Author Topic: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info  (Read 159669 times)

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
CM series
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2010, 08:11 »
C722, chase 78, and a few others own the CM 1.
Some threads:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73292.0

Comments:
http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=73292.0

The CM series is not as popular as the 6 series due to a couple of reasons IMO:

- HT, the 6 series is more value for HT and the smoother tone of the CM series does not encourage B/W enthusiasts to get it
- cost - as we all are aware, when it is compared to others in its class, you can find alternatives which are less costly. Its the same reason why Marantz is so popular. It costs significantly less in Singapore compare to other brands which are priced at the same band in other markets.

As for the sonic tone, it falls into a "nice" and "safe" sound - so it is none fatiguing, warm and easy to listen to for background music. It lacks the hump in the bass range like the MA RS 6, so that may not endear it to buyers looking for the "thump thump" kind of bass, and it is not high or treble happy and won't appeal to those who for example prefer the JM Lab / MA sound.

So where does it leave it? Well, I would avoid Arcam or Marantz to partner it if you are keen. Something a little more exciting to bring the best out of it. The older and obsolete 7xx series was a better buy IMO. But now with the price of the new 8XX, there is a significant gap in price between the CM and the new 8xx series. If you are not adverse to 2nd hand buys, the older 805s will give you more in sound and bass than the CM 7.
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
https://peteswrite.blogspot.sg/2018/03/my-setup-32018.html

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
Re: Bowers & Wilkins Speakers (REAL) owner's thread - tips and info
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2010, 09:04 »
Thanks Petetherock

My application is for both HT and music and the speakers need to be dynamic sounding but not to harsh for long listening. I think you describe that B&W will fit the latter but the formal is not as clear. Damn the 800s are so ex.

Would you think that it will be a sonic upgrade for me from MA Silvers to B&W 600 series? I would be needing floorstanders.

Cheers
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline petetherock

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2010, 09:20 »
Going from MAs to the CM is more of a lateral shift than a quantum leap IMO. You may also want to try out the MA RX series, which has been reputed to be more ear friendly than the RS series.
But as usual Auditioning is vital, my meat could be your poison.

But if music is really important, I would look for a better amp (read good stereo amp) to partner your speakers. It may be better to pay for for 6xx if your MAs are old, then get a decent 2nd pair of 805s for music.

Otherwise keep your MAs, then spend on the new stereo pair instead.

My gear:

Offline chase78

• Trade Count: (0)
    • wikichichi - design hotels and resorts in Asia
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 16:54 »
thanks bro petetherock for mentioning. ::)  :-*

so i contribute my 2 cents.

well as bro pete said cm1 is safe lo. safe and simple. its smooth in a way... good for vocals and classical music and strings and trumpet.

its like a wife / gf who is undemanding. u will not hiam her or find fault. def not sexy. depends on wat u like in life. the old monsoon audio salesman suggested cm1 and i took the bait, its was the end of monsoon selling B&w so they thrown in free stands to clear.

i think sound wise is one up from those popular quads 12L or something. but sound is below those mid to hi end models like rogers ls 35 or 805 or atc. not very detailed either. soundstage is generally good, depends on the source.

design wise is very very good with good scandinavian handiwork and finishing. magnet stick on covers.

do agree with petetherock comment that 805 better than cm7. 805 has that soul or midrange or something treble to it (i cant define). cm7 is like cm1 with more bass and freqs. still good nonetheless. 805 is like a souped up hifi version of cm1 (although now cant say that am a fan of 805 sound). its like same family but also different? Bro pete care to share your thoughts on this "family" sound?

lastly, cm1 uses the bass airport which has a sound of its own. its like a moving airy bass sound. one friend does nt like this. esp if you dun have stuff to absorb the bass like in my living room.

Bro dizzy, if u wan can come my place to listen. PM me. pairing up with old classe amp here. sounds good la, cant hiam, not fast not furious.

thanks guys.
Looking for Turntable
MUSIC: Apparat, Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Nick Drake, Jacky Cheung, Ry Cooder, Caetano Veloso, Bill Evans, Brad Mehldau, Gustavo Santaolalla, David Sylvian, Nick Cave, Brian Eno, Richard Bona, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Daniel Lanois, Santana, Michael Jackson, The Black Crowes
MOVIES: WKW, Johnny To, Michael Mann, Martin Scorsese
wikichichi - asia's finest design hotels and resorts

Offline petetherock

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 19:11 »
chase78
Maybe you can consider dropping by with your CM 1 and try it with the setup I have, then you will have the answer for yourself :)

The sound is different - the 805s is also a larger beast.

Its a pity that the 805D is significantly more. Many would aspire to the 8 series, but its a lot further away now.

My gear:

Offline chase78

• wikichichi - design hotels and resorts in Asia
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2010, 21:34 »
chase78
Maybe you can consider dropping by with your CM 1 and try it with the setup I have, then you will have the answer for yourself :)

The sound is different - the 805s is also a larger beast.

Its a pity that the 805D is significantly more. Many would aspire to the 8 series, but its a lot further away now.

i scared drop by your 805s beast eat my mini cute and innocent CM1 up. :P *chomp chomp*
still wanna check out your setup le... 8)

u mean 805d costs more? bnw jacking up prices na... they sound damn good?
Looking for Turntable
MUSIC: Apparat, Miles Davis, Keith Jarrett, Nick Drake, Jacky Cheung, Ry Cooder, Caetano Veloso, Bill Evans, Brad Mehldau, Gustavo Santaolalla, David Sylvian, Nick Cave, Brian Eno, Richard Bona, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Daniel Lanois, Santana, Michael Jackson, The Black Crowes
MOVIES: WKW, Johnny To, Michael Mann, Martin Scorsese
wikichichi - asia's finest design hotels and resorts

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 14:35 »
chase78

Thanks for your offer of audition. I will PM you to arrange.

Anyway I have went down to listen to CM7 and 804D but somehow I wasn't suck into the music. Not sure whether it is because there are using Arcam AVR to drive both speakers (not sure why Diamond is driven by Arcam AVR also) Although the sound is warm but it is not engaging enough for me and does not feel exciting at all. I am not able to describe audiophile terms like nice high mid lows etc but I want my future speakers to sound big and engaging. i.e I can tap to the song or make me immerse into the nice rythmn.

Also 804D pricing is way of the world. So good for me too as I cannot afford. CM7 dont appear to be an sonic upgrade versus my Monitor Audios.

Cheers
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline petetherock

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 22:37 »
chase78 and dizzy
I am doing a small gathering / movie night at my place this Sat after 8pm - YCK.
Pm me if you wish to attend.

My gear:

Offline chanfm

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2010, 22:43 »
Thanks to Pete and the rest for singing the praises of B&W. I bought a B&W 805S today and hooked it up to an Onkyo AVR. It is awesome. I hope to get a decent power amp soon to partner it.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 00:03 »
Thanks to Pete and the rest for singing the praises of B&W. I bought a B&W 805S today and hooked it up to an Onkyo AVR. It is awesome. I hope to get a decent power amp soon to partner it.

Well done bro, I think you will enjoy it more with a real stereo amp - ask chase78.... I think he had fun tonight with the 805s... will wait for him to get home first...

These speakers like power... (I guess you got them from Omegared? )

My gear:

Offline chanfm

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 00:19 »
Well done bro, I think you will enjoy it more with a real stereo amp - ask chase78.... I think he had fun tonight with the 805s... will wait for him to get home first...

These speakers like power... (I guess you got them from Omegared? )

yes, I got them from Omegared. Great condition. Do you think I should get a Krell or MF to partner it? I would love to hear your system sometime.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 00:25 »
Well Jimi is coming tomorrow about 3pm for an hour, you can come too if you wish.
Then you can hear what my MF A 5.5 sounds with the Oppo Nuforce.

yes, I got them from Omegared. Great condition. Do you think I should get a Krell or MF to partner it? I would love to hear your system sometime.

My gear:

Offline chanfm

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 00:30 »
Well Jimi is coming tomorrow about 3pm for an hour, you can come too if you wish.
Then you can hear what my MF A 5.5 sounds with the Oppo Nuforce.

Gosh, I wish I could. I am booked for Fried Rice Paradise tomorrow at 3 pm.

Offline crazysurfer

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2010, 00:56 »

Gosh, I wish I could. I am booked for Fried Rice Paradise tomorrow at 3 pm.

Just watch it today, a great musical but I still prefer the original with Dick Lee & Jacintha.

Offline chanfm

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2010, 01:01 »
Just watch it today, a great musical but I still prefer the original with Dick Lee & Jacintha.

Let's get together some other time...