)

http://www.taoc.gr.jp/wst60h.html

This is designed specifically for the 805s
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline dinoteddy

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 10:37 »
 :o

that's really looks nice. But how's TAOC stands performance?
Had read gd reviews on TAOC rack on XP but did not see anyone mentioned abt its spkrs stands.

Online petetherock

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 10:41 »
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a stand for my 805S. really need some recommendations on what stands i shld be auditioning.
KEC Clarence recommend the SolidSteel "Tripod". It sounds not too bad.

Any other recommendation from the current 805S owners?

:)
I am using Atacama SE 24 with spikes on the base plate. Half filled with Atabites. Happy with it. The B/W stands are nice but at 1k I rather spend my $$ on other things.

Get something solid.

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 10:51 »
Quote from: dinoteddy link=topic=71638.msg592024#msg592024 date=
:o

that's really looks nice. But how's TAOC stands performance?
Had read gd reviews on TAOC rack on XP but did not see anyone mentioned abt its spkrs stands.

TAOC provides tweaks. They also do footers, spikes and isolation bases etc and the stand also falls into a similar tweak. Best is to see if X Audio has a set then see if can bring yr speakers for an audition.

It seems odd to spend so much more on tweaks but if you like the sound signature, fine-tuning it is perhaps better than buying another component that changes that sound signature
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ilovepanerai

• nature of sound
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 11:04 »
It depends on whether you are just going for looks or improvement to the sound/isolation...

But if you need both? ;)

http://www.taoc.gr.jp/wst60h.html

This is designed specifically for the 805s

TAOC stands are excellent in terms of construction fit and finish,On SQ they may even out perform B&W original stands for the 805d or s. Of cos with that superiority all  comes with a price, costing abt 60% more than the 805s original stands.

Any budget in mind you wanna to put into your upcoming stands so we can advise/suggest.

Cheers 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal