Author Topic: Naim Audio Thread  (Read 195245 times)

Offline xerox

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Naim Audio Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2011, 10:49 »
Hi naimster, how much would a Finite Elements cost?
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline xerox

« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52 »
hi tan if 122x/150x is powerful why you choose XS? I have friend thats is undecided between this 2.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline virtueblue

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10 »
Personally I auditioned XS and 122x/150x. The latter sound much better in my opinion.

Offline mrtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2011, 11:30 »
hi tan if 122x/150x is powerful why you choose XS? I have friend thats is undecided between this 2.

We did a A/B test in the showroom and feels that XS seems to gel music better. To me 122x/150x was like a raging bull with lots of bang and slam where you will be attracted to it but not for long. XS sounded more "right" where it paints a more holistic view of the whole picture esp to the background details allowing you to look /feel more into the music.
Naim N272, XPS-DR, 250DR, PLs and Fraim + Lite
Sopra N1

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2011, 12:32 »
Hi naimster, how much would a Finite Elements cost?
Not sure. Check with music by design.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline xerox

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2011, 18:08 »
@naimster - thanks for the listening session. Will tweak and catch up with you again. :)

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2011, 22:30 »
@naimster - thanks for the listening session. Will tweak and catch up with you again. :)
Welcomed. Good to hv neighbor naimees in the west area! They are a rare breed. LOL.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline mikapoh

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2011, 14:44 »
Hi all,
Currently, my naim XS equipments are each sitting directly on a MDF platform decoupling by bearing nuts from a long wooden bench.

I am planning to get a decent rack. Is FraimLite brings significant improvement to the sound? Which areas of improvements can I expect?

Thanks.
Naim CD5 XS, Nait XS, Harbeth  Compact 7ES3, NAC A5, Naim standard Din & powecord, AIME main distribution block.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2011, 16:01 »
When equipment level reaches a certain level, a significantly better rack will  be like a component upgrade. When I got my hutter moons back, the improvement is similar to changing from a hicap to a supercap on my 82.

Offline mikapoh

« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2011, 10:02 »
Thank you naimster for the thought.

I am contemplated to have a power supply upgrade to my naims but I've been advised to go for a decent rack instead.

And here you go to say changing rack is like upgrading our component....wow I've never thought of this before.

Naim CD5 XS, Nait XS, Harbeth  Compact 7ES3, NAC A5, Naim standard Din & powecord, AIME main distribution block.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2011, 10:18 »
Actually whichever option u take will reap benefits. Ultimately you want get both. ;D
Having said that getting a naim rack will make ur system look nicer and sounding better at the same time. point to note about naim racks... Their height is more or less catered for naim stuff so if one fine day you outgrown naim you will have to change racks unlike other more universal rack.

Offline mrtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 15:14 »
Hi all,
Currently, my naim XS equipments are each sitting directly on a MDF platform decoupling by bearing nuts from a long wooden bench.

I am planning to get a decent rack. Is FraimLite brings significant improvement to the sound? Which areas of improvements can I expect?

My encounters with fraimlite are more space around instruments and more depth.

Thanks.
Sopra N1

Offline mikapoh

« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 22:16 »
mrtan, do you think it is worth to get the FraimLite? Does it exceed your overall expectation?

Offline mrtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 22:57 »
mrtan, do you think it is worth to get the FraimLite? Does it exceed your overall expectation?

I find the build/quality is poor but its a nice pcs of upgrade if you do not have a proper rack now. I would opt for Rack of Silence when i move up to pre/power. Right now the fraimlite package is sufficient for my 2 devices.
Sopra N1

Offline mikapoh

« Reply #119 on: September 30, 2011, 16:31 »
I have quite made up my mind that my next wish-list is a proper rack, most likely a FraimLite. Although I think my naim kits deserve a better Hi-fi rack than just DIY wooden bench, my heart feels that a PSU is a better bet  :-[

I have heard many good things about a PSU brings to the main component. But now I have to force myself not to think that far. Just stick to the plan and work towards the goal of building a good sound foundation first.

I hope I've made the right choice for my hard earned money. Wish me luck.