Author Topic: Naim Audio Thread  (Read 171100 times)

Offline xerox

• Trade Count: (+1)
Naim Audio Thread
« on: January 26, 2010, 22:33 »
So far there is thread bout various brand of speakers, perhaps we can include source and amp too. I hope to find like-minded people who like Naim as much as i do.

A brief intro bout my Naim Journey, i used to own Naim Nait 3r, 5i amp as for CDP CD 3.5/CD5i and now 202/200/CDX2. In between i had MF, Lavardin, Primare and Arcam before.

I choose Naim for it's dynamics, speed, timing and musicality.  Any brother here like Naim too?  :P

Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline rahul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Gooner
Re: Naim Audio Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:53 »
I have heard a lot of good things about Naim and Dynaudio synergy.
Good to see that you are enjoying that combination.

Perhaps I will join you one day. Only problem is that with Naim you need to get a lot of their stuff to get the chemistry going. So thats an expensive proposition.
CDP: NAD C540    Plasma: Pioneer 427 AVR: Marantz SR5600     DVD: Oppo 981
Power Amp: Rotel 1075         Blu-Ray: Playstation 3  TubeAmp: Cayin MT12
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6/LCR/B1   Sub: SVS SB12+ , REL Strata II
-----------------------------------------------
Study HiFi setup
- Lavry DA11, Densen DM30, Audiolab 8000P, Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Kimber 8TC

Offline Jose

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:01 »
I use Naim too. Have been using CDS2/XPS2/Supercap/282/250.2/Allae for a few years. Have an itch to upgrade recently ....

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27 »
Rega P9/Rega Saturn/52/Supercap/135/ATC SCM19

Not true you need all Naim to have maximum synergy. Rega works fine. ATC works superbly. Sealed box bass with Harbeth midrange. Heard the Rega Isis CDP recently and it's superb. Reviews indicated it's in the class of CDS3/555PS for less than half the price.
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline xerox

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 10:47 »
Yeah i  don't believe in an all Naim setup. But i must admit their CDP is one of the best in the market and if you look at some review the Naim CDP is sometime use as a benchmark. But i am not so much into their speaker and cables. Their speakers and cable are too expensive and imo not worth it, i am currently using custom VDH din cable and VDH speaker wire.
Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:55 »
In terms of VFM, IMHO Rega source is much better VFM. Saturn can give a run for the money with a bare CDX2.

Naim are still renowned for their amps, especially the pre-amps. You will be surprised how good the higher end olives pre and power are even when compared to current incarnations. I am using AR Greenlink DIN-RCA which works a treat.

Having said that, the CDS2 is one heck of a player. Something I dont mind owning if price is right.

Yeah i  don't believe in an all Naim setup. But i must admit their CDP is one of the best in the market and if you look at some review the Naim CDP is sometime use as a benchmark. But i am not so much into their speaker and cables. Their speakers and cable are too expensive and imo not worth it, i am currently using custom VDH din cable and VDH speaker wire.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:11 by naimster »
There’s no point in having great presentation unless you have the content. I’d far rather talk to Einstein on the telephone than talk face to face to a doorman in a hotel. - Julian Vereker, Founder of Naim

Offline xerox

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32 »
For me i am not a fan of Rega Saturn thus i got myself a CDX2. Audit it before and don't like it thus goes for a CDX2 beside i prefer to have a single remote to control my entire system it is also for this reason i goes for CDX2. CDS2 is a great player i must admit.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 11:36 »
Can understand from a point of preference but in terms of performance, Saturn is up there with CDX2. I had a Apollo prior to Saturn, and thus had full confidence it when it comes to matching with a Naim system. It doesnt lose out in pace and timing even when compared to CDS2 but CDS2 has a more organic sound, vinyl like.

For me i am not a fan of Rega Saturn thus i got myself a CDX2. Audit it before and don't like it thus goes for a CDX2 beside i prefer to have a single remote to control my entire system it is also for this reason i goes for CDX2. CDS2 is a great player i must admit.

Offline xerox

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 11:45 »
Can understand from a point of preference but in terms of performance, Saturn is up there with CDX2. I had a Apollo prior to Saturn, and thus had full confidence it when it comes to matching with a Naim system. It doesnt lose out in pace and timing even when compared to CDS2 but CDS2 has a more organic sound, vinyl like.

I think this is more like brand preferences and i do not wish to comment much on the Rega Vs Naim and which is better, to each of it's own. But i would love to sell the entire  Naim someday and try other brand if i have extra $$$$  :P

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 11:55 »
Huh? Sell entire Naim and try other brand? Something you don't like about Naim or you just wanna have a change of sound.

For me, if I like a certain house sound I will stick to it and go upwards. If you're game enough, I say try ATC actives with a Naim source. It will be superb. May go that path one day, either with a Naim or Rega source. Sealed box bass rules. Somehow people have phobia of ATC cos of it's hard to drive nature but once well driven, it puts a lot of speaker to shame. There's a reason why it's used in a lot of music studios world wide over. It's ability to dig deep into the music with accuracy is hard to be beaten.

I think this is more like brand preferences and i do not wish to comment much on the Rega Vs Naim and which is better, to each of it's own. But i would love to sell the entire  Naim someday and try other brand if i have extra $$$$  :P

Offline xerox

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 14:09 »
Huh? Sell entire Naim and try other brand? Something you don't like about Naim or you just wanna have a change of sound.

For me, if I like a certain house sound I will stick to it and go upwards. If you're game enough, I say try ATC actives with a Naim source. It will be superb. May go that path one day, either with a Naim or Rega source. Sealed box bass rules. Somehow people have phobia of ATC cos of it's hard to drive nature but once well driven, it puts a lot of speaker to shame. There's a reason why it's used in a lot of music studios world wide over. It's ability to dig deep into the music with accuracy is hard to be beaten.

I like Naim house sound , just thinking of changing to explore other sound. Just a thought though, beside i had heard great comment bout ATC i think your 52/135 is well suit for the ATC not so sure bout my NAP200 though even though Naim are known to drive loads as low as 2 ohm (this is what i heard).

I am quite happy with my Naim/Dynaudio combi at the moment.

Offline naimster

• My system
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 16:05 »
No, the NAP200 will not be able to drive the ATCs well enough, not the SCM19 at least. Perhaps with a smaller ATC such as SCM11 or 7 it will be fine.

My 250 work fine at normal volumes but if I go louder (past 11 oclock on CD), thermal shutdown got activated. It's a power hungry speakers aright. Thus the need to go one up to 135. The 135 on the other hand worked very well. It ran much cooler with the fans and has a bigger sound. All those hype about 2 ohms...take it with pinch of salt. It's probably true for short duration but if you're talking about continuous listening at loud volumes, you will hit the amp bottleneck especially when dealing with low sensitivity speakers such as ATC.

I like Naim house sound , just thinking of changing to explore other sound. Just a thought though, beside i had heard great comment bout ATC i think your 52/135 is well suit for the ATC not so sure bout my NAP200 though even though Naim are known to drive loads as low as 2 ohm (this is what i heard).

I am quite happy with my Naim/Dynaudio combi at the moment.

Offline nautilus

• What do you want to change today?
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 21:47 »
Well i used to drive a Dyn focus 220 with a 250.2. Doesn't work for me at all. Bass was wooly and overblown. In the end sold it for a loss after a few months. That being said, i've heard the 110 is a better speaker than 220. Think i was too greedy thinking that floorstanders are better.  ;D
Naim ND555/555DR/552DR/500DR/Super Lumina cables/Fraim/B&W 803D3

Offline rahul

• Gooner
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 22:02 »
Well i used to drive a Dyn focus 220 with a 250.2. Doesn't work for me at all. Bass was wooly and overblown. In the end sold it for a loss after a few months. That being said, i've heard the 110 is a better speaker than 220. Think i was too greedy thinking that floorstanders are better.  ;D

Was it the original Focus 220  ?  Never heard it...but have read about the same wooly bass issue with this speaker from others as well.
Thats one of the specific shortcomings that Dynaudio addressed with Focus 220 MKII

So maybe you shot the wrong guy :-)
CDP: NAD C540    Plasma: Pioneer 427 AVR: Marantz SR5600     DVD: Oppo 981
Power Amp: Rotel 1075         Blu-Ray: Playstation 3  TubeAmp: Cayin MT12
Speakers: Monitor Audio RS6/LCR/B1   Sub: SVS SB12+ , REL Strata II
-----------------------------------------------
Study HiFi setup
- Lavry DA11, Densen DM30, Audiolab 8000P, Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII, Kimber 8TC

Offline nautilus

• What do you want to change today?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 22:16 »
Was it the original Focus 220  ?  Never heard it...but have read about the same wooly bass issue with this speaker from others as well.
Thats one of the specific shortcomings that Dynaudio addressed with Focus 220 MKII

So maybe you shot the wrong guy :-)

I'm steering clear of Dyns. Maybe the new black series compliments it, but i'm doubtful that my olives will do the job well. It was an expensive lesson learnt as i sold off a super new conditioned run-in spkr at a loss.
Naim ND555/555DR/552DR/500DR/Super Lumina cables/Fraim/B&W 803D3