Author Topic: Naim Audio Thread  (Read 166236 times)

Offline naimster

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My system
Re: Naim Audio Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 22:33 »
The only Dyns I was truly impressed is the non-ported Contour 2.8 with Esotar tweeter and a passive radiator. Another hard to drive speaker  but when driven well is impressive.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline scoobydoo

• In Naim, I trust.
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 22:43 »
... But i am not so much into their speaker and cables. ...

Ya... a friend of mine tells me politely that my SBLs are an "acquired taste"...  ;D

Nonetheless, I love it to bits. In my experience, only the DBLs and the acapella sounds as good.
In Naim, I trust.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 23:15 »
You havent heard a Naim driven ATC  ;D. BTW, the DBL drivers are from ATC.  ;D
Ya... a friend of mine tells me politely that my SBLs are an "acquired taste"...  ;D

Nonetheless, I love it to bits. In my experience, only the DBLs and the acapella sounds as good.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline xerox

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 23:58 »
Well i used to drive a Dyn focus 220 with a 250.2. Doesn't work for me at all. Bass was wooly and overblown. In the end sold it for a loss after a few months. That being said, i've heard the 110 is a better speaker than 220. Think i was too greedy thinking that floorstanders are better.  ;D

I have a small room thus cannot have Floorstander. I learned my lesson too, i downsize from floorstander to 110. So far so good, not much complaint. I don't expect too much from the 110, it is just an entry level bookshelf but it had exceeded my expectation.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline 42.2

• Snr Member
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 15:28 »
I have a small room thus cannot have Floorstander. I learned my lesson too, i downsize from floorstander to 110. So far so good, not much complaint. I don't expect too much from the 110, it is just an entry level bookshelf but it had exceeded my expectation.

Hi Xerox, i like Naim house sound too but had moved on to other makes as Naim is too expensive for me to upgrade.

Naim matches very well with Harbeth, try a P3 be it old or new, since you mentioned abt bookshelf.  It is easier to drive, nothing like ATC  ;D  But no doubt, given good power, ATC shines.  Not easy to move away if you like Naim sound.

Offline fx

• Dane_Don't_Lie
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 17:40 »

My room is 3.5m by 3.5m. Should I say downsize or upgrade from Sonus Faber Grand Piano floorstander to Dynaudio 1.3 SE bookself. The amazing dyn bookshelf outclass the sf floorstander in every sonic aspect. :o. There's no turning back. ;D  It needs powerful amp to shine.
Marantz67SE mod~Tube preamp~Korsun V8i power amp~Dynaudio 1.3SE~Fostex GS90A supertweeter
HT9.2-Oppo BDP95~Pioneer BD320~Sony S550~Onkyo TX-NR5007~Emotiva XPA3~Dynaudio 1.3SE~ Dynaudio 200C~Def Tech BP1.2X~Def Tech BP2X~Tannoy605~Rythmik FV15HP~Hsu MBM12MKII~Antimode 8033C~Pioneer 508XG/S
Rack: TAOC, Solidsteel, Cable: Slinkylink, Acoustic Zen, Mogami, Acrolink, Oyaide, Qed, Tweak: Symposium Rollerblock2+, Acostic Revive RR77, RD3, Marigo Labs Signature 3-D Mat, TAOC...

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 19:33 »
Paul Stephenson, boss of naim is in town next Tuesday. Who's going?

www.absolutesound.com.sg

Offline rahul

• Gooner
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 20:20 »
I'm steering clear of Dyns. Maybe the new black series compliments it, but i'm doubtful that my olives will do the job well. It was an expensive lesson learnt as i sold off a super new conditioned run-in spkr at a loss.

I think thats fair. A wrong combination can turn out to be an expensive mistake.
Naim power specs do look quite conservative. Perhaps they find it hard to retain their house sound with big chunky amps.

CDP: NAD C540    Plasma: Pioneer 427 AVR: Marantz SR5600     DVD: Oppo 981
Power Amp: Rotel 1075         Blu-Ray: Playstation 3  TubeAmp: Cayin MT12
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6/LCR/B1   Sub: SVS SB12+ , REL Strata II
-----------------------------------------------
Study HiFi setup
- Lavry DA11, Densen DM30, Audiolab 8000P, Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Kimber 8TC

Offline xerox

• Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 20:58 »
I think thats fair. A wrong combination can turn out to be an expensive mistake.
Naim power specs do look quite conservative. Perhaps they find it hard to retain their house sound with big chunky amps.

Yes Naim are conservative about the figure but it don't not mean it is under powered. I felt my 70 watt amp is more powerful then some of the big chunky amp out there thus IMO figure it not everything.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2010, 09:48 »
Bumping up the thread and at the same time wonder if there's any Naimees who hot rod their Naims with Avondale stuff?

I just did mine by replacing the original NAPA boards with NCC200s. The improvements are impressive!  :D

Offline ryder

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 14:48 »
May I ask if anybody compared the Naim XS to the Densen DM10? I would like to know what are the sonic differences between these two integrateds. Thanks in advance.

Offline asylum

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2011, 03:37 »
saw from UOB newsletter that there's 15% off on all naim products from absolute sound!

Offline ryder

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13 »
Asylum, you just resurrected an old thread.

It is funny sometimes to read some of the old responses we made on old threads. I noticed I asked a question more than a year ago on this thread. At that time I do not own a Naim yet. Now that I"ve jumped on the Naim bandwagon there is no turning back.

Offline mrtan

• Snr Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35 »
saw from UOB newsletter that there's 15% off on all naim products from absolute sound!

15% Off RRP still very ex...
Naim N272, XPS-DR, 250DR, PLs and Fraim + Lite
Sopra N1

Offline asylum

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 13:40 »
didn't want to create another thread for nth, so posted it here!

15% better than nothing! quite surprised to see 15% on a popular brand. was expecting 5% for popular brands ;D