Author Topic: What LPs have you just bought?  (Read 443024 times)

Offline Doggie Howser

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What LPs have you just bought?
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54 »
I've it in first pressed and few others.  ;D LP is so addictive. My collection from 0 to about 1200 LPs now in less than 3 months. Have to clear all my books to make way for them as more to come.

Holy crap!! This sounds like your headfi journey all over again. Never anything by halfs ;P

Are you still using the STAX?

I actually got cleaning machine before the flattener. Mine is the local DIY spin dry version which I find that it work the best for me. This DIY cleaning machine has many method of cleaning and it require some skill to get it right with different solution and brushes. Managed to master it and all my noisy used LPs sound as good as new after cleaning. Love it!

Where did you get it from? Roxy? I find that even with Roxy and Simply Music cleaning, still got some snapcracklepops.. I still get that from new too, so now trying the NittyGritty 1.5Fi which has the vacuum feature as well.

Talking about flattener, I've really bad experience dealing with Musiclink about it even as a regular. Not going to step into this shop for good. Those who're interested in it, you're better off getting from Modular Audio which provide better price as well as service even thought they're just a dealer.

I spoke to the guys at Simply Music and they said they stopped providing the flattening service. He claimed it didn't work well. Maybe cos they were using the older model which was not rated for 180g LPs like the new model you have.

FWIW, I found using a record clamp helps.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ical

• Vinyl Kills The MP3 Industry
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2010, 11:30 »
Haha! The Dark Side is too strong to resist. Now I usually hunt for those first or promo pressed. Spend less time with my Stax now (with CDP only)  after converting to the Dark Side. Maybe I should have a TT on my Stax system too.  ;D

Ordered my cleaning machine through Sky Audio (great service!). It run very quiet so I can listen to music and clean at the same time. It's fully manual, not plug and play kind of cleaning as compare to those auto machines. Did check out others but none impress me other than Clearaudio Double Matrix which cost a bomb. Just don't like the idea of the platter that the clean and dirty side is rest on. Btw, you can pass me your most noisy LP and I can show you my magic. Just PM me.  ;D

Both Simple Music and NDV is using the same machine which is the older version which can't be use for 180g. Record clamp does help but not for the outer rim that tend to warp most of the time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 19:55 by ical »
P9/ RB1000 | DV-XX2 MkII | PS.30RDT | TecnoWeight | STB-MS/ STB-CM | Clearaudio Matrix | Furutech DF2 | SK-EX | RL30Mk3/ RGC24/ REM8/ RCI3/ RR77 | Isotek Sigmas | CSE RK100 | QC24/ II-40 & nos Tungsol 6550 | SHL5 & Sound Anchor | Solidsteel 5.4 | SCB-RS50G/ TITE35S/ 25MF | Stax 717/ O2Mk1/ 404LE

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55 »
don't like the idea of the platter that the clean and dirty side is rest on.

That was one reason why I got the Nitty Gritty. The only support is on the "label" area and it cleans the underside, not the top.

Are u free next Wednesday? Got a company off day that day haha... I'll bring oranges.
End of Line - Derezzed

Offline ical

• Vinyl Kills The MP3 Industry
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2010, 14:00 »
Wednesday shouldn't be a problem. Just let me know.

Btw if you're looking for LP cleaning solution, I highly recommended the Mint, as well as their brush. Thought price is slightly higher, they work wonders for me. Decrease noise and improve sound quality. You can order direct or get it locally at Modular Audio.

http://www.mintlp.com/

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 19:52 by ical »
P9/ RB1000 | DV-XX2 MkII | PS.30RDT | TecnoWeight | STB-MS/ STB-CM | Clearaudio Matrix | Furutech DF2 | SK-EX | RL30Mk3/ RGC24/ REM8/ RCI3/ RR77 | Isotek Sigmas | CSE RK100 | QC24/ II-40 & nos Tungsol 6550 | SHL5 & Sound Anchor | Solidsteel 5.4 | SCB-RS50G/ TITE35S/ 25MF | Stax 717/ O2Mk1/ 404LE

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2010, 14:27 »
Cool. Good thing still have yr number from Jaben/SGHeadphone days ;)

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline j45yip

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2010, 23:17 »
...the recording in particular. same sound engineer or venue? i think FSG sounds exactly what you would expect from a studio recording. will look out for the "chase the clouds away" album. i'm not sure how my copy (SP4658) of FSG differs from your early reissue.
i know what you mean wrt the re-engineered stereo from mono recording. this is exactly why i'm not keen on getting art pepper's rhythm session album. sounds weird and dis-jointed.

You mean the catalog number? Or the recording?

Chase The Clouds Away sounds like a live recording.. there's less processing, simpler mike-ing etc and there's more "you are there".

"Feels So Good" sounds like a recording.. the mastering is pretty good but there's more of a "pseudo" stereo effect not unlike the Beatles in Stereo where instruments are artificially redirected to one side vs the other. Not as obvious as in Beatles so not as jarring. IMHO.

Vecteur D2 CD Transport, AN1865n-k Non-OS DAC
Thorens TD124MkII, MicroSeiki MA88, Expert Stylus 103 / Midas Touch
DACT CT100 / Custom Shunt Regulated PSU
5687 WOT Preamplifier
Behringer DCX2496
Type 45 SET monobloc / Radian950pb / AH204 Azurahorns
UcD180AN / Double Usher 15HM in Custom Vented Enclosures

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 14:22 »
My collection from 0 to about 1200 LPs now in less than 3 months. Have to clear all my books to make way for them as more to come.

How?  Even 3 months has only 90 days??

(Audio)

You need to buy an average of 13 LPs per day to acchieve this.....or you simply buy up the whole store!!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 14:26 by Audio »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 14:34 »
Audio has met his match ;)

someone as hardcore as he is!!!

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline kelso

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 14:38 »
Wow, my first record I think was 'Best of Bread' bought in the late 70s and up til now don't think break thru 500  ::) :'(
Waking up in the morning is the second hardest thing.

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 14:38 »
Audio has met his match ;)

someone as hardcore as he is!!!

What match??  I took over 40 years to achieve number of titles you did in just 90 days.......you call that a match??

And most of all, I just collect lousy CDs compared to your vastly superior Vinyls.,,....oh, i am not worthy....I am not worthy.......  :)

(Audio)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 14:47 by Audio »

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 14:48 »
What match??  I took over 40 years to achieve number of titles you did in just 90 days.......you call that a match??

And most of all, I just collect lousy CDs compared to your vastly superior Vinyls.,,....oh, i am not worthy....I am not worthy.......  :)

(Audio)

eh, it's not me lah!! it's iCal I was quoting!!!

;)

He's the hardcore one I was referring to...

You oso quite hardcore lah..  how fast to switch to BCD/Thiels completely?? ;)

ps if you ever moving to Dyns like your buddy, tong zhi ji sia ok? I chope yr MCS1
hehe

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 14:56 »
eh, it's not me lah!! it's iCal I was quoting!!!

;)

He's the hardcore one I was referring to...

You oso quite hardcore lah..  how fast to switch to BCD/Thiels completely?? ;)

ps if you ever moving to Dyns like your buddy, tong zhi ji sia ok? I chope yr MCS1
hehe

Cannot follow him...he is too champion already.  Tsk tsk, swallow up a C1 like licking a lollipop....

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 16:10 »
He need to think bigger ;)

Already got the 2.4s.. if wanna go Dyns, I think it'd have to be something along the scale of Temptations. Those sound really scary good!! ;)

Speaking of which, Temptations for you, sir? Audio?

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 16:24 »
He need to think bigger ;)

Already got the 2.4s.. if wanna go Dyns, I think it'd have to be something along the scale of Temptations. Those sound really scary good!! ;)

Speaking of which, Temptations for you, sir? Audio?

Yes, only way to ward off the "temptations" is to think BIG

Consequence is the only to go.........

See, suddenly temptations gone.....when you don't have the budget nor space in your home to buy one......

(Audio)

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 17:52 »
Hehe, I thot u looking to be francis' neighbour? Problem solved!
End of Line - Derezzed