Author Topic: Mac appreciation thread  (Read 213610 times)

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
Re: Mac appreciation thread
« Reply #1590 on: June 21, 2017, 16:52 »
My MBP storage capacity is low now and I see 60% usage by OTHERS.

Any ways I can look to clean the OTHERS pls?

I already the old iOS devices back up (iphone, ipad etc)

Thx
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline ootg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Argh! Not Again!
« Reply #1591 on: June 21, 2017, 18:48 »
My MBP storage capacity is low now and I see 60% usage by OTHERS.

I already the old iOS devices back up (iphone, ipad etc)

Thx
DizzyD: Please note that FLAC, DSF & DFF files are considered "Others"; and so are mkv files. I have a data drive, which is what I use for temporary storage/scratch disk, and most of it is considered "Others". It is similar to Amazon, which does not recognise AIFF as music files.

Offline DizzyD

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • I am a HTphile !
« Reply #1592 on: June 21, 2017, 21:16 »
Thanks

Let me filter those first
Main Rig: Mit HC7900DW II Cyrus 92" II Onkyo NR818 II Oppo 103D II JL E112 II Sony PS3 II Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSD II Wyred4Sound MC3 II MacMini II Dynaudio Focus 220MkII 200C II Antimode 8033 II NHT Monitor II

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #1593 on: June 21, 2017, 23:44 »
DD...lots of things can take up disk space...but at the same time there are lots of options these days to upgrade space in macs that are not the latest models
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline AndrewC

« Reply #1594 on: June 22, 2017, 07:08 »

Apple-logo button (top -left)
Select “About this Mac”
Click on “Storage” tab
Click on “Manage” to see the storage consumption distribution… and exact individual files that are in your “Others” category
You'll never get to heaven with a smile on your face from me.

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #1595 on: July 12, 2017, 23:08 »
Free Beats cans for education buyers:
https://www.apple.com/sg_edu_4911/shop
Get Beats wireless headphones when you buy an eligible Mac or iPad Pro for your studies.*
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline petetherock

« Reply #1596 on: October 15, 2017, 23:29 »
Bros do take note:
Itune 12.7 takes away the updating of apps within iTunes.
The last version which allows the current format is 12.6.7
Available here:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

My gear:

Offline zense

« Reply #1597 on: October 18, 2017, 21:08 »
Just sharing my personal experience... have been using jriver and some other pc software to do cd ripping some years back. Recently started with XLD on Mac... getting better rips from some of the cds which had errors before and now ripping without errors. Pleasantly surprised.

Offline ootg

• Argh! Not Again!
« Reply #1598 on: October 18, 2017, 21:43 »
Just sharing my personal experience... have been using jriver and some other pc software to do cd ripping some years back. Recently started with XLD on Mac... getting better rips from some of the cds which had errors before and now ripping without errors. Pleasantly surprised.
Also depends on the optical drive you are using. The Apple external optical drive is actually quite good for ripping.

Offline zense

« Reply #1599 on: October 19, 2017, 19:53 »
Also depends on the optical drive you are using. The Apple external optical drive is actually quite good for ripping.

True.

In my case though, it was an external buffalo drive which was used on first a win 7 > then 10 & with Mac OS Sierra -> High Siera. So when re-ripping the same CDs was expecting either the same or worse given the aging drive. 

Offline petetherock

« Reply #1600 on: August 15, 2018, 09:25 »
I want my Mac Mini too:
https://www.straitstimes.com/commentary-where-is-the-new-mac-mini

It has been almost four years since Apple released its current compact desktop computer
Believe it or not, Apple's Mac mini has not been updated for nearly four years. Yes, it has been 1,399 days since the last Mac mini was released in Oct 16, 2014.

For the uninitiated, the Mac mini is Apple's compact desktop computer and the cheapest Mac desktop available. It has a squarish unibody design with a small footprint.

It does not come with a monitor, keyboard or mouse. Thus, it provides Windows users, who already have these peripherals, with an economical way to switch.

And for some Mac users, it is an affordable computer for storing and managing files, music and documents at home. Some users even use it to run a mini server at home.

With such a long period since the Mac mini was last refreshed, one cannot help but wonder if Apple has given up on this model.

But last year, both Apple chief executive Tim Cook and marketing head Phil Schiller assured Mac users that the Mac mini is still an important product in Apple's line-up.

However, actions from Apple so far have suggested otherwise. I know of people who have given up waiting and ended up buying either an iMac or a Windows desktop to fulfil their needs.

I have a feeling that buying a Windows desktop might be more prevalent. Because I am thinking of doing the same.

Apple still sells this "ancient" computer at up to $2,748 for a maxed-out version. You can easily get a Windows mini desktop with the latest eighth-generation Intel Core i5 processors with that kind of money. By comparison, the Mac mini still uses fourth-generation Intel Core i5 or i7 processors.

I have a 2011 21-inch iMac that would not be able to run the upcoming macOS 10.14 Mojave. It continues to be my daily workhorse despite sometimes slowing down to a crawl.

I contemplated using my more powerful PC gaming rig for my work. But my workflow is so tied to the Mac that I really do not want to turn my gaming rig into a work computer. Furthermore, I wish to keep my PC for what it is meant to be - just for playing PC games.

Of course, I could use my MacBook Pro as my main machine and hook it up to the monitor in my study. But being a backup freak who loves to create backups of backup, I prefer to have a desktop computer at home that works like a mothership. One computer to make sure all my pictures, videos, music and documents are stored properly with automated backup.

Why not another iMac?

Well, I recently purchased a huge monitor (pending delivery). Thus, tabletop space will become very premium. I would not have space for another display like the iMac on my study desk.

I don't even mind if the new Mac mini does not have a physical overhaul or re-design. The design is good enough as it is, though it would be better if it becomes even smaller.

As long as the Mac mini comes with the latest processors, a larger storage capacity and support for 4K display, I would order it right away.

Just like the latest MacBook Pro models that came out of the blue, I am hoping that Apple surprises us too with a spanking new Mac mini in the near future.

My gear:

Offline francis wu

• Trade Count: (+5)
« Reply #1601 on: December 21, 2018, 09:38 »
Oops, hope this is not happening here in our shore. Nice headline though ;D
https://www.gizchina.com/2018/12/20/pple-ipad-pros-arriving-bent-out-of-the-factory/

Offline petetherock

My gear:

Offline desray

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bring the "Cinema experience" back home...
« Reply #1603 on: May 25, 2019, 09:21 »
More and more content creators/developers are getting fed up with Apple...especially with their "butterfly key switches" implemented across the Macbooks Pro series. Personally I think Apple should have stick to the old trusty keyboards instead of switching the entire Pro series to the slim profile butterfly switches. If slim and light is what you intend to portray for the New Macbook 12", then the use of the butterfly switches makes perfect sense BUT when you decide to roll it out for the Pro series where precision and reliability are 2 key factors for content creators/developers (their livelihood depends on it)...then this is where things starts to get ugly. Seems like Apple have not learn her lesson and the latest 2019 model STILL utilize the butterfly key switches. Let's see how this turns out...

Offline Audio

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #1604 on: May 27, 2019, 13:31 »
Ever since Apple introduced the 12" Macbook in 2015, I am already feeling the decline of the Apple laptops.

Switched to Microsoft Surface Book 1 & 2 and never look back.

Can you imagine, all Apple laptops have no touch screen yet!!

(Audio)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 16:10 by Audio »