Author Topic: Mac appreciation thread  (Read 209683 times)

francis woo

• Trade Count: (0)

Offline yellowhandman

Re: Mac appreciation thread
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 16:06 »
From what I recall, no.

The main issue is that these converters are uni-directional, ie they take a displayport FROM a computer source and then converts it TO HDMI on a display.

For the new iMacs, what you want to do is the reverse, ie take HDMI FROM source and convert it to displayport on monitor.

As francis' subsequent post shows, a third-party adaptor to enable the 27" iMac to accept other video inputs is in the works. In fact, I thought I recalled reading that Apple had specifically said that it was leaving it to third party vendors to create such adaptors. Apple's main purpose for adding the Displayport video input was to allow MacBook users to also use their iMac as a second monitor for the MacBook.

However, I've also read elsewhere that the Displayport input on the iMac might only accepts video signals, although the Displayport connector spec also allows for audio signals. If these reports are true, then it means that even if someone comes out with a HDMI-to-Displayport input adaptor, it will only work for video, and audio will have to be output from your player some other way.

In short, I'm not sure whether using the Displayport input to use the iMac to display input from a BD player is viable. I've edited my earlier post accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 16:14 by yellowhandman »
GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline Alpc

• Got my HT setup finally!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 23:09 »
Cheapest place for Adobe stuff is www.mine.com.sg but you need a student pass for each copy ... find a friendly niece or nephew  :o if you dont have kids of study age....

If you know MOE teachers, their pass will also do.  ;D

Offline petetherock

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sidere Mens Eadem Mutato
    • My Music, Movie and Equipment Musings...
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 17:15 »
Thank you everyone, esp DH and yellow.

NUS is in the process of some movement, I will try and press for a Mac - a little hard because the ones subsidised for campus are laptops and the IMac looks really fine...

Perhaps I can replace my folks' PC when it gives up and get a Mac for them.

Otherwise, the alternative is to consider using the Mac in my new Hi Fi room as a music source via Itunes.

I hope the Mac experts here continue to poison me, and aid the prodigal son back into the Mac world...

I once was so into Mac, I insisted a road trip to California include a detour of 300 miles to Cupertino... I even took a pic with the "7" logo on the lawn...

BTW, if I get a set from a retailer (non-university), my costs would be:

- 21" plus 4-8G ram - about 2k with GST?
- I can use Staroffice - free; KIV buy Office for Mac 2008
- iphotos first, KIV Photoshop
- Endnotes X2 for Mac (get my department to pay)
- SPSS - either do a boot camp thing to PC and use my license or I have to pay 5-600 for it (was going to use it for an Oppo or a new BR player...)
- external HD 1.5 TB for my research, scanner / printer (I assume all printers are now Mac- compatible?)

Cheers
Please post instead of sending a pm, so more can learn.

My gear:
http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2019/04/my-setup-42019.html

Offline jimi

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 20:28 »
I did a course on a program called Stata recently which is the latest program used by statisticians- they say its like a breath of fresh air after SPSS. Never used SPSS before so I really don't know.

Stata gives results faster because its text based (has menus too). Its an extremely powerful stats program.

Its ex at the moment, but can have student discount- not sure of the exact price but I think its was $300. Given your day job you might want to take a look at it  :)

http://www.stata.com/

Have no idea whether there's a Mac version- but as you know with these things, there probably will be one in about 5 yrs ;)

Actually that's my biggest beef with Mac stuff- lack of software choice compared with PCs. Also the worry that the hackers/ virus people will find new interest in the platform may be realised when the Mac becomes even more popular. Relatively, Macs are early in their cycle for computer protection. Can imagine the casualties will be high in the initial periods.  :P

Offline petetherock

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 20:33 »
Thanks, I used SAS - a pain in the ass... then SPSS because it is free for us on PC.

I might start with an Imac in the HT room - it only costs 1k or so?

Otherwise it may have to be the laptop...

My gear:

Offline yellowhandman

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 21:02 »
Thanks, I used SAS - a pain in the ass... then SPSS because it is free for us on PC.

I might start with an Imac in the HT room - it only costs 1k or so?

Otherwise it may have to be the laptop...

No, cheapest iMac is $1788...maybe you're thinking of a Mac mini?

I have a friend who has integrated a Mac mini into his HT...ripped all his DVDs and uses a third-party interface to browse everything. Plus all his music, and Hulu, and photos. Takes a lot of work setting up, but the end result is complete access to all your media.

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED! GO LAKERS! FORZA FERRARI!

Offline petetherock

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 21:09 »
 :o

I don't think I can do that kind of high level work.
I think I will keep my DVD collection. I spent a while recently cataloging the lot, and if I rip a DVD and it takes say an hour a piece, it would take me more than 600 hours...

So my aims are now increasingly modest...

You are right yellow: its the mini... I save on the screen, even if it is a lovely LED one, use my Pioneer, and play the music via my Denon AV amp.

My NUS choices are not cheap: http://www.nus.edu.sg/comcen/notebook/model/apple09a.html

A laptop will cost me 2.5k and up.... ouch.... but they come with Office and Photoshop though...

The other way is to get my Mac friends to sell me their minis, will ask some of those BRMC friends and ARPC ones if they wish to part with them....:)

My gear:

Offline jasonp

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 22:02 »
1. NeoOffice as an alternative to Office on OS X.
2. VirtualBox as a free option to Parallels and Vmware Fusion.
3. To ship a refurbished Mac from the States? Might also be cheaper to consider our immediate neighbour up north just across the Causeway.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 07:11 »
Thanks guys, I came to a temporary solution, my boss gave me a new Dell Mini 9 and my colleague is helping to convert it into a
"Hackintosh", any tips on this will be useful.

I will be using Star Office as my word and ppt alternative, unless others have a suggestion?
It will mainly be used for emails, music and some word / ppt.

My gear:

Offline simic

• I'm a llama!

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 11:54 »
I think the Atom support on 10.6 was lost after a recent update. So make sure you don't update the OS once you get it working on the Atom.

End of Line - Derezzed

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 12:59 »
Yup Atom support is gone guys...to curb the hackintosh netbook sector.

you can shrink down the OX builds and 10.6 is smaller than the 10.5 as I recall
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline petetherock

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 14:48 »
Actually this chap teateam has a patch for 10.6.2:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020&st=0

Yup Atom support is gone guys...to curb the hackintosh netbook sector.

you can shrink down the OX builds and 10.6 is smaller than the 10.5 as I recall

My gear:

Offline Doggie Howser

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 10:41 »
Not sure if this is a good deal or not but noticed a new mac shop in T3. You don't have to pay GST so that's a straight 7% off straight away. You usually don't get discounts off the list prices unless you have a student rate. At the moment, they have a promo running, which allows you to get $150 voucher for mac accessories.

End of Line - Derezzed