Author Topic: Emotiva Owners  (Read 708470 times)

Offline asianboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
Re: Emotiva Owners
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35 »
regarding the voltage,  are they in 240v or 110v?

both.

Offline wizardofoz

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dont take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive
Re: Emotiva Owners 240V
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 12:36 »
geez ppl.... this has been covered a dozen times or more... auto/dual voltage all current and recent products, and it says so on their site too.
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.
It's wonderful to behold as long as you don't let the magic smoke out.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline asianboy

Re: Emotiva Owners 240V
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2010, 12:40 »
geez ppl.... this has been covered a dozen times or more... auto/dual voltage all current and recent products, and it says so on their site too.

its easier to ask here.  :P

Offline sonofdbn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 08:02 »
Perhaps someone can help me out here. I asked Emotiva for a quote on an XPA-2, got the quote and then asked for payment instructions on 18 December. It's a bit odd that they don't give payment instructions immediately - why go through an extra step?

Anyway, until yesterday, I still hadn't received a quote from them. I'd been quite patient because of the possible Christmas and New Year break, but I followed up with an email and got a reply (from Cathy) asking for my Paypal email if I wanted to pay via Paypal. I find this a bit odd; doesn't the seller normally just give THEIR Paypal email account into which they want the money paid? I would have thought that normally the buyer's Paypal email account is not known to the seller. Otherwise there is a risk that someone tries to guess the Paypal password, once they have the email account.

So is this normal for Emotiva? I'm pretty reluctant to have my Paypal email account floating around in an email. I think I'd rather do a bank transfer.

What's also quite irritating is that the guy who initially sent me the quote says in a forwarded email (that I assume was inadvertently left in the thread) that he sent me payment instructions, which he definitely hadn't. His original email says: "If you are ready to purchase, just let me know and I will forward payment instructions."

Offline asianboy

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 09:29 »
Perhaps someone can help me out here. I asked Emotiva for a quote on an XPA-2, got the quote and then asked for payment instructions on 18 December. It's a bit odd that they don't give payment instructions immediately - why go through an extra step?

Anyway, until yesterday, I still hadn't received a quote from them. I'd been quite patient because of the possible Christmas and New Year break, but I followed up with an email and got a reply (from Cathy) asking for my Paypal email if I wanted to pay via Paypal. I find this a bit odd; doesn't the seller normally just give THEIR Paypal email account into which they want the money paid? I would have thought that normally the buyer's Paypal email account is not known to the seller. Otherwise there is a risk that someone tries to guess the Paypal password, once they have the email account.

So is this normal for Emotiva? I'm pretty reluctant to have my Paypal email account floating around in an email. I think I'd rather do a bank transfer.

What's also quite irritating is that the guy who initially sent me the quote says in a forwarded email (that I assume was inadvertently left in the thread) that he sent me payment instructions, which he definitely hadn't. His original email says: "If you are ready to purchase, just let me know and I will forward payment instructions."

yes they will send paypal invoice via paypal and they need your paypal email address to send. Usually they reply the emails within one working day and if you don't receive it by one or two days, you will have to follow up with them again.

Offline fabryuk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 10:57 »
Thks for the voltage clarification.  In US now for 1yr for training.  Just wondering whether I should buy th emotiva now and ship myself or only asking them to ship to sg.  US electronics are so cheap!!  so is computer products!

Offline edwin643

• Snr Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2010, 11:10 »
Hi sonofdbn,
I have created a new account with PayPal in Dec 09. Wanted to purchase XPA-2
Not able to pay with Visa to  Emotiva for USD 880 via PayPal due to risk factor imposed by them.
Pay directly to Emotiva via TT is the best solution.
Dump PayPal as their customer service is handled in China!!

Offline in1voice

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 12:38 »
From my experience, Paypal exchange rate is very bad.  TT can better rates, esp. if you have a friend who works in a bank and can get staff rates.

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2010, 13:02 »
As I have noted in past I have used Paypal on several occasions with Emotive and other US orders (monoprice, espressoparts, amazon, etc) and had no issues.

Paypal for me has 2 cards linked to it and they are SCB-Visa and AMEX Singapore issued cards, maybe other local banks are more cautious or it could be related to your credit scores...?
I have a pile of stuff that pushes out squiggly waveforms from smaller squiggly waveforms that sometimes come from 1's and 0's.

Life is short! Enjoy the music while it plays, when it stops, there might be a chair for you...or  maybe not.

Offline arsene

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2010, 17:42 »
I use UOB internet banking.  When I remit using TT, I receive a reply within 2 hours from Emotiva that they have received payment.  The exchange rate was then 1.38, better than what paypal can offer.

Offline ralfale

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 17:58 »
I thought TT can only be done at the bank counter and there are some admin charges for it? How to do it using internet banking? Can be done?

Offline asianboy

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 17:59 »
some banks can be done by internet banking.

Offline sonofdbn

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 20:16 »
yes they will send paypal invoice via paypal and they need your paypal email address to send. Usually they reply the emails within one working day and if you don't receive it by one or two days, you will have to follow up with them again.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Re Paypal exchange rates mentioned by other posters, I think it's set by the credit card company you use, not Paypal.

Anyway, I think I'll go with TT.

Offline ecalpemertx

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 12:08 »
I use UOB internet banking.  When I remit using TT, I receive a reply within 2 hours from Emotiva that they have received payment.  The exchange rate was then 1.38, better than what paypal can offer.

For TT, are you charged bank commission and cable charge? If you were, then your total S$ outlay against your US$ remittance would be higher than 1.38 i.e. total S$/US$ = exchange rate. This may work out to about the same rate if you had paid by paypal/credit card.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 12:22 by ecalpemertx »

Offline wizardofoz

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 15:04 »
int'l rates vary by bank and card type...a basic card will normally get a better rate than a gold card ... at least that's way it worked some years ago when I was in the industry. basically gold card holders pay more  - not huge amounts but there is a difference normally.

That said the exchange rates that the card companies use for interchange are very good normally as their buying rates on exchanges are normally good - most of the card companies like Visa and Master are exchanging many billions of $$ internationally every day