Author Topic: What LPs have you just bought?  (Read 566202 times)

Offline Chowbotak

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Eternal Hostility against Tyranny
Re: What LPs have you just bought?
« Reply #3105 on: August 25, 2020, 17:52 »
Ah that's what RCM are for. Not that I have one at the moment tho ;D U got them from Stax of Wax? So far for me, I have much better luck with 12" as far as noise is concerned. Besides noise, my other discontentment is with off-centered spindle holes
I buy hifi to suit my music, not buy music to suit my hifi.

Online silencer13

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I have found Audiophile Nirvana and it cost me $40
    • Tokyo Fantasy Online Toy Store
« Reply #3106 on: August 26, 2020, 10:39 »
Ah that's what RCM are for. Not that I have one at the moment tho ;D U got them from Stax of Wax? So far for me, I have much better luck with 12" as far as noise is concerned. Besides noise, my other discontentment is with off-centered spindle holes

Unfortunately, no matter how much I clean, still can't get rid of the pop and scratch noises if they are already present on the disc. I am using a vacuum RCM followed by anti-static gun, not sure if a Ultrasonic cleaner will help?

Nope, not from Stax of Wax. Got from these 4 sellers, 2 from UK and 2 from US:
cjohnson22463 (US, very good selection, quality so-so)
funkyfrancofan69 (US, nice selection and excellent quality, even came with clear outer sleeve)
ChristiesMusicStore (UK, nice selection and good packing, item quality was good)

Yeah, same as you I prefer 12" singles. But most titles are not available on 12", especially US pressed titles. So no choice.
Lucky my tonearm tracks off-center discs quite well.

Online silencer13

« Reply #3107 on: August 26, 2020, 12:08 »
Ella live in berlin original mono is very good. How is the modern day issue?

I have to say, the Ella in Berlin is not bad at all!
I don't have the original version to compare, but I listened to this remastered version and I find it's good. Sound is clean and background dark. No complaints from me.

Offline francishuang

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3108 on: August 26, 2020, 13:04 »
Thanks for sharing boss.

This was a much younger ella singing live. Lots of interactions and energy from her. Very energetic performance as a whole from her and the band.

I have to say, the Ella in Berlin is not bad at all!
I don't have the original version to compare, but I listened to this remastered version and I find it's good. Sound is clean and background dark. No complaints from me.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 13:17 by francishuang »
EMT

Online silencer13

« Reply #3109 on: August 26, 2020, 14:17 »
Thanks for sharing boss.

This was a much younger ella singing live. Lots of interactions and energy from her. Very energetic performance as a whole from her and the band.

Yup, a stellar performance from Ella. Her confidence is superb, especially when she forgot the words to Mack the Knife and when she scats utter gibberish and still sounds so good.

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #3110 on: August 27, 2020, 07:15 »
Unfortunately, no matter how much I clean, still can't get rid of the pop and scratch noises if they are already present on the disc. I am using a vacuum RCM followed by anti-static gun, not sure if a Ultrasonic cleaner will help?

Nope, not from Stax of Wax. Got from these 4 sellers, 2 from UK and 2 from US:
cjohnson22463 (US, very good selection, quality so-so)
funkyfrancofan69 (US, nice selection and excellent quality, even came with clear outer sleeve)
ChristiesMusicStore (UK, nice selection and good packing, item quality was good)

Yeah, same as you I prefer 12" singles. But most titles are not available on 12", especially US pressed titles. So no choice.
Lucky my tonearm tracks off-center discs quite well.

Am also contemplating getting an ultrasonic cleaner but not too sure if it would be better than what you are using. Hope bros using them can share their experience. I have vinyl that looks clean and shiny but yet have background noise. If the noise does not take away the pleasure of listening to them, it's fine for me. Sometimes there could be groove damage so cleaning will not help

Offline annapurna

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3111 on: August 27, 2020, 15:42 »
Am also contemplating getting an ultrasonic cleaner but not too sure if it would be better than what you are using. Hope bros using them can share their experience. I have vinyl that looks clean and shiny but yet have background noise. If the noise does not take away the pleasure of listening to them, it's fine for me. Sometimes there could be groove damage so cleaning will not help

I seldom have noise issues on new vinyl.  I have some used vinyl which I bought used and no matter how I clean it is still very noisy.  However, with my own old records which I have for more than 20 years, they sounded much quieter to me.  So I guess the problem is not the cleaner, it is the used records that were played on a not well setup turntable and there are permanent wear and tear in the grooves that are not visible to the naked eye. 
SME20/12 V12 arm, Clearaudio Titanium V2, Pass XP27 Phono, Marantz SA10, CD7, NA11S1, Pass XP22 Pre, Gryphon Mephisto, Sonus Faber Lilium, Kimber PK10 Palladian, Shunyata Alpha Zitron & Yter PC, Yter XLR, bi-wire spkr cables, Nordost Tyr phono cables, PurePower PP+ 3000  Regenerator, TAOC ASR2, Furutech GTX-D NCF(R)

Offline Chowbotak

« Reply #3112 on: August 27, 2020, 17:17 »
Same here. Generally all new vinyls I have are noise free. Clean and shiny vinyl that have noise are usually decades old. Incidentally I also have vinyl that looks quite beat up but yet plays with minimal noise

Online silencer13

« Reply #3113 on: August 27, 2020, 17:50 »
I seldom have noise issues on new vinyl.  I have some used vinyl which I bought used and no matter how I clean it is still very noisy.  However, with my own old records which I have for more than 20 years, they sounded much quieter to me.  So I guess the problem is not the cleaner, it is the used records that were played on a not well setup turntable and there are permanent wear and tear in the grooves that are not visible to the naked eye. 

Yes, I totally agree with you. I also suspect it's the vinyl itself and there's no way to save it. Probably from wear and tear.

I also noticed it's company specific. For example, in my recent batch of 65 US pressed 7" vinyl, I found that ALL the A&M vinyl had a lot of noise, especially distortion and scratching noises on the left channel. Got around 8 Carpenters and some other artistes and all were quite bad. However Epic and Columbia vinyl fared better.

I was quite disappointed because they were listed as Mint condition, and visually they looked clean and no surface problems.

Offline malsound

« Reply #3114 on: August 28, 2020, 07:37 »
I found that ALL the A&M vinyl had a lot of noise, especially distortion and scratching noises on the left channel.

Possible long term antiskating over compensation or wrong azimuth, possibility play out of a jukebox.
why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE

https://youtu.be/FELbmXdS4xM

Online silencer13

« Reply #3115 on: August 28, 2020, 08:24 »
Possible long term antiskating over compensation or wrong azimuth, possibility play out of a jukebox.

Yeah, I think you're right. Probably all out of the same jukebox, hence all with the same problem.

Online simplybochup

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • All music is beautiful.
« Reply #3116 on: August 28, 2020, 08:36 »
Yeah, I think you're right. Probably all out of the same jukebox, hence all with the same problem.
Bro malsound is like Gregory house in the hit series “House” doing hifi differential diagnosis! Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Setup: Avid Diva 2, Marantz SA11S2, Whest 2 Phono Pre Amp, Diva Classic SE, Diva Blue Sky Power, Spendors S3e, Slinkylink, Mogami 2803
HT Setup: Panasonic Viera TX-55AS650B 55 inch Full HD LED, Epson EH-TW6600 3D Home Projector, Onkyo TXSR646, Oppo BDP 93, AC Ryan Media Box, VR SoundWave 3.5

Offline malsound

« Reply #3117 on: August 28, 2020, 16:37 »
Bro malsound is like Gregory house in the hit series “House” doing hifi differential diagnosis! Haha!

No choice, job requirement.  So now my mind force to thinks somewhat like this.  ;D

https://youtu.be/DkMptLZIk_g

why is it so dam  hard to obsoleted this turning pieces of equipment ?

https://youtu.be/y3RIHnK0_NE

https://youtu.be/FELbmXdS4xM

Online simplybochup

« Reply #3118 on: August 28, 2020, 17:47 »
No choice, job requirement.  So now my mind force to thinks somewhat like this.  ;D

https://youtu.be/DkMptLZIk_g
You are the man bro!! ;)

Audio Setup: Avid Diva 2, Marantz SA11S2, Whest 2 Phono Pre Amp, Diva Classic SE, Diva Blue Sky Power, Spendors S3e, Slinkylink, Mogami 2803
HT Setup: Panasonic Viera TX-55AS650B 55 inch Full HD LED, Epson EH-TW6600 3D Home Projector, Onkyo TXSR646, Oppo BDP 93, AC Ryan Media Box, VR SoundWave 3.5

Online simplybochup

« Reply #3119 on: August 29, 2020, 09:38 »

My new lps from us are here... Hee hee!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal